Need some advice

Cuffee

Donating Member
Registered
A few weeks ago, I got my first ticket on my bike. This is my first ticket in about 5 years. I was kinda bummed by it.

Basically, I got caught in a speed trap. I thought the speed limit was 45 mph when actually it was 30 mph. I was doing 51 mph. This was the first time that I have even been to this part of town in Vienna (on Chain Bridge Rd.). So I was unaware of the speed traps or even the drop in the speed limit.

I mentioned to the cop that I thought the speed limit was 45 mph. Also, I told him that I new to that area and again thought that the speed limit was 45 mph. He went on to tell me that I was doing 21 over and that was wreckless drving and that I could lose my license and go to jail. Then I mentioned well again I am new to the area and I honestly thought the speed limit was 45 mph. Also, it was about 6 AM so I was the only one on the street. He didn't give me a wreckless driving ticket because he said that I wasn't driving wrecklessly, just speeding. Then he went on to talk to me about motorcycles and current events.

I plan to go to court and plead not guilty! I'll take the 6 miles over, however, 21 is just ridiculous! Whatelse do you think I should do?

If you think the ticket will jump your insurance or cost a lot anyways... get a traffic lawyer & give 'em hell!
mad.gif

Telling the judge you thought the speed limit was xxxxxx will get you convicted in 0.5 milliseconds. Is traffic school an option for you?

I would fight the ticket. How did he tag you? Radar, Visual, did he tail you for over a mile to conclude that you were speeding?

+1 on the Traffic Lawyer. 21mph over the limit is high, and you may get charged more, but definitely go the lawyer route because it will be cheaper than a hike in the insurance premiums!

Tickets suck!

Yep ... hire a decent lawyer, and ask about challenging the ticket. You may also want to take some pics of the road (and where the signs are located), if they help.

my advice-talk to all your friends and see if anyone knows a lawyer-may hook you up on the price. You definitely want to fight that ticket, and NEVER ADMIT YOU WERE SPEEDING! EVER!!!!!!!! If cop says you were, just say "im sorry didnt know how fast I was going, just driving...blah blah, blah." And in court, DO NOT SAY "I thought " they dont care what you think- they just want your $$$ so they can buy the fat cops more donuts so they can all get fatter.
tounge.gif

if the county you got nailed in is not your own, try to get a hold of the county clerk of courts, and see if you can put in a Not Guilty plea by mail-could save you a trip or two back out there.
And next time-watch out fo da po-po!!
wow.gif

Who stopped you? Was it Fairfax County Police or the Vienna police. Either way, get a lawyer before stepping foot in the Fairfax County Court House. I use to live in Vienna and have be stopped a couple times by Fairfax county police. They are very, very "interesting". There is nothing you can tell the judge. Get the lawyer to talk for ya....

Traffic attorney for sure. Short term expense but will save insurance $$ in the long run.

I own 25% of VA (all speeding tickets in the cage), my father owns another 25%.  Get a lawyer.  You'll come out better in the long run.  You'll probably end up w/ PBJ (probation before judgement) and have a little community service to do (purple heart, amvet, local fire dept. cleanup, etc.) but no points, no insurance increase, and no stress.

I was stopped on Chain Bridge Rd in Vienna by Vienna police. You know what's weird about this whole thing...I saw the cop and looked at him. I didn't slow up because I thought I was riding within the speed limit or a little bit over. The cop pulled out a few moments later. He was behind me for about a half of mile. Then I got into the left turn lane. He did the same. When I went to make the left turn, he did the same. Then he turned on his lights.

Our brief conversation:
Cop - Where are you going?
Me - To work.
Cop - Where do you work.
Me - Down the street
Cop - Do you work for Navy Federal?
Me - No.

Then he went back to his car and wrote the ticket, etc..... Maybe he thought I was on my way into the community to rob it or something.

I work for Fairfax County Schools and have been to court for speeding ticket. Get a lawyer. I'll ask some of my co-workers if they know any good traffic lawyers.

Back