Center stand woes

Good to know.. I am getting two gaskets from my local dealer on my way home (they only have two) and I'll check tonight if I can salvage the other three and find the bad one(s) in the process. Thanks again and again. I'll post the findings tomorrow.

had the same ticking noise until i changed my gaskets. i wasnt sure which one needed changing they all looked the same so maybe changing them all at the same time would be a good idea. and i used a MILD grip of locktite for high heat(not sure of the color i think red). i hate taking off the fairings!

Thanks for the info HP... I am thinking more and more that must be the problem. I have to be lucky now, since there are only 2 gaskets within 100 miles of me. Wish me luck!

Once you put new gaskets on you should be okay and torque them to the proper torque with a wrench and evenly.

16.5 lb-ft from header bolts to head.

apply permatex 1372 gas sealer at the midpipe gaskets that bolt each mid pipe to header and torque those to 16.5 lb-ft.

Finally buy new gaskets for the cans if in bad shape and torque the nuts to 18lb-ft

umnik.gif
you should be okay after this.

Thanks Forest. I don't have a tool to let me know how tight I've torqued the bolts, so maybe I'll go out and get one. I dind't get to it last night, so hopefully tonight is the night.

Be careful with the locktight! Use the wrong color and it does not come back apart outside of a impact wrench or sledge hammer.

The bike is still making the valve-like ticking/tapping noise even after I installed the two only exhaust gaskets the local dealer had (inspecting the orginal gaskets revealed that they all looked "squished/compressed"). I have ordered another full set of four from Ron Ayers.com. I think I overtightened the header bolts and "squished" orginal four gaskets when I re-insalled the header to the cylinder head. I also ordered a new clamp that secures the exhaust to the back of the header (midpipe) since I broke that too trying to get a good, tight (aka air leak-free) seal. Once they come in, I'll more carefully install them all and try again. If that doesn't do it, I'll do what I should have done in the first place and bring the bike to the dealer and have them deal with it.
mad.gif

Easy with that wrench, big fella....If your breaking the flanges, you are waaaay to heavy on the torque....don't want to mung up a cylinder head!!

I hear 'ya Tbonebusa. I haven't broken one yet, but I didn't leave a fairly deep (1mm) pressure mark on all of them, where the header made a slight indentation on the gaskets. I think this is a job best suited for someone with more mechanical experience. Know anybody in Eugene, OR that does reliable work on bikes?

All righty, the problem has been resolved. Thanks to all that lent their knowledge and experience.

I removed the header bolts (8 of them) first, then removed the single bolt under the middle of the bike holding up the mid-section of the exhaust and them took off the two rear-most bolts holding the canisters on the back of the bike. When I did this, the headers fell to the floor, no longer being supported in any way, as gravity will do. Apparently when they did, a hose came off the bottom of one of the PAIR tubes.

I swear to <insert your deity here> that I checked every possible connection , but I missed that. What took 6 hours to do, re-do and re-do 4 more times was fixed in 45 seconds by a competent mechanic (with obviously better eyesight than I have).

Thanks again everyone!!

Back