Valve cover gasket. Failure Stage 1

harrisonj89

Registered
Good morning everyone,

I have done a fair but of research and pretty sure this is what it is but I'd like solid confirmation from those that have seen it.

2007 Stock Motor w/RCCs Stage one kit running 7lbs.

95 degree weather here in Texas and I took the bike out for about an hour or so. Came off the highway and the temp gauge was reading right under the half way portion as usual. I stop at a red light and it climbs slightly as I sit. It sits just above the half way mark and the fan kicks on and it stays steady. So far this behavior is normal to me without having the oil cooler anymore.

I look down as the light turns green and the bike is in the red with the light on. Holy crap! I take off and it drops back to normal and stays this way until I pull into my driveway and she climbs right back up and coolant comes out of the overflow.

No visible signs of external leaking, no coolant/oil mix and no white smoke or smoke of any kind. Just overheated out of nowhere. All fluid levels normal except the little bit of coolant that came out of the overflow when I pulled into the garage.

I just took the fairings off and I'm looking at the valve cover gasket* and there is residue in various spots. Now what I don't know is if it's dirt, grime or coolant slowly leaking through. So before I clean everything off I'd like your guys take. Thanks in advance!!

15885252164623997207205430141226.jpg

15885252499166695695097231338218.jpg

15885255788863815765054013663286.jpg

Last edited:
No, that's definitely not your problem. A couple drops of oil out of the valve cover gasket is more of an annoyance. Send it to a professional have them look at it. You need to do a leak down test to find out what's going on in there. A leak down test will show if you cracked a ringland, pushed the gasket, burnt a valve, etc.

No, your overheating issue has nothing to do with a slight seepage from the valve cover gasket.
You need to go through the standard tests for diagnosing overheating.
It’s either air trapped in the cooling system or combustion gases entering the cooling system or lack of circulation of the coolant.

No, your overheating issue has nothing to do with a slight seepage from the valve cover gasket.
You need to go through the standard tests for diagnosing overheating.
It’s either air trapped in the cooling system or combustion gases entering the cooling system or lack of circulation of the coolant.
Hi. I would call Rob at Boosted Cycle 630-807-9002. He is in Houston Tx.

Where is the engine bolt for top left of motor ? Also is all the body work in place as it it important to directing air flow across the radiator for proper cooling . if inner black plastic parts are not in place the fan can draw warm air back around to the front of the radiator . Everything else stated by members above is thing to look at first . Seeing its a Gen 1 you might need a upgrade to a dual fan set up too like the Gen 2's use .

Where is the engine bolt for top left of motor ? Also is all the body work in place as it it important to directing air flow across the radiator for proper cooling . if inner black plastic parts are not in place the fan can draw warm air back around to the front of the radiator . Everything else stated by members above is thing to look at first . Seeing its a Gen 1 you might need a upgrade to a dual fan set up too like the Gen 2's use .
Yessir all of the plastic is in place as it should be. To answer your question about the engine bolt. I have frame sliders that attach utilizing that bolt and to remove the body work I have to remove that bolt. Same as the opposite side. The dual fan setup is definitely on the to-do list.

Reactions: c10
yes gixxer

the story sounds as if the head gasket is through.

what weird situation i had 5 or 6 years ago is that a ´99 came into my garage with exact that issue the ps described.

as a first (low cost) try i changed through some temp switches i had in the shelf - but no success.

then i moved the temp.-switch from the radiator to the main hose rh of the motor into a T and what shall i say - that worked at its best - till today.
(i definitely know because the bike comes nearly every year for new oil/filter and other maintenances.)

the temp gauge stays in a range of little below up to the white line in the middle of the gauge - no matter what temps she got from outside and we had temps here in berlin arrond 35-39 °C even in a traffic jam.

seriosly :
that move of the switch to the hose rh i strongly recommend at ALL gen1 from ´99 - ´07 .

btw:
i made that at both my ´00 as one of the very first things
and seriosly
every gen1 without the T in the rh hose gets it as an urgent must , when coming to my garage.

my entire description "of the move at a ´99" is available by this link.

for all those who have no idea where to get the T , here the direct link to @Kojak ´s shop :
Fan Temp Switch Relocator

and if you order the T order same time also the here so called "ASBS"
clutch rod (and seals) protector

Last edited:
Back