Is the 1999/2000 copper/silver more valuable than the black/grey?

Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I have decided to buy the 2000 copper & silver and stash it away. Let's see in 10 yrs if I get a return on my investment (ROI)!

I‘d always thought that color was only for the 99s. BTW, it took over 30 years for my first year CBX to be worth three times it’s purchase price. Good luck, the copper top is gorgeous.

Thanks everyone for all your inputs. I have decided to buy the 2000 copper & silver and stash it away. Let's see in 10 yrs if I get a return on my investment (ROI)!
I‘d always thought that color was only for the 99s. BTW, it took over 30 years for my first year CBX to be worth three times it’s purchase price. Good luck, the copper top is gorgeous.
99 was the only year for the copper. I think the other color was black. 00 was blue/silver or red/grey.

99 was the only year for the copper. I think the other color was black. 00 was blue/silver or red/grey.
Correction . . FYI '99 models also came in Red and Black like mine.
1575955672186.png

Good luck, hopefully in years to come motorcycles are regulated out of existence and there are still people interested in buying them. I wonder if the people who are growing up now will even know or care what a Hayabusa is in 10-20+ years.

I know from experience around my area, the younger crowd could care less about a Hayabusa (or most bikes). The only people who are somewhat interested in my bike when I pull into anywhere are older guys like myself.

Good luck, hopefully in years to come motorcycles are regulated out of existence and there are still people interested in buying them. I wonder if the people who are growing up now will even know or care what a Hayabusa is in 10-20+ years.

I know from experience around my area, the younger crowd could care less about a Hayabusa (or most bikes). The only people who are somewhat interested in my bike when I pull into anywhere are older guys like myself.
@Yellow09 you are absolutely right.
I usually i ride 200-400 miles, on mational highways, and mountain roads.
In all these miles I see only a few motorcycles. The younger generations do not ride a motorcycle, they live in the cloud of social networks. So I'm sure, Suzuki won't design a new one Gen 3 Busa.

This. Buying a mass produced bike as an investment is unwise, there are too many used ones floating around for even a mint unmolested one to command good money. There are far better things to do with your money if you're looking for a return. If you just want an unrestricted Gen 1 just to have, then the copper is the better color, because it wasn't repeated. A Gen 2 is a better bike to purchase if you plan on riding it.

Ya...what he said.
hopefully in years to come motorcycles are regulated out of existence
:crazy:

Here is my latest Busa buyin story. I have had great luck.

The previous owner spent about 60 thousand dollars. Bought brand new.Sent imediately to Richard at RCC. All the good stuff bought,done right.Brand new motor gets Wossner turbo pistons,Carrilo rods,the good stuff valves springs,insanely huge clutch,extended output shaft(no jack here) on and on,blah blah...

I offered 20 grand. He took it. He took a $40,000.oo dollar hit.:banghead:

Motorcycles as an investment...I dunno...:race: Just ride em.

Rubb.

The color question. Which is fastest...just kiddin' :laugh:

I had this supposedly Canada Only paint scheme. "Canadian Gold Edition."

Maybe I should have kept them all. Retirement fund.

Other members have said they were imported to their countries too.I dunno.

She was my 3rd Busa,I think. LOL.

Rubb.

Ya...what he said.
:crazy:

Here is my latest Busa buyin story. I have had great luck.

The previous owner spent about 60 thousand dollars. Bought brand new.Sent imediately to Richard at RCC. All the good stuff bought,done right.Brand new motor gets Wossner turbo pistons,Carrilo rods,the good stuff valves springs,insanely huge clutch,extended output shaft(no jack here) on and on,blah blah...

I offered 20 grand. He took it. He took a $40,000.oo dollar hit.:banghead:

Motorcycles as an investment...I dunno...:race: Just ride em.

Rubb.View attachment 1609260

I agree, just ride them...

Makes sense to me...anything outside of real estate is hard to get to appreciate and even that can be a crap shoot sometimes.

I think the market for antique bikes and cars will soon crash as the older people who are buying them stop buying them. The younger generation has zero interest in the older stuff. Look at the crowd at Barrett Jackson sometime..you can pick out the younger people as they stand out amongst the older buyers (who are the predominate people in the crowd)

I agree yellow. There will always be the odd younger kid who loves the old stuff...but there wont be enuff of them to support the market.:confused:

RSD.

So true bro and it’s usually guys in there 50s + coming to check it out which is pretty awesome to me but the millennials and younger guys don’t give a &@?t lol

Just to give a little clarity; I said copper/silver 2000 hayabusa. It's a European spec. In the US they only made the Copper/Silver in 1999 but Europe it was also done in 2000.

Some people feel it will never be a collectible because the hayabusa was a mass production bike. But I challenge you to find a (2)1999 or 2000 Copper/Silver unmolested Hayabusa...i've tried. Now that's where the rarity factor in: 1. first production year 2. Unrestricted 3.Special Color 4. Cant find all orginal This is all the making of a collectible item.

Just to give a little clarity; I said copper/silver 2000 hayabusa. It's a European spec. In the US they only made the Copper/Silver in 1999 but Europe it was also done in 2000.

Some people feel it will never be a collectible because the hayabusa was a mass production bike. But I challenge you to find a (2)1999 or 2000 Copper/Silver unmolested Hayabusa...i've tried. Now that's where the rarity factor in: 1. first production year 2. Unrestricted 3.Special Color 4. Cant find all orginal This is all the making of a collectible item.
It's probably the last of the unrestricted where some did cross into early 2000 build dates. My Blue K8 is actually an 07 build but we all know it's a Gen2.

That and the fact it's the 34th Busa off the production line for a Gen 2.

The color question. Which is fastest...just kiddin' :laugh:

I had this supposedly Canada Only paint scheme. "Canadian Gold Edition."

Maybe I should have kept them all. Retirement fund.View attachment 1609261

Other members have said they were imported to their countries too.I dunno.

She was my 3rd Busa,I think. LOL.

Rubb.
Yep we got those colours in 2009 in Aus.

If you trace hot classic muscle car values, even for the best of the best, if one had put the same money into the stock market, they would have more money today than the car value of a million dollars at auction. In purely money terms buying this bike and holding onto it will be a relatively poor financial investment. If there are other reasons for holding it, like you have a great need to help preserve a classic bike, that would be more valuable than for investment.

In that vein, the copper/silver is just a paint scheme. The classic vehicles that are worth a great deal of money had something differentiating them. A 60's corvette with fuel injection or a 327 that revved to the moon, etc. The one you are collecting has nothing but color over the millions of others that were produced. I challenge you to identify any example of a color scheme that alone generated a great deal more value than other vehicles.

According to my googling the top specimen of the very first year run 1953 Corvettes is worth $344, 000.

1953 Corvette MSRP: $3,513. In today's dollar this car would sell new at $33,841.64. Value today: $344000.

As you can see, the pristine, first edition collector's car is worth merely ten times the original MSRP. This is after 66 YEARS! This car was in far lower volumes than most motorcycles produced today. And there is a half of a century of Corvette collectors out there vying for old cars! How many Hayabusa collectors are there?

The very top muscle cars command a half a million dollars, so fifteen times their original purchase price. Sounds like a lot, but diminishes completely when we consider that the vehicle provides no dividends over that time.

In the past twenty years only you can find several successful companies whose stock has increased from thirty to forty times. Forget it if you had put that $3513 in GM in 1953. The return would be insane.

Thus for any parallel example you can find, holding onto a vehicle is a poor financial decision. And with the volume produced, the result will clearly be far lower than past vehicles. None of the above even took into account the cost of storing a vehicle, insuring it, etc.

If you trace hot classic muscle car values, even for the best of the best, if one had put the same money into the stock market, they would have more money today than the car value of a million dollars at auction. In purely money terms buying this bike and holding onto it will be a relatively poor financial investment. If there are other reasons for holding it, like you have a great need to help preserve a classic bike, that would be more valuable than for investment.

In that vein, the copper/silver is just a paint scheme. The classic vehicles that are worth a great deal of money had something differentiating them. A 60's corvette with fuel injection or a 327 that revved to the moon, etc. The one you are collecting has nothing but color over the millions of others that were produced. I challenge you to identify any example of a color scheme that alone generated a great deal more value than other vehicles.

According to my googling the top specimen of the very first year run 1953 Corvettes is worth $344, 000.

1953 Corvette MSRP: $3,513. In today's dollar this car would sell new at $33,841.64. Value today: $344000.

As you can see, the pristine, first edition collector's car is worth merely ten times the original MSRP. This is after 66 YEARS! This car was in far lower volumes than most motorcycles produced today. And there is a half of a century of Corvette collectors out there vying for old cars! How many Hayabusa collectors are there?

The very top muscle cars command a half a million dollars, so fifteen times their original purchase price. Sounds like a lot, but diminishes completely when we consider that the vehicle provides no dividends over that time.

In the past twenty years only you can find several successful companies whose stock has increased from thirty to forty times. Forget it if you had put that $3513 in GM in 1953. The return would be insane.

Thus for any parallel example you can find, holding onto a vehicle is a poor financial decision. And with the volume produced, the result will clearly be far lower than past vehicles. None of the above even took into account the cost of storing a vehicle, insuring it, etc.

To add to this, the value of collectible vehicles is softening due to the younger generation not being interested in collecting them as they have no emotional attachment to them. As the vehicles age, the desire to own them slowly ebbs away as the people who remember and desire them are leaving us.

Just watch the crowd at Barrett Jackson-you see very few people without grey hair attending. I watch a few other auctions on TV and very, very seldom are there any younger people in the crowd.

Who will have an emotional attachment to a 1999 Hayabusa 20 yrs from now I wonder? Very few younger people today are lusting after a Hayabusa or any other motorcycle generally...

Case in point, my neighbour has a beautiful '70 Chevelle SS and his son has zero interest in it...he says his Subaru WRX is twice the car....this generation is more about the tuner cars than the muscle cars...

Last edited:
Back