monster, bt, ks, and all the rest...

willgetbusa

Registered
that tried to help me problem solve the 'click' noise in the front tire area.

i lifted the front wheel off the ground w/ the front stand and spin the wheel today. it actually has a double click sound like a torque wrench when it makes the sound. i still can't pin point the sound because sometimes it comes at 1 spin and other times, it comes at 5 or 10 spins. when it double clicked, i even rotated the wheel back to that spot of the wheel and re- spin or slowly spin to see if i can hear it again but nothing.

for those that suggested 'warped' rotor, the rotor looks fine but that doesn't mean it's not warped. and for those that suggested 'bearings', i haven't pulled it out to check it yet because i'm still not sure where the noise comes from.

i re-torque the front axle bolt and took the bus for a spin. the bike ran fine as usual and the click sound comes and go so i dunno at this point.

it could still be a warped rotor or wheel bearing but i can't really pin point it due to it's erratic occurance. therefore, i will problably have the wrench look at it down the road.

if it was a warped rotor or wheel bearing, would the double click noise be more consistant like occuring at each spin? and the torque wrench, double click noise, could that be bad bearings?

thanks again guy!!!

Well, I'd think the noise would be consistent if it was a bearing or rotor, but heck, I can't be 100% sure. I think I'd have it checked SOON, man. It ain't like a car where you have another front wheel to guide you to a safe stop if one goes...
rock.gif
We could be talkin' about your life here. Not worth the risk.

Oh, and one more idea. Conact johnnycheese by PM and see what he says. He's the longtime board wrench and knows his stuff on busas, and I'd imagine on any bike in general.
wink.gif

The only other thing I can think of is that there's something stuck in your tire that's hitting the fork or mudguard or something.

Is it a hard/metallic click? If so it may well be a wheel bearing problem. If there's broken pieces in there it may make the clicking vary as things shift around.

Either way, I wouldn't ride until you've isolated - and fixed - the problem.

Get it checked out and soon...I had the bearings go out and caught a bad wauble at a high rate of speed...

good advise fellas!!! safety first.

dab,

the sound is almost identicle to a torque wrench's double click when you torque a nut/bolt to the proper torque setting i.e, click, click. as far things rubbing/hitting the mud guard, i've even loosen the mudguard and push it up to see if the sound would stop while spinning the wheel. that's not it because the double click noise still comes and go when ever. plus, i would think the sound would be more consistant if that was the case. i think getting it 'isolated-and fixed-the problem' is a very good advise.

i'm no mechanic so i will keep all of you updated when i get it fix/check by a mechanic for future references.

thanks guys!

Take your wheel off so you can turn the bearings with your finger to feel for any rough spots. If it's not the bearings, pull the brakes calipers off, remove the pads and clean them thoroughly. If the pads are worn, replace them. I'll bet your clicking will disappear? How old is your bike and how many miles are on it?

Put your bike up on the stand, pull the calipers off and then spin the wheel. See if the sound stops. If it does, its either your rotors or your brake pads rattling. If it still makes the sound, its bearings or the spacer between the bearings in the front wheel rattling. Just be careful when you remove the calipers and have someone hold them away from the front rim when you spin it.....Keep us posted.

I agree with what clrwtrbusa said. I'm willing to bet it has something to do with the front braking system.

Put your bike up on the stand, pull the calipers off and then spin the wheel. See if the sound stops. If it does, its either your rotors or your brake pads rattling. If it still makes the sound, its bearings or the spacer between the bearings in the front wheel rattling. Just be careful when you remove the calipers and have someone hold them away from the front rim when you spin it.....Keep us posted.
While reading this I had a thought. It could still be the rotors, or more specifically the little round things that hold the actual rotor disc to the rotor hub. One of them could be loose and could be shifting and rattling intermittently. Try goin' around the rotor and trying to wiggle these one at a time. Since the busa doesn't have full floating rotors the little ring looking things should be snug/firm and not move/rattle. It's worth a check before you go removing the wheel, or paying someone to do it.
rock.gif

thanks for all the inputs guys, i will try what all of you have suggested i.e., removing the wheel, removing the brake calipers, etc. when i have a chance and see.

tufbusa: it's a 1999 silver/copper w/ 25k miles.

my hunch at this point is 'bearings'.

just a thought but, what about the brake line clip that goes through the fender. could be loose and touch the tire on occasion...?

If the front axle was ever accidently over torqued, the wheel bearings could be damaged. Plus the fact that the bike is almost six years old wouldn't surprise me in the least that they may be ready for replacement. I'm leaning toward this.....
Note: this maybe very difficult to narrow down in and of itself. What I'm saying is you may end up fixing somethings that don't need fixed in order to eliminate them as a possibility....

Put it u on a jack stand ad spin. You will know right away if it is a rotor...

Back