Speeding ticket

I went to court on tues and they gave me the points and a fine. $105 and 2 points. I had a clean license for 11 years and none of that was taken into account at any step of the process. I was not speeding on purpose and told the judge this. I was unfamiliar with the area and thought the speed limit was 55. I asked the judge if I was getting points and he said it was a two point offense. I told him that it was my first offence and I was going less than 20 over so points were not required. The ticket was also writen for absolute speed also which does not require points. He said they were not a big deal anyway because I was allowed 12 points before i lose my licence. I continued to argue my case and he said your getting two points. So I figured I should shut up before I made it worse. I should have just paid it in the mail it would have cost me less in the long run because I lost more taking off work to go to court. I guess I will have to take the car when going to the youngstown, girard area of Ohio. I heard they hate sport bikes there and I guess it is true. My buddy got picked up on 11 in his truck and was going 22 over the limit and they let him off with a warning. He was in spitting distance of where I got my ticket. Maybe I am just living wrong.  
firedevil.gif

I always wonder what it would be for 150 in a 45 zone.I do it every sunday for the most part so im assuming its only a matter of time before im busted

(blue83camaro @ Aug. 30 2007,18:24) I went to court on tues and they gave me the points and a fine. $105 and 2 points. I had a clean license for 11 years and none of that was taken into account at any step of the process. I was not speeding on purpose and told the judge this. I was unfamiliar with the area and thought the speed limit was 55. I asked the judge if I was getting points and he said it was a two point offense. I told him that it was my first offence and I was going less than 20 over so points were not required. The ticket was also writen for absolute speed also which does not require points. He said they were not a big deal anyway because I was allowed 12 points before i lose my licence. I continued to argue my case and he said your getting two points. So I figured I should shut up before I made it worse. I should have just paid it in the mail it would have cost me less in the long run because I lost more taking off work to go to court. I guess I will have to take the car when going to the youngstown, girard area of Ohio. I heard they hate sport bikes there and I guess it is true. My buddy got picked up on 11 in his truck and was going 22 over the limit and they let him off with a warning. He was in spitting distance of where I got my ticket. Maybe I am just living wrong.
firedevil.gif
I feel for ya man I just got one yesterday! cruising along thinking I was doin the limit when Johnny law comes around the corner and throws on his lights. He then informed me it was a 35 zone and I was doin 52! First ticket in over three years. Perfect end to a shitty day!

Sorry to read of your misfortune.

This is the # 1 reason why I live where I do.

No cops and wide open roads.

wow over here in new mexico if ur caught going over 100 u go to jail no question no ifs ands or buts and ur bike gets towed
race.gif

(bigoltool @ Aug. 30 2007,20:30)
(blue83camaro @ Aug. 30 2007,18:24) I went to court on tues and they gave me the points and a fine. $105 and 2 points. I had a clean license for 11 years and none of that was taken into account at any step of the process. I was not speeding on purpose and told the judge this. I was unfamiliar with the area and thought the speed limit was 55. I asked the judge if I was getting points and he said it was a two point offense. I told him that it was my first offence and I was going less than 20 over so points were not required. The ticket was also writen for absolute speed also which does not require points. He said they were not a big deal anyway because I was allowed 12 points before i lose my licence. I continued to argue my case and he said your getting two points. So I figured I should shut up before I made it worse. I should have just paid it in the mail it would have cost me less in the long run because I lost more taking off work to go to court. I guess I will have to take the car when going to the youngstown, girard area of Ohio. I heard they hate sport bikes there and I guess it is true. My buddy got picked up on 11 in his truck and was going 22 over the limit and they let him off with a warning. He was in spitting distance of where I got my ticket. Maybe I am just living wrong.  
firedevil.gif
I feel for ya man I just got one yesterday! cruising along thinking I was doin the limit when Johnny law comes around the corner and throws on his lights. He then informed me it was a 35 zone and I was doin 52! First ticket in over three years. Perfect end to a shitty day!
I hope they are a little easier on you in your state. I would have been happy if he would not have given me the points. I was willing to pay the fine after all I was speeding. I just don't want to keep paying for the next three years when my insurance finds out.

(umairhashmi @ Aug. 30 2007,20:27) I always wonder what it would be for 150 in a 45 zone.I do it every sunday for the most part so im assuming its only a matter of time before im busted
If you are going that fast here you might as well keep going because you are going to jail with a minimum of 6 points on your license. If they are feeling real mean they could revoke it. 6 points for reckless op and prolly 6 more for the speed. After 75mph they can give you 1 point for ever 5 additional mph.

Just got a ticket last month. The cop was a complete A$$. I was riding behind my brother in-law when I saw a state trooper flip on his lights and do a U turn. I pulled over before he completed his u-turn. My brother in-law did not see him. He passed me to pull over my brother in-law about 1/4 mile down the road. I got back on my bike and pulled off with them. The cop then asked if we were together. I said "yes I am following him" he replied "then you are getting a ticket too". I have my defensive driving course this saturday.
If anyone was wondering I did try to hire a lawyer. I could not find any to represent me in the small town of Lampasa, TX

You got pulled over in my old stompin grounds. Even growing up ( A LONG time ago) I can remember Youngstown suburb police being a bit "overzealous."

I grew up in Austintown and worked on an ambulance in Warren, Youngstown and Ellsworth. Small world man, small world.

That sucks though, I can't believe they didn't cut you a break.

Hopefully they won't .

Plus a 2 point ticket shouldn't be enough to raise premiums.

The state doesn't inform insurance Co's of points against you

Your insurance Co must run your record to get that info.

So if you don't change your coverage or add a new vehicle you should be safe for a year at least.

(Spike @ Aug. 30 2007,20:48) You got pulled over in my old stompin grounds.  Even growing up ( A LONG time ago) I can remember Youngstown suburb police being a bit "overzealous."  

I grew up in Austintown and worked on an ambulance in Warren, Youngstown and Ellsworth.  Small world man, small world.

That sucks though, I can't believe they didn't cut you a break.
then you know all about girard. I try to avoid going there at all costs. It was unfortunate that they were the court I had to go to for my ticket. They had a speed camera for a while but the company is bogged down in court right now. Warren was looking at one but was nixed after all of the trouble girard had. All of the small towns are strapped for cash around here and looking for ways to get money.

YES I do. I stayed WELL clear of Girard. I still have family back there and I hear the situation is just getting worse every year with the "municipal dollars."

I keep trying to convince people to move out here.

Sorry to hear man.

Well no wonder the squids just run! They are makin them do it! How many Busa riders can say with a straight face? and that means you lurkin Leo's too! that you haven't seen the speedo well in the triple digits! within the last month
rock.gif
I keep it under 150 in spurts now my tires are getting a bit smooth
rock.gif
Oh but only on a closed track
bowdown.gif
Like daytona speedway I95..

rock.gif

(TIMMYDUCK @ Aug. 30 2007,20:49) Hopefully they won't .

Plus a 2 point ticket shouldn't be enough to raise premiums.

The state doesn't inform insurance Co's of points against you

Your insurance Co must run your record to get that info.

So if you don't change your coverage or add a new vehicle you should be safe for a year at least.
Ya if they do raise it I will ride it out for a couple of years then change ins when my licence is clean. It is a crap shoot whether they will find out or not. Years ago I had 6 points and they never found out just depends on the insurance company. I am told that progessive checks every year. Glad I don't have them, they wanted $1800 a year with a clean record. I told them they could get bent.

(8Daytona8 @ Aug. 30 2007,20:58) Well no wonder the squids just run! They are makin them do it! How many Busa riders can say with a straight face? and that means you lurkin Leo's too! that you haven't seen the speedo well in the triple digits! within the last month
rock.gif
I keep it under 150 in spurts now my tires are getting a bit smooth
rock.gif
Oh but only on a closed track  
bowdown.gif
Like daytona speedway I95..
I tell ya getting done this way makes it real tempting to run. If I was riding solo The chances I could have gotten away were greater than getting caught. I had to stop and wait for him to catch me. I stopped right by the freeway entrance. The next road was three miles down with and exit to boonyville. Could have been there in a min. Course with my luck there would have been a cop waiting for me or worse...

rock.gif

Commit a felony for a 17 mph over ticket ?

Get real.

Maybe if you where in triple digits already and just never saw the man ( wink wink ) different story.

There is something to be said about running. Personally, I am not going to do it, but there is one strech of I-35 headed from Dallas towards Austin, where it always opens up and is the one place where I always will take it for a top speed run. A solid 5 miles of flat ground.

If a cop ever tried there... I would run, but then again, I would probably be doing 160 there, so it's not like he could catch me if he wanted to, and it's not like I would have any motivation to stop except to go to jail anyway.

Now then, what I am curious about is ... can't you appeal a traffic ticket?

(TIMMYDUCK @ Aug. 31 2007,02:05) Commit a felony for a 17 mph over ticket ?

Get real.

Maybe if you where in triple digits already and just never saw the man ( wink wink ) different story.
Here in upstate NY there was a guy that was doing 125mph in a 55. He just kept going... The cop in his blazer or whatever SUV pulled a U-turn, started to chase him and lost it on a curve, hit a tree, and died. They caught up with the biker a week or so later and convicted him of manslaughter.

Now that's bullshit. The cop entered a chase he shouldn't have attempted, couldn't control his vehicle, and the biker goes to jail for manslaughter.

My insurance company checks every year, and won't cover you if you have any that are over 7 mph over the speed limit, and will drop you if you get more than 5 traffic offenses on your license. Ain't that some s#@t ?

Ive gotten two tickets in the past 12 years & both tickets were handed out by the same Motorcycle cop. I think he doesnt like sport bikes..Although, I was in the wrong both times, so I can't blame the guy. Doesn't mean I have to like it either though
tounge.gif

Back