UNRESTRICTED???

AjnaNYC

Registered
Hi to all,

I'm currently on a GSXR-1100W and upgrading to a GSXR1300 soon. Although I'm trying to find out as much information as I can about the Busa's, there seems to be a little bit of a mystery to me as to what the difference is between the pre-2000 (unrestricted models) and the current ones?
What is actaully done to the bike to restrist it's capacity? Is it through gearing? In parts? Any help in the matter would be dearly appreciated - thanks!

PEACE.

Welcome to the board. Both the 99's and 00's are unrestricted they started it in 01. All they did was set up the computer so that the timing is retarded in 6th gear. There are ways around this. All you have to do is installed a resistor (tre mode) and it fools the bike so it thinks it's in 5th. No more restriction. :D This is the way I know but there are others here that will be able to tell you more.

it is NOT through timing it is the ECU in 6th gear will not go past 10.2 or what ever it kicks on.
Shoot by now people you would think would get it right :cussing:

Cheese is right, it is a fuel and ignition cut-off for the 6th gear restriction!

it is NOT through timing it is the ECU in 6th gear will not go past 10.2 or what ever it kicks on.
Sorry I forgot, but that is why I said that there are others that know more. Mine is unrestricked so I don't worry about it. :tounge:

Sorry I forgot, but that is why I said that there are others that know more.   Mine is unrestricked so I don't worry about it.  :tounge:
The ZX 12 retards the timing in 6th gear. It was on speedvision when the Kawi came on scene. It was supposed to be the Busa killer etc.. Showed a onboard vid of the bike goin through the gears and left the rider wondering why.. That was because it doesn't change the timing until half way through 6th. By then, you think it's wind resistance..

Sorry I forgot, but that is why I said that there are others that know more.   Mine is unrestricked so I don't worry about it.  :tounge:
The ZX 12 retards the timing in 6th gear. It was on speedvision  when the Kawi came on scene.  It was supposed to be the Busa killer etc..  Showed a onboard vid of the bike goin through the gears and left the rider wondering why.. That was because it doesn't change the timing until half way through 6th.  By then, you think it's wind resistance..
well shoot when did this board change to a zx12 board :withstupid:
I could care less what a slower ZX12 does last time i checked the person was asking about a Busa

I have been led to believe the ECU restricts power slightly in 1st,2nd,and 3rd by not allowing full ignition advance,then chops the fuel in 6th at 300kph(186 mph).By installing the resistor you constantly send the ECU the resistance it normally sees from the gear selector switch for 4th or 5th gear,which are not restricted.The only problem with the resistor I can see(opinion only)is that with it installed you get full advance at startup and in neutral.Cache was kind enough to supply me with resistors,but I haven't tried them yet.I have been meaning to ask him about it,but right now he has alot going on on his end.Can anyone tell me from experience what to expect from the resistors?I really would like to try a switchable TRE which would seem to address these issues.I have had my Busa on the top-end limiter three times now.By the way,this is sort of plagerisim as most of this info I gained from other people's experience on this board.A lot of good people here and there is little substitute for experience.

<!--EDIT|bronc3
Reason for Edit: "I'm a rock,had to correct stuff...."|1069593313 -->

If you get a restricted bike. Just get a switchable or a smart tre depending on what you wanna do. Keep this in mind. You do not need it unless you plan on going over 186 mph

Well thank you everyone for enlightening me on the 6th gear dilema. So am I to assume that all Busa's from '99 to current models run fairly much the same from 1st to 5th?
Also, what do I need for re-mapping the Busa apart from a Laptop which i already have ;)

Thanks again!

Shoot by now people you would think would get it right
cussing.gif
Yhea you would think.... I still see lots of people putting on TRE's thinking it is the only way to smooth out stumble. You also hear a lot of people talking about REv limiters in the same sentence.
sad.gif

Shoot by now people you would think would get it right
cussing.gif
Sorry I forgot, but that is why I said that there are others that know more.   Mine is unrestricked so I don't worry about it.  
tounge.gif
The ZX 12 retards the timing in 6th gear. It was on speedvision  when the Kawi came on scene.  It was supposed to be the Busa killer etc..  Showed a onboard vid of the bike goin through the gears and left the rider wondering why.. That was because it doesn't change the timing until half way through 6th.  By then, you think it's wind resistance..
well shoot when did this board change to a zx12 board
iamwithstupid.gif

I could care less what a slower ZX12 does last time i checked the person was asking about a Busa
jump9.gif
jump9.gif

Everytime I turn around just one more reason I have a Ninja Eater. On this board we talk about how they get beat...

jump9.gif

I have been led to believe the ECU restricts power slightly in 1st,2nd,and 3rd by not allowing full ignition advance,then chops the fuel in 6th at 300kph(186 mph).By installing the resistor you constantly send the ECU the resistance it normally sees from the gear selector switch for 4th or 5th gear,which are not restricted.The only problem with the resistor I can see(opinion only)is that with it installed you get full advance at startup and in neutral.Cache was kind enough to supply me with resistors,but I haven't tried them yet.I have been meaning to ask him about it,but right now he has alot going on on his end.Can anyone tell me from experience what to expect from the resistors?I really would like to try a switchable TRE which would seem to address these issues.I have had my Busa on the top-end limiter three times now.By the way,this is sort of plagerisim as most of this info I gained from other people's experience on this board.A lot of good people here and there is little substitute for experience.
You will see a little difference in the lower gears. But this can be done through your ECU or PC. The trade off will be that your idle changes. It will idle faster when in neutral then it will when clutch is pulled in. That is why lots of guys made switches to turn it on and off. On top end off everyday riding. Not worth it for the lower gears.

After installing an Ebay TRE on my 2003 I was cruising at 160MPH and the rear wheel locked up. I quicly grabbed the clutch, slowed down, down shifter to 5th and got the bike back up to 160 in 5th no problem. Then later cruising in 6th it did this again. I replace the TRE and had same issue on occasion. Finally yanked the TRE and never had any problems again with rear wheel lock up. I bought a 1999 and have no problems. The 1999 is also a bit more brutal off the line and might be considered dangerous for one of the restricted bike owners to jump on and expect the same ride. It's a lot different...

After installing an Ebay TRE on my 2003 I was cruising at 160MPH and the rear wheel locked up. I quicly grabbed the clutch, slowed down, down shifter to 5th and got the bike back up to 160 in 5th no problem. Then later cruising in 6th it did this again. I replace the TRE and had same issue on occasion. Finally yanked the TRE and never had any problems again with rear wheel lock up. I bought a 1999 and have no problems. The 1999 is also a bit more brutal off the line and might be considered dangerous for one of the restricted bike owners to jump on and expect the same ride. It's a lot different...

Not to thread jack I think you had other issues, I don't think you can electronically lock up the rear wheel at 160 mph. If the clutch freed the tire you may have had mechanical issues. But I am not a mechanically inclined . glad you still here :thumbsup:

I think that this may be a solution you are looking. I am sure there is more than 1 way to skin a Kawasaki ... error rabbit :laugh:

Cycle

Last edited:
Back