New To Hayabusa.org And Biking

jfskibumjr

Registered
Hey guys, this is my first post on hayabusa.org, but I've been looking around for a long time. I thought that since I'm going to be taking some safety and learner's courses that I might as well make a post. I've always loved the Hayabusa, but I am not an idiot. I know my own limitations and will NOT attempt starting on one. (A bit different from the other boneheaded posts you get from new riders on this forum, huh?)

However, I'm not certain what bike I want to start on. The cheapest option for me currently would be a GSX-R750, since my dad owns one. He said he'd be willing to sell to me way lower than a dealership. However, 750cc is still a HUGE bike for a newbie like myself. Do you think its doable, and, if so, what recommendations do you have?

If it helps, I'm 18 years old, about 5'7 and 125lbs. I've been driving cars (nothing high-end and no bikes) for the past 3 years or so.

Last edited:
First....welcome to the org..
That's alot of bike for a beginner. Mix in the 18yr old maturity, invincibility level (we all remember those days) it makes a bad combo. Not to mention the premium your gonna pay for insurance. Theres plenty of options to hone the skills on something less aggressive. There's rarely any do-overs with a mishap on two wheels. Whatever you decide, be most careful.

Welcome, and like 13013 said this is an inherently dangerous hobby. I would hope your father would be a good judge of your maturity level and if he thinks to can handle it then I wish you the best of luck and safe rides ahead. My son is 12 and has been racing for 5 years and will be on 2 wheels for life is my guess. I still dread the day he wants to put a bike on the streets.

It's your life and your an adult so you can do what you want.

But if you came here asking for advice then here is my 2 cents worth.
First if you came to this sight I can only assume you are interested in a sport bike style of bike.
If that is the case I would start with a much smaller bike, at least to start with.
A Yamaha YZFR3F, A Kawasaki Ninja 300 or a Honda CBR300R.
All of those LISTED for less then $5000 new in 2015. All have a top speed around 100 mph.

Get one of those or something comparable and use it for a few years.
If you have never ridden on the street with a bike there is a lot to learn.
Having too much power can get you into trouble real fast - trying to impress girls or peer pressure from friends is a recipe for bad things to happen.
And please don't say that would never happen.

Are you prepared to wear All the gear All the time? If it's too hot for gear - then don't ride.
Do you even have all the gear? Not your Dad's stuff either unless you are the exact same size.

It's good that you want to take safety classes and learn how to ride. But the real world has lots of dangers IF you know what to look for.
Most of that learning comes from riding, and the smaller the bike the easier it is to control especially when learning.

You can have a lot of fun on a smaller bike.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

I reckon a road trail bike would be good machine to start out on like a Kawasaki KLR 650 , Suzuki 650 V Strom or DR 650/400, something with some poke
but not too much, they have wide bars (vrs sportbike narrow) for better control/learning about counter steering while learning etc.

If you drop it while learning to do u turns no huge deal as its built to take some falls/scrapes..do this on a the GSXR750 and it will look second hand real fast
and can cost quite a few $ repairing.

Insurance wouldnt be too bad and buying one to start with would be fairly low.

Dont cheap out on properly fitted leathers/helmet/gloves/boots and as said wear All The Gear All The Time ( ATTGATT ).

Pretty much assumme no one sees you even if they're looking at you they will still pull out in front of you :(

Sounds as tho your onto things and your asking good questions - oh and welcome :thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the advise guys! I've been doing research as well as reading your comments. It seems like a lot of you guys are recommending 500cc or lower bikes for starting off. What about the Gixxer 600? It has A-B modes, so for learning on it would effectively be around 350-400cc. Then, once I feel comfortable with it, I can bump it up to 600cc to get the feel for a slightly more powerful engine.

Also, I appreciate the invincibility comment 13013. Sometimes, I do push myself farther than I should when in the heat of the moment. Outside of adrenaline situations, I'm very calm and rational. Once it gets flowing, though, its impossible for anyone my age to make completely informed, safe decisions.

Last edited:
Hey guys, this is my first post on hayabusa.org, but I've been looking around for a long time. I thought that since I'm going to be taking some safety and learner's courses that I might as well make a post. I've always loved the Hayabusa, but I am not an idiot. I know my own limitations and will NOT attempt starting on one. (A bit different from the other boneheaded posts you get from new riders on this forum, huh?)

However, I'm not certain what bike I want to start on. The cheapest option for me currently would be a GSX-R750, since my dad owns one. He said he'd be willing to sell to me way lower than a dealership. However, 750cc is still a HUGE bike for a newbie like myself. Do you think its doable, and, if so, what recommendations do you have?

If it helps, I'm 18 years old, about 5'7 and 125lbs. I've been driving cars (nothing high-end and no bikes) for the past 3 years or so.
Doable, yes. Depends on maturity and self control.would recommend a 750 to start(edit: I don't think you'll enjoy a 250 for more than a week and 750 has more power than 600 but it's up to you if you use it; more room to grow. Also pegs and those stunt cage things in case you drop it.), along with safety courses. Also shop for insurance it can be had for a good deal and go full coverage if possible ( most times this covers your helmet).

Also people don't see you and yes it's your fault( sport bikes have a bad rep, it's life live with it).

Last edited:
Regarding all the gear questions as well: my dad and I are the exact same size down to the half-inch, so he said I could borrow his gear while I'm learning and buy my own once I get a feel for the type of gear/fit I want.

Regarding all the gear questions as well:
my dad and I are the exact same size down to the half-inch,
so he said I could borrow his gear while I'm learning
and buy my own once I get a feel for the type of gear/fit I want.

Welcome to our fun little motorcycle riding world ~ get dirt bike seat time as well as street bike time . . .

That way you'll develop some riding habits that will work in an emergency !

If you drive a car more than you ride a motorcycle you'll have a hard time .

The guy in that YouTube link doesn't understand fundamentals.

He most likely drives more than he rides a motorcycle ?

So if you want to live to become an old man .

Put some dirt bike rides in too !

Please stay focused .

Red, *<(:{)-

Welcome to our fun little motorcycle riding world ~ get dirt bike seat time as well as street bike time . . .

That way you'll develop some riding habits that will work in an emergency !

If you drive a car more than you ride a motorcycle you'll have a hard time .

The guy in that YouTube link doesn't understand fundamentals.

He most likely drives more than he rides a motorcycle ?

So if you want to live to become an old man .

Put some dirt bike rides in too !

Please stay focused .

Red, *<:){)-

In response to this, believe me when I tell you I know the dangers of driving a motorcycle. When I was thirteen I watched a drunk man on a sport bike run a redlight and hit an 18-wheeler at well over 120mph. There was literally a femur on the ground that had all of the skin and muscle shredded right off.

Its a dangerous hobby, but a beautiful and practical one. Sometimes, there are risks you have to take to do something you might enjoy. Thanks to all of you guys for your advise! Once I decide what bike to get, I'll be sure to post some pictures here with my dad and I. You guys rock!

Best advice I can give is to start out in the dirt. Motogp riders to this day train on 100cc dirt bikes. Take a look at Colin Edwards bootcamp. Then transition to a lightweight Streetbike. The SV650 is the perfect logical first step here.

I traded my VW Squareback for A real nice GS750E my senior year of high school. I learned a ton on that bike. That GSXR likely makes about twice the power of my old GS! Learning how to use what that bike has might not come easy.

FWIW....... my 04 Busa was my first sport bike. It was my third bike. I had my first one for about 3 years (1988 Honda VLX-600), and my second I had for about a week (2006 HD Sportster). My third is the one I have now.

If you have self-control, then that's 80% of the battle. My advice would be to get a first bike that you won't mind dropping. I took a motorcycle safety course when I started riding, and it helped tremendously, especially for clutch control.

Also, my last piece of advice. Ultimately, you need to make your own decision. Some people will never approve of you owning the bike you want (or even a motorcycle in general). Others will tell you that you need to ride for 15 years before you can "safely" handle a Hayabusa. No one that I have ever talked to has ever told me that I should go ahead and get one. I've known people that had the Hayabusa as their first bike, and I know people who are trying to "work up" to it. I'd guess that there are a significant amount of people who would say that I wasn't ready for one when I got it. I didn't really care either way. I listened to the advice of people I cared for and respected, but ultimately made my own decision. You should do the same. GSX-R600, 750, or 1000.... they all go over 160mph, and you could die going 35mph.

Had I the opportunity, I would have jumped at the chance of having the 750. Ride it for a year or two, and then get the second bike. But keep the 750!

Either way, post some pics when you get it!! Welcome to the group.

Back