Tx. taking hands off bars is reckless driving

Not necessarily thrown out...some states require that you have the proof with you. It is a lesser fine than not having insurance though.

Not necessarily thrown out...some states require that you have the proof with you. It is a lesser fine than not having insurance though.

+1

When I got pulled over a couple of months ago I did not have my card either. He let me off (still got 17 over though) and said I could have got a ticket for not having it.

But I call bs on that....cause they can run your plates and tell if you have insurance...why do you need to carry the little piece of paper also? You know they run your plates when they pull you over any way.

I could have the paper and have cancelled the Ins. and would get off.???

today i got stopped and b4 i could get my lid off, he tells me i took my hands off the bars and that's reckless driving???
he notices my inspection is expired also (the garage punched the wrong year)
and i didn't have my ins. id, only a bill. in tx the cops can tell you're current on your ins on their computer. i guess he decided to waste a ticket anyway.
so he drops the wreckless driving and writes me for the inspection and ins.
which tells me the wreckless driving thing is bull****, and he knew it.
he woulda really tripped if he saw me do the no handed stop:laugh:

Reckless driving is a Class B misdemeanor, meaning he couldn't have written a ticket for it anyway. I'm not sure how it is in Galveston, but in Dallas County we have to be able to articulate 3 different reckless acts in order to file reckless driving.

Even though we have all done it at one point or another and it's only for a moment (when slowing up to an intersection for me) it is legally considered reckless riding, he just happen to see you, but he let you off. I believe in FL it's the law to have both hands on at all times when bike is in motion.

Inspection sticker showed expired, but how many stories does he hear about expired tags. He can only work with what's provided to him. Hate to say it, but it's your responsibility to make sure you have the correct info. on your tag.

AND you didn't have your Ins. Card. A bill doesn't mean sh*t other than you owe money for your future insurance coverage as they bill in advance. Show proof of ins. and this gets thrown out.

+1 :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

yep MD is like that. Fine is heavier for not having it on demand than it is for not having it at all...

makes sense right? :rofl:

PA, we have 48 hours.

They can fine you(stating you have no proof of insurance or tags or license), but we are not an on demand state and if presented within 48 hours the ticket must be void.

I never carry my stuff except in MD.

Last time I was stopped, I told the cop my DL# and he ran my license and tags. No clue how a cop could honestly run your insurance.....at best he could tell if you had it when you bought your tags. I doubt he has acces to your agent's computer.

for the houston folks - I got pulled over on the south belt saying he clocked me at 80 while he was on the side of the road writing a ticket for someone else pulled over. My speedo said ~72 as I passed him and I looked down while a car passed me, 2 miles down the beltway he is pulling me over. I didn't get mad, wife got off the back, I was calm and "yes sir". He ran my plates for insurance, I had my license and let me go with a warning. Not even a written warning.... :whistle: whatever...

I was in traffic...a crawl....30 in a 35...

I saw the cop approaching the road and on came the lights. My first feelings was bye bye...but I did nothing wrong and was feeling somewhat stuck anyway

So I stopped....

he approached on foot...

"license and registration."

"for what?"

"Oh I clocked your for 50 in a 35 but don't worry, I'm just gonna write a warning....let's check out your bike."

his is how my inspection fine/stop started...

No possible way he can see an inspection sticker 50-100 feet away since they are located at the top of your forks hidden by your plastics....

but a prime example of why you never believe what a cop claims to have seen or clocked you at.

Well here's my HPD story...I was riding at the posted speed and the cops were head in the opposite direction of a city street. They made a u-turn and caught up to me at a red light...the light turn green and the red & blues come on..."I stopped you cause we couldn't see your inspection sticker but we see it now. License & proof of ins." Had my license, didn't have my ins card but as stated early they can check with their computer. Next question, "Why is the back all black and the front blue & black? Looks like two differrent bikes"

Long story short...They impounded my bike and it took 4 days and like 6 different cops to figure out that my bike was, in fact, MY BIKE. Oh yeah, and I have to go to court to show my proof of ins!

I'm not sure if they're A$$holes or idiots because they were real nice about screwing me over.

Most states require that you carry "Proof" of insurance on you. It's an old Law that dates back to the Pre computer age. There is still some reasoning for having to carry proof with you. It's a simple law to obey really. I keep mine in my wallet and one in my car.

I'd be happy he let you off with a lesser infraction. Bring your card and some type statement/paperwork for the mishap on the inspection sticker down to where you go to pay the fines. Pay what you have to and call it done and over with.

Reckless driving is a Class B misdemeanor, meaning he couldn't have written a ticket for it anyway. I'm not sure how it is in Galveston, but in Dallas County we have to be able to articulate 3 different reckless acts in order to file reckless driving.

this was in houston.
i think this is the same cop that pulled up to me when i was in a parking lot, waiting for a friend.
he says "do you have a mc license?"
yes
"can i see it"
keep in mind this is a parking lot, private property.
he acts like he's pissed off. he acted pissed in the other incident too.
and they wonder why some of us hate em:moon:

Back