Ultraviolet = ultraletdown

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Saw Ultraviolet. I'm pretty accepting of great flicks all the way down to crappy B laughable flicks, but this one rides that fine line of being just inbetween enough to not exist in either of those spectrums. After it got started, I settled into thinking maybe it could be a good B flick and I could enjoy it that way, but it wasn't quite campy enough. I think it strived to be COOLER than that but had more style than substance, until I realized the style was pretty bleak also.

I admit, I have never seen the original Comic it came from, but the way it was filmed, framed, shot and Photoshopped smoothed, made it look very comic book like, and a little.. no a lot fake... which fit well for the comic book effect. So, I can't judge how well the story mimics the comic series... maybe that part is well done.... but this must be the reson I don't read comics - they generally seem lifeless and bore me - no characters to really get involved with other than flat, papery ones.

I give this movie a D+, and the plus is for the eye candy. The colors and rendering and artistic locations. Milla's midriff has a starring role and does the job wonderfully.

Oh yeah... the motorcycle. It's a typical shaft driven BMW, and the chase and crash scenes are decent [cough FAKE CGI] and somewhat watchable, but seemed pretty average too. And there's not enough of the cycle scenes.

It was a movie I would have rather caught on late night cable than paid $6 for. The theater was empty except for me and a couple down front. I see no need to even buy the dvd - and I'll buy ANYTHING... if I ever think I'd want to watch it again. Not this time.

hmmmmmm i thought it looked interesting but might have to wait to rent the DVD
rock.gif

Hmm... kids can save you money... see!! I have kids... little ones even ( as aposed to big ones) so i dont get to the movies anymore... i wait for retals... THANKS KIDS FOR SAVING ME $6
laugh.gif
cool.gif
wink.gif

I didn't think it was very good . If you want to see it wait for the dvd.

Yeah. Wait for the DVD to hit the $5.00 bin at Target.

As WWJD said, Milla was lookin' really good if only because she's put on a little weight and isn't the skinny anorexic-looking thing she was in Fifth Element.

--Wag--

Now to be fair, if it's a fan movie, it's prolly going to have a limited appeal style wise. If it's just a crappy little story then thats too bad though.

I enjoy a lot of the "Comic-Book" movies out there that other folks don't like.

For instance:
-Hellboy, loved it.
-Punisher (OK)
-Hell, DOOM was kinda fun.
-Same with Resident Evil I&II
-Spiderman
-SuperMan
-Batman
-X-Men
-Fantastic4

All cheesy comic or video games and all movies that while useless in terms of theatrical contentare still telling the story one would expect given the origin.

So I dunno, will I pay money now to see Milla's latest? No, not based on WWJDs review, but I'll be renting it and will prolly like it cause it's a cheesy comic movie...

I mean what are ya expecting? When she's ripping round on a motorcycle without a hair outta place?
laugh.gif

Now to be fair, if it's a fan movie, it's prolly going to have a limited appeal style wise. If it's just a crappy little story then thats too bad though.

For instance:
-Hellboy, loved it.
-Punisher (OK)
-Spiderman
-SuperMan
-Batman
-X-Men
-Fantastic4

All cheesy comic or video games and all movies that while useless in terms of theatrical contentare still telling the story one would expect given the origin.

So I dunno, will I pay money now to see Milla's latest? No, not based on WWJDs review, but I'll be renting it and will prolly like it cause it's a cheesy comic movie...

I mean what are ya expecting? When she's ripping round on a motorcycle without a hair outta place?
laugh.gif
I really wanted to see this movie, and it was hard for me to write a bad review... but you will see. It's an OKAY watch, but not bad enough to be GOOD-bad, and not good enough to be decent. I'd recommend any of those other comic movies before this.

Underworld evolution is good, great effects and good eye candy

For instance:
-Hellboy, loved it.
-Punisher (OK)
-Spiderman
-SuperMan
-Batman
-X-Men
-Fantastic4
Loved Hellboy too.

you forgot a few ..
The Hulk, I loved that movie.
Daredevil, another one of my favorites.

I bet I will enjoy Ultraviolet if everyone hates it.
smile.gif

I think Judge Dredd was a comic book too. And I love that movie. Good time all around, I thought.
What about:

Catwomen
Electra

Back