uh oh..monsterspeedfreak and thesnake...

willgetbusa

Registered
i thought it was cure but i guess it's too good to be true. now, i can hear the noise w/ the engine off. i pushed the bus around for a little bit and the noise sounds like something's catching or rubbing in the front tire area. it sounds like a stopper on a spin wheel when it's coming to a stop i.e., tap, tap, tap....since it's dark, i won't be able to really look at it until a later time. could it be the rotor? bearing? i will report back as soon as i find the culprit that's causing the tapping noise. of course any one w/ the simular experience or w/ inputs are always welcome. thanks for listening guys...

How old is the bike...how many miles??
How hard do ya ride....wheelies??

<!--EDIT|monsterspeedfreak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106197246 -->

You do know that the brake pads maintain ever so slight constant contact on the rotors and make a noise similar to what you've described here... right?
rock.gif
My busa done it... made sort of a clicking noise. The 10 does it... but sounds like a slight hiss with no clicks. Is that what you're hearing? Have you checked the brake pads? Maybe they're worn out...

I think there's a mod you can do where you remove some sort of clip that holds the pads to avoid them dragging on the rotors but I've never done it so I'm not sure how it's done, or if it even works on the busa. Don't have mine to look at anymore....

Hi guys,

i've been getting home late from work so i haven't had a chance to really check the bus yet. hopefully, i can do it this weekend with the bulldog. you guys w/ garages are pretty lucky because you can check/work on the bus anytime. now to the questions...

monster: "how old and how many miles?" 1999 silver/copper w/ 25k miles. "how hard do ya ride...wheelies? not really a hard rider. stunts? never, i just don't have the extra funds to replace parts or (god forbid) the bus.

bullet: yes, i'm familiar w/ the brake "constant contact" noise but i don't think that's it. "have you check the brake pads", yes, i replaced the pads a couple of thousand miles ago w/ ebc hh pads. "slight hiss sound", no. "click" sound, yes, approximately per revolution of the wheel.

ks: "warped rotor?" not sure but i hope not. "doing any stoppies lately?", no, same reason as the one replied to monster.

thanks for the inputs fellas! i will keep you updated w/ any developments.
smile.gif

If it's per revolution it wouldn't be what I was talkin' about. I'm with the guys on maybe a warped, or even cracked rotor. Could be wheel bearings too...

Put the front wheel on a stand and give her a spin.... won't take long to figure out if the rotors are warped or not.

One other possibility could you have over torqued the front axle? This could lead to the same problem....

<!--EDIT|ks-waterbug
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106315665 -->

I must have missed the earlier post.

You say it's a tapping noise approximately every revolution, right? If you have a way to raise the front end, then get the front tire off the ground. Now get a GOOD flash light and do an inspection of the tire's tread area. Look at the entire surface of the tire. You may have a small rock wedged in the tread, or a piece of metal in it. Look for a small shiny spot in case the metal has been worn down.

If you can't raise the front end up, then just mark your starting point with a piece of tape or a soap stone. Then just roll the bike in small steps and look at the exposed areas.

Good Luck!

One prob STK....you wouldn't hear a rock just pushin it around.

I'd start the process of elimination wgb

Start with the bearings, I have heard of bearings needing replacement that early....there was actually a guy (can't remember who) that posted pics of the completely dry front wheel bearings on his nearly new Busa about a year and a half back.

Check for cracks in yer rotors, and maybe even a possible problem with yer pads....perhaps a broken one getting snagged on yer rotor, ya just never know.

I guarantee you'll find it if you start eliminating things one by one!!

<!--EDIT|monsterspeedfreak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106376059 -->

Hi guys,
I'm having a similar problem on mine, '03 w/7000km (boosted).

When hitting bumpy roads it sounds almost exactly like front calipers, but I checked 'em twice now & everything there's fine .. HH pads for about 4000km now.

My discs are slightly warped as their contact sound varies through each wheel revolution, it's only very slight but audible.

She's landed some very heavy wheeiles, and hit some huge bumps too .. plus being such a monster of a bike & a lot of two-up touring, there's loads of stress on everything especially the front wheel / suspension.

So I'm thinking bearings since it's the only part I haven't checked yet. I'll pull the whole wheel apart & let you guys know what's the go ;)

check the rings that hold the rotor to the center disk. I have seen them pop out before.

Back