help with shock spring rate

sean06

Registered
Im in the process of putting my extended swingarm on the bike and figured that I might as well get the shock set up for the extra length and my weight. I have called a few of the shops and I am getting different info. Im planning on running the bike 5" over stock and Im right around 240lbs suited. Some say that I just need to revalve the shock and that the stock spring is enough. And others are telling me that I need to run a stiffer spring plus the stiffer valving. I would imagine that after adding 5 inches of length and my fat ass on it I would need a stiffer than stock spring, but then again what do i know:grind: So for those that are running an extended arm and weigh over 200 suited what did you do? and what kind of 60's are you pulling? Im hoping that with the added length and shock ill be able to pull some high 1.3x 60's I figure the stiffer spring will also help keep the tire off the tail light. Im trying to get the bike as long and low as possible without having to change the stock tail.

Don't have the #'s for the spring or the valving that you need...but yes you are gonna have to do the valving and the right spring to get those times you are shooting for. Even if you did not do the stretch the right shock will definitely help...PM 'Goldenchild'...he is a drag racer and a board sponsor...he can hook you up (pun intended) :thumbsup:

Goldenchild's website >>>>>>>>> CloudNineMotorSports.com Website is Gone

Im in the process of putting my extended swingarm on the bike and figured that I might as well get the shock set up for the extra length and my weight. I have called a few of the shops and I am getting different info. Im planning on running the bike 5" over stock and Im right around 240lbs suited. Some say that I just need to revalve the shock and that the stock spring is enough. And others are telling me that I need to run a stiffer spring plus the stiffer valving. I would imagine that after adding 5 inches of length and my fat ass on it I would need a stiffer than stock spring, but then again what do i know:grind: So for those that are running an extended arm and weigh over 200 suited what did you do? and what kind of 60's are you pulling? Im hoping that with the added length and shock ill be able to pull some high 1.3x 60's I figure the stiffer spring will also help keep the tire off the tail light. Im trying to get the bike as long and low as possible without having to change the stock tail.

First off, if you can post a picture of your bike from the side (upright) without you on it and one with you seated on the bike. Unless you can measure sag yourself. Your swingarm should be as straight-parallel to the ground as possible for starters. There are at least 25 members on this site with our re-sprung and revalved (shock dyno) tuned shocks the reviews have been outstanding as like everything else we do.

Once you extend the bike beyond the OEM length it takes more of a spring to keep the chassis up (think of the wheel barrel effect) then add a heavier rider, now that OEM spring is reaching its limit...then throw in hard launching and all is lost from their.

There is a specific formula for length, height, weight, purpose and power. A spring will help but to get 1.30's 60' you need a perfect set-up and perfect clutch hand and good rubber. A revalved and resprung shock is your best bet. This stuff is not rocket science but tuning a chassis without guidance is very tough.

Last edited:
With stock gearing 18/43 on a good track I can 60' 1.50's getting ready to go with a more aggressive sprocket set-up to help get out of the hole harder with less RPM. But check out how the bike sits 3" over, 2.5" of ground clearance. I am 220 dressed. Not a pro have been to the strip 7 times, foot shifting. Having a nice set-up helps. Short bikes are tougher to ride but build skill the fastest.

DSCF1079.jpg

Last edited:
Near lane is my retired ZX-14. 62" 300 HP....gets going well out of the hole. Just an 8.50 pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me working on my short times...61"

Last edited by a moderator:
BaBusa,Thanks for referral..

Sean,good talking to you about your setup,I think you have a grasp on what you wanting,where to go,and how to get there..If I can help ya I will,if not I wish you best on that path..

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may start with just a spring and go from there. my best 60' at swb has been 1.52 so Im hoping that the extra length will get me close to my goal. I just want a 8.99 on the stock motor.

thanks again for the help

With stock gearing 18/43 on a good track I can 60' 1.50's getting ready to go with a more aggressive sprocket set-up to help get out of the hole harder with less RPM. But check out how the bike sits 3" over, 2.5" of ground clearance. I am 220 dressed. Not a pro have been to the strip 7 times, foot shifting. Having a nice set-up helps. Short bikes are tougher to ride but build skill the fastest.

thats a great looking bike:thumbsup: Do you have any rubbing issues in the rear? And 3 over does that put the bike at 61" or so?

thats a great looking bike:thumbsup: Do you have any rubbing issues in the rear? And 3 over does that put the bike at 61" or so?
61" and no rubbing issues but the undertail area is nicely gutted for clearance.

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I may start with just a spring and go from there. my best 60' at swb has been 1.52 so Im hoping that the extra length will get me close to my goal. I just want a 8.99 on the stock motor.

thanks again for the help

You gonna need some more motor or nitrous,good air,some very good riding skills and great track conditions..9.99 is very possible..

Last edited:
4 tenths faster...hmm should be interesting, keep us posted. Traction issues stretched may get you slower times.

3.4 tenths will get me what I need, and Im hoping that traction wont be a problem with a power one race. But we will soon see, I will post as soon as I get it back together and to the track.

Those times were also in 2000+ DA air, so as soon as the temp drops around here that should help too. Wish me luck:cheerleader:

So far ive ran 9.33's at 154 at swb on stock motor so Im hoping I can go faster than 9.99 once i stretch it:thumbsup:

I thought about it after the post,lol...ya never know sounded like ya was just starting out when we spoke,didn't know you weren't green,lol...Good Times...

3.4 tenths will get me what I need, and Im hoping that traction wont be a problem with a power one race. But we will soon see, I will post as soon as I get it back together and to the track.

Those times were also in 2000+ DA air, so as soon as the temp drops around here that should help too. Wish me luck:cheerleader:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya once ya back together..

9.33 on stock wheelbase.. very good riding.. Dam I can't keep it down under half track. Share your secrets:bowdown: Im thinking of a stretch also. I think 8.99 is coming up..

Back