Upgrading to a new bike

Plunk

Registered
Hello all.  Sorry to post in here.  I would have dropped this in the First-Time Void area but I don't have permission to post there.  I've been riding for about a year and a half.  I did a lot of posting on various motorcycle boards when I was looking to get into sport bikes.  I took the advice from Katanaplanet and SBN and got a '97 Katana 600.  I still remember the first time I rocked back on the throttle hard and passed 7k RPM.  When the kitty hits its power curve at 7k it comes alive.

I realize that the Kat is basically the bottom of the food chain but it's been a great starter bike.  I taught myself to ride on it.  I'm 22 but I'm a pretty conservative rider.  I use it a lot for transportation to and from school.  But riding in a college town has been a challenging life.  Little blue haired old ladies are always trying to share my lane with me in their big Lincolns.  In a year and a half I've put about 2k in town miles on my bike.

In May I graduate and I'm moving to a town of about 18k.  There's lots of old Harley riders there.  Some of them I actually know and I'd probably ride with.  I'll also be making trips back here (3 hr ride) to visit friends.  I'm thinking of upgrading to a bigger bike.  I'm not willing to leave the sport bike world.  A cruiser just isn't my thing.  I would go to an R6, R1 or GSXR 1k, but I'm a bit worried about the comfort for long rides.  I'd consider the Busa but I've been warned about it being too much.

I'm 6ft 200lb.  I'm 22, but I'm really a pretty laid back rider.  I'm really not into doing stunts and stupid stuff.  I mean to be old enough to be a burden to my children and to scare my grandchildren some day.  But for now I'm a single engineer with some money to play with
smile.gif

I'd really like your opinions on the possibility of a Busa as an upgrade.  Is it too much?  Is it comfortable on long rides?  I'll be in the Panhandle of Texas.  There aren't a lot of great twisties and it's pretty flat.  Failing a Busa, do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks for the time.

Sounds to me like if you can burry the needle on that Kat and are still comfortable about doing it then as long as you keep a cool head, I feel you are ready for a Busa. its pretty much a 1K with a little more balls but has the comfort of a tourer. The Busa after any bike will be a whole new learning experience (I know it was for me). Just take your time and grow with the bike and not let you or the bike outgrow eachother (thats when the $hit hits the fan). Keep your head here on earth and not in the clouds. Also, welcome to the fastest most extreme bike on the planet. hope to see you around! whatever you decide, post pic's!
egitarre77.gif
beerchug.gif

You're ready for a Busa if you are as conservative as you say. Just remember that when twist the throttle hard you may loose traction. That is the hardest part about riding a Busa vs. other bikes, mind blowing torque.

You're ready for a Busa if you are as conservative as you say. Just remember that when twist the throttle hard you may loose traction. That is the hardest part about riding a Busa vs. other bikes, mind blowing torque.
Welcome to the board, Plunk. Like discreet007 said the torque of the Busa is mind blowing. I still remember the first time I rocked back on the throttle hard and passed 7k RPM. When the kitty hits its power curve at 7k it comes alive.[/QUOTE]
One thing to keep in mine is that the Busa will do 85 mph in first gear. The Busa comes alive long before you even think of touching the throttle. Just take your time get use to the throttle and the weight of the Busa before you hit it to hard. You will get in very deep before you know what happen. I have the scars to prove it.
Jim

HEY I WEIGH ABOUT 230 LBS AND THOSE DAMN TESTS THEY PUBLISH IN ALL THE MAGAZINES ARE FROM LITTLE BIDDY 125LB GUYS RIDING THEM'
THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR CUBES ON THE STREET AND IF YOU HAVE A LEVEL HEAD YOU CAN RIDE BUSA.IT IS A PRETTY COOL BIKE TIL ABOUT 4000RPM,THEN IT STARTS TO GET HAIRY.WHEN YOU GET TO 6000RPM IT IS PSCHYO TO REDLINE.
IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU!!!!

Back