Overheated Today

Youkai

Registered
Background:

05 Busa
Stock engine
Hahn Stage 1 Kit
Fresh coolant, 2 months old.

Well it was a very cool, 65 degree's outside. Rode around and decided to do some high rpm runs on the highway. I did three runs to 10,000rpms in 3rd gear. After the 3rd run, I noticed my temp gauge exactly at the half-way point. Now this is kinda odd at 70-80 mph in 60 degree weather. I did a 2-3 mile cool down run and when I was back at the garage, the temp gauge was rapidly climbing and I heard my coolant boiling. I shut the bike off and waited till it stopped boiling. During this time, some coolant came out from the radiator overfill hose (about the amount of a normal drinking glass).

I then went for a 10-15 mile cool down run, only hitting boost in 6th once for a second to see if I hurt the engine. It ran in the normal temp range for cool weather and I put her away.

Two questions, is this an indication that the bike is running lean up top? And, did I do any damage to the engine, I am paranoid now?

Also, in all of this the fan did not turn on. In fact, the fan hasn't turned on since the turbo install no matter the temp gauge. I think I need to do the switch mod.

I took off the fuel pressure gauge after tuning, it was running fine before I took it off. So I don't think the pressure is dropping, but I am not sure. Any help is appreciated.

just means you need to burp the cooling system.

As for the temp fan switch.. check to make sure the sensor is working before you go moving it around.

Burping seemed to help mine yesterday but then it got a little over half again today, do I need to burp it regularly,will full throtle in 2nd & 3rd put a bubble in cooling system?

Thanks
TC

Hey JJ
took it to shop and you are rite' gasket is blown, not real bad, not real good either. Are you that good or lucky guess? Can you tell me anything I might have done to blow it?

Probably a bit to much boost that mitsu turbo's a good piece but with stock comprestion 6psi boost is a lot. also it may have had a little boost creep your lucky thats all you got was a head gasket. while heads off would be a good idea to put in a .060 spacer [under the cly's] then it would be a lot more tolerant of pump gas and if boost did jump up a couple of pounds it wouldn't hurt anything

Probably a bit to much boost that mitsu turbo's a good piece but with stock comprestion 6psi boost is a lot. also it may have had a little boost creep your lucky thats all you got was a head gasket. while heads off would be a good idea to put in a .060 spacer [under the cly's] then it would be a lot more tolerant of pump gas and if boost did jump up a couple of pounds it wouldn't hurt anything
in addition to the .060 spacer I would also put some ape cylinder studs & nuts with a cometic headgasket
winkold.gif

Back