Trying to decide...

Well...it sounds like your decision has pretty much been made, Red.

Important thing is to have fun...no matter which way you go.
wink.gif

On twisties you can lean the Busa into the turn until the sparks start flyin', just like the R1 (the R1 is a bit skinnier in the body and pipes). With a great set of tires their both great bikes. If you like doing burn-outs, the Busa tires might add up a bit quicker.
wink.gif

Relax and have fun. That's the whole point of this...isn't it?
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the board Red05! Like everyone on here has said already at some point....the Busa and the R1 are two totally different bikes designed for two totally different styles of riding. If you like speed and flicking tight left and right twisties all day long the R1 is your baby. But, if you are into ultimate speed and sweepers and occasional twisties, the Busa is your baby....remember the engine on the Busa can be upgraded a heck of alot more than the R1 so plenty of room left for more power if you need it...the Busa is also fun as heck in the twisties once you get the feel for compensating braking on the heavier bike.

Either way you go I wish you luck and nice to meet you!

Oh yeah....If you choose an R1 that's cool(BUSA,BUSA,BUSA), you can still stick around on the board

Thanks, UR IT!. Regardless of what I buy, I'll continue to read and post here; this is a great forum. Good point about the upgradability (is that a word?) of the Busa motor vs the Yamaha. I hadn't considered that. Pacific, you're right, I'm leaning hard towards the Busa, almost dragging the peg  
tounge.gif
. TruWrecks, I couldn't agree more that relaxing and having fun is what this is all about. It not only makes a guy a smoother rider, it 's a lot more enjoyable. I hope to ride a friends' '04 R1 this weekend, despite mid 20's as a high  
wow.gif
. I know I should wait to ride it before I buy, but it would have to really impress me for it to change my mind. No matter how great a ride it is, I will remember that I haven't had the pleasure of a Busa experience yet. I'll post a ride report and pics of the new  baby if that happens. Take care, all.

Paul

Welcome to the board. I too was stuck between getting the R1 or th busa. I have been a Yamaha fan all my life. I owned an 02 FZ1 and was stuck deciding between the busa and the R1. I love the looks of both bikes but I finally got an 05 blue and silver busa, and I love it. This thing is so awesome to get on and ride. The power is unbelievable. I have friends that have R1's , honda liter bikes and everything else, some were trying to tell me the busa is a pig and was only good for straight lines, and others were telling how great they were. I went with what I thought was right for me and not by the popular opinion of my friends. But those same guys that were telling me how much of a so called pig this bike is now tell me how much they are impressed by the bike, and some that said they didn't like the looks of the bike before now tell me how this busa doesn't look as bad as others. I said all of this to say I love my busa , I still love Yamaha but I went with what I finally decided I wanted. Good luck with whichever you chose they are both great bikes.

<!--EDIT|GD4GVN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105717421 -->

Honestly if you're using the FJR for 2-up riding, bro I'd go with the R1. Something important to remember when determining comfort just going and sitting on bikes doesn't always yield the definite comfort report. To get a true measurement I need to actually ride the bike or sit on the bike upright so I can see how much reach I'm going to have to make & how much leg room I have. If you have shorter arms the R1 is probably going to be less of a reach to the handle bars, thus potentially more comfy.

I've found that the busa does a number on my knees on rides of >3 hours due to decreased leg room. It's not so significant that it could discourage me from riding long distances. I'm interested in trying some other styles myself so let us know what you decide.

Your best bet if possible is to find some friends who have each bike and take them for a test ride. That's the only true measurement of how the bike will suit your needs.

I've got to admit, BT has one advantage and that is he's ridden both machines. There isn't as much bias in that response. Happy hunting.

BD

Good point about the upgradability (is that a word?) of the Busa motor vs the Yamaha. I hadn't considered that.

Paul
Another way to look at that... I did want more power with the busa but feel no need for it with the litre. The busa's weight and smoothness fool you into thinkin' you *NEED* to add power, or it did me anyway. The power is applied so smoothly that once you're used to it it's quite tame and you lose a bit of the adrenaline rush you initially get.

The new litres (the 10 at least... only one I've actually rode) are so flippin' insane in the power to weight ratio that the only reason I could see to add power would be the coolness factor and the ability to post big dyno numbers. Well, if you're a racer and need the extra edge over the competition you might *NEED* more power. If you're just street riding and maybe doing some track days for the heck of it I can't imagine needin' more insanity than a stock modern litre bike. I'm within a few hundred miles in a few months on the 10 of what I put on the busa in a year and the edge is still not blunted. It's still just as insane today as it was on my first white knuckle ride. The only mods that interest me for the 10 are either cosmetic or comfort related. I was already wanting to either go big cc (1397 kit) or turbo on the busa...

So, yeah... the busa is infinitely more upgradeable. It probably wouldn't be a stretch to say that the Hayabusa aftermarket is probably the largest of any bike. The question is, do you want, or *NEED* it?
rock.gif

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to sell you on a litre, and not trying to keep you from buying a busa. I'm just providing some counterpoints from the viewpoint of a new litre owner here. The busa is an awesome bike. The fact that it delivers it's power so smoothly could even be considered a selling point. I'll be the first to tell you that the busa is smoother and a LOT more forgiving of improper or unintentional rider input. Whether that's a plus or minus depends on the rider.

Personally, I like the razor's edge personality of the 10 more. As I said above, it just keeps on giving me the adrenaline I so much love to get from my rides. The drawback to that razor's edge though is that the 10 would be quicker to spit you off onto your head and say, "Hey a-hole... you did it wrong. Now get back on and try it again if you dare.", where the busa would just sort of tap you on the shoulder and say, "Hey dude, I *COULD HAVE* spit you off onto your head back there... but I didn't... so RESPECT ME in the future, would ya?". Sure, the busa can be crashed if you try hard enough (
wink.gif
) but I'm here to tell you, the 10 would be much easier to flub up on.

Anyway, don't take anything I write here as an effort to talk you out of a busa. Ok, excet for when I said, "By all means get the R1!"
laugh.gif
Seroiusly though, just take all points that are being made here and figure out which way you want to go. You're at a fork looking down to very, VERY different paths. The only thing truly similar is that you'll be on two wheels either way.
wink.gif
I hope you're getting input on the litres from other sources besides here. I'm not baggin' on this board because we all know it's an awesome group of people. I'm just sayin', if you go to a Ford site and ask opinions on whether to buy a Mustang or a Pontiac GTO, guess what the consensus is going to be.
wink.gif

Either way, you're going to end up with a great bike. It's hard to go wrong with any of the new bikes as long as they fit you. You're going to end up with too much bike power wise either way for street riding. That can get you into trouble very quickly but it can also be fun at times.
biggrin.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

Honestly if you're using the FJR for 2-up riding, bro I'd go with the R1. Something important to remember when determining comfort just going and sitting on bikes doesn't always yield the definite comfort report. To get a true measurement I need to actually ride the bike or sit on the bike upright so I can see how much reach I'm going to have to make & how much leg room I have. If you have shorter arms the R1 is probably going to be less of a reach to the handle bars, thus potentially more comfy.

I've found that the busa does a number on my knees on rides of >3 hours due to decreased leg room. It's not so significant that it could discourage me from riding long distances. I'm interested in trying some other styles myself so let us know what you decide.

Your best bet if possible is to find some friends who have each bike and take them for a test ride. That's the only true measurement of how the bike will suit your needs.

I've got to admit, BT has one advantage and that is he's ridden both machines. There isn't as much bias in that response. Happy hunting.

BD
Well said bro... It's amazing what just a tiny bit of footpeg movement can do for, or against comfort. The little bit of experimenting I've done with my new rearsets has shown me that. A fraction of an inch too high and it can kill your feet, calves, and knees. I never would have thought such a small move in the pegs could make soooooooo much difference.
eek2.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence in my advice here, too. I honestly love both bikes. It's hard to give my opinion here for fear of coming across like I'm slamming the busa, which is never my intention. You all know I'll end up with another one. I'm just giving my honest take on the subject from my point of view.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105721712 -->

heheh....first off, welcome aboard. Secondly, Good luck with your decision.

For myself? The Busa can be a very twistie-worthy bike. Most people don't give it the credit that it's due. In regards to how hard you should push it, I think that would depend on how bad you wanna get hurt. Just keep in mind that the bike is NOT a track bike, so it won't be able to slam over in those turns. Now it can do a very good job for a bike it's size, but with the litre bikes being the track weapins they are, of course they will have the edge. And in regards to speed? Yeah....the litres aren't far behind in that department either, but just remember: those bikes are designed with envelope-pushin performance in mind. These machines are very close to what they are capable of achieving performance wise.

The Busa? Well....let's just say that with some $$$ and riding skill, it would be almost unbeatable...IMHO. And it's also a lot more forgiving in terms of rider mistakes. Try makin some mistakes on those new litres. They're so damn cutting edge performance-wise that you'd be lucky to walk away. The one thing that the Busa has over these bikes is stability. It's very capable of handling what the rider can dish out...but it's also capable of bitin you in the a** when you disrepect her.

Just my HO, FWIW.
smile.gif
Well said, bro... We think alike yet again.
wink.gif

See, this is another classic example of why I like this board. The maturity level of the riders here is such that they don't just say "Busa Rules" and criticize/deny all the other bikes out there.

I hope you make the right decision for You, although I'd be interested to hear your opinion of the Yamaha if you go that direction. Either way, don't feel you have to leave the board because your bike's name isn't in the URL.

Just buy one of each....
smile.gif

GD4GVN, thank you for your post. Your situation leading up to the purchase is so similar to mine it's eerie. BigDawg, there's not much doubt that the R1 is a better stablemate to the FJR, but I'm not so sure that it's the better bike for me. "The plan" at this point is some lunch time rides, maybe some evening blasts, but most or all of the long rides are with my sweetie on the FJR. We all know how plans change, so who knows? All I've been able to do is sit on both, and the Busa is noticeably more comfortable to me. I understand that riding them is a different matter, but I don't know anyone with a Busa, and I certainly respect people not wanting to loan their bikes out. Either way, I think I'll be happy. DAB, you're so right about this board, and yes, one of each would be AWESOME!!!!

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: "saw DAB's post"|1105722237 -->

Well your planing on having two bikes right? The FJR is a great bike, but the Busa beats it in all catagories, power, handling, braking and has more equipment available than any bike ever made. So why not buy the Busa and trade in the FJR on the R1.  
tounge.gif
 I know that you would be very happy with a Busa. Ride the R1, Busa, 10R, Gixxer1K, CBR1000RR there all great. Good luck and keep us posted.    
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BA BUSA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105759878 -->

Red05, I,ve heard a few people compare the FJR ride to the Busa, and I can tell you from experiance, there is NO comparision ! If you are lookn to set the twisty,s on fire, I,d recomend a liter bike, but NOT the R1. I would go with the ZX10. If you are wanting the best of both world,s, get a Busa. I,ve riden bikes for 31 years, and the Busa is by far the best overall bike I have ever owned. It can ride 2 up comfortably, or run 185 solo at the drop of a hat. So it really depends on your rideing demands on which bike is best for you.
Welcome to the board, and good luck on your choice.
wink.gif

Well your planing on having two bikes right? The FJR is a great bike, but the Busa beats it in all catagories, power, handling, braking and has more equipment available than any bike ever made. So why not buy the Busa and trade in the FJR on the R1.
tounge.gif
I know that you would be very happy with a Busa. Ride the R1, Busa, 10R, Gixxer1K, CBR1000RR there all great. Good luck and keep us posted.
biggrin.gif
Now that's a good idea!
super.gif

The bike you choose will depend on your style of riding more than anything. I bought the busa because I'm a drag racer and I don't do much tight twisties but I love long sweepers, so the busa was the only real choice for me. I have ridden and owned several liter bikes (01 929, 02 gixxer 1000, 03 gixxer 1000) and they were great bikes and I liked them but they just didn't fit my style of riding. No matter which bike you choose you will end up with a great bike.

Personally I didnt like the styling of R1, features are too sharp. Go get a busa, it looks cooler than any other bike out there ...

smile.gif

man-o-man a new liter bike and a new Busa??? wow that would be the ultimate. Anyway,,,now go buy yourself a bike and post some pics. And yeah you are always welcome here even if you rebel and get a liter bike......
biggrin.gif

Hey Red, Welcome to the board !Here is the progression that led me to the busa, 1981 GS1000g suzuki, 1985 GS1150ES Suzuki, 1991 CBR1000f Honda, 2000 ZX11 kaw, 2004 limited edition Busa.. Note these were all purchased new and all served me well ! But then i road my friends Busa and new I had to have one. You wont regret it if you get one. I do not ride track and do not have any trouble with handling a heavy bike thru the twisties. 6'0, 220 #. My ZX11 felt slow compared to the Busa but it ran in the low 10s. I was able to spank some liter bikes with the 11 so imagine what the busa is like.. You cant go wrong..

Back