Trying to decide...

Trade the FJR for an R1 and buy the Busa........I read those words and felt like I'd been reborn
smile.gif
. My long term plan has changed-well, not so long term. Buy the Busa, let my wife Debbie fall in love with it............and then move in with the kill...... trade the Feejer for the R1 (or Gixxer, ZX10....you get the idea). You guys are awesome. Bullet Train, I take your words as those of a friend (although we only "met" hours ago) and I truly appreciate you putting so much thought into my predicament. I mean that sincerely. I've only posted on this site a few days and you guys have made me feel so welcome. Here I am posting at 3:48 AM as I can't sleep because of the possible trade today. I would have answered ealier but Deb and I did the dinner and a movie
lurk.gif
thing tonight. BTW- 'Spanglish" is a chick film but a pretty darn good one. I guess I'll take the cover off the FZ1 and say goodbye. Those are great bikes also, for those of you that haven't had the pleasure. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. This forum has blown my mind with all your kindness and thoughtful advice .
bowdown.gif

Paul

Red, another unbiased opinion here. I have a busa and a GSXR750, btw. I ride the GSXR on carving days, and break the Bus out in town and with the wifey on da back.
If you are into aggressive riding on the street, in sweepers or sharper twisties, the Busa WILL wear you out faster. The extra weight and less aggressive/more stable set up on the Busa works against you. You will have to push it around a lot more in the corners. However, the stability works for you in many ways with the top speed thing as well as being a lot more forgiving that the R1.

Also, while riding on the street through the twisties, you will notice that you have a lot more "reserve" left on a liter bike. What I mean by this is by not pushing the bike to its limit. The "fun" factor is a lot higher on a smaller, more flickable bike. Sure you are going faster on the Busa most of the time when compared to a smaller bike, but it "feels" slower;it is very deceptive with over 90 lbs of tq available throughout 75% of the powerband. Kind of like riding a V-Twin vs and I-4. I will say this for the BUSA, there is nothing like shifting into the next gear, and the power is just THERE. You think you are ringing it out, and you shift it into 4th, she just grins right back at you saying "Is that all you got?" Its really hard to explain bro, its Fun with a Capital F!

However, it feels like you are going faster when you throw in the instablility of a smaller, lighter, more aggressive bike like my gsxr750, or an R1. The busa redlines around 11k, the R1 is close to 14k if my memory serves me correctly. That extra 3k RPMs is pure fun to me. On my GSXR I just keep thinking, JEEZ! Am I ever gonna hit the limiter?!?!
Just from reading your posts, it sounds like the Busa will fit your riding style better. If you are a cruiser who don't care about canyon carving, then get the Busa. If you like spirited, comfortable riding, then get the Busa. If you are into track days, and want to hit the corners hard, get the R1. ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT GIVES YOU THAT SILLY GRIN DURING AND AFTER THE RIDE!
For me, its the twisties, for others its power on tap, for some its wringing a bike up to 168.7 MPH 6 times every hour.
I seriously suggest buying your wife a busa, and you riding the R1. Then you could swap sometime if you wanted and have the best of both worlds. If the Busa is a bit of a reach for her, then get a set of HeliBars or GenMar risers. Lower it a bit, or just crank down the pre load for her. After all, it IS the mose customizable sportbike on the planet at the moment In My Honest Opinion. If you needed any help, this is the best board to be a part of.

Sorry for the long post, hope this helps out,
-Bill

Sweet bro!
Can't say how happy I am for ya. Sounds like a rockin' plan to me!
wink.gif

Trade the FJR for an R1 and buy the Busa........I read those words and felt like I'd been reborn
smile.gif
. My long term plan has changed-well, not so long term. Buy the Busa, let my wife Debbie fall in love with it............and then move in with the kill...... trade the Feejer for the R1 (or Gixxer, ZX10....you get the idea). You guys are awesome. Bullet Train, I take your words as those of a friend (although we only "met" hours ago) and I truly appreciate you putting so much thought into my predicament. I mean that sincerely. I've only posted on this site a few days and you guys have made me feel so welcome. Here I am posting at 3:48 AM as I can't sleep because of the possible trade today. I would have answered ealier but Deb and I did the dinner and a movie
lurk.gif
thing tonight. BTW- 'Spanglish" is a chick film but a pretty darn good one. I guess I'll take the cover off the FZ1 and say goodbye. Those are great bikes also, for those of you that haven't had the pleasure. Thanks again to everyone for their thoughts. This forum has blown my mind with all your kindness and thoughtful advice .
bowdown.gif

Paul
Sounds like a plan, bro.
beerchug.gif
No problem on the input.
wink.gif

I finally hooked up with my R1 buddy. I'm supposed to take his for a spin tomorrow (Sunday). I'll post a ride report and my decision then.

I still say what other motorcycle can take to the track and run in the 9's then take the misses out on Sunday for a 5 hour mountain ride? Someone MAY run the 9's and I do mean may, but they won't be riding their ladies for 5 hours w/o some serious buttock sores
laugh.gif

BigDawg, I think the BIg Guy thinks as you do. I got up early in anticipation of a test ride on the R1..........looked out the window to snow falling
sad.gif
. I think maybe these voices in my head ("buy the Busa") are from a higher source than I originally thought.

<marquee>BUY THE BUSA...BUY THE BUSA</marquee>

tounge.gif

Well, the sun came out, and despite 20 degreees, I finally rode the R1. I have to say it handles incredibly. I took it fairly easy because of the cold temps, but that bike gives me a new meaning of flickability. Changing your line line in the middle of a turn seems to take no more than thinking about it The lightness of that machine is apparent in every phase of riding. Brakes are very good. Acceleration is awesome, although fairly soft in the low revs. On a bike that fast you don't want to be checking the tach, but I believe that right about 8K the thing really starts to pull. I tached it out in 1st, man, that's gotta be the tallest first gear ever. 1-2 shift lofted the front wheel about a foot. Added a little salt to my salt & pepper, I think. All around, very impressive. It basically made my decision more difficult. At least I know what the R1 is about. Now to figure out what it is I want.

BT, Jeff, all the litre fans,you're right, the fun factor is immeasurable

Thanks for all your input

Paul

I still say what other motorcycle can take to the track and run in the 9's then take the misses out on Sunday for a 5 hour mountain ride? Someone MAY run the 9's and I do mean may, but they won't be riding their ladies for 5 hours w/o some serious buttock sores
laugh.gif
You've got a point there...
wink.gif
And the chick ridin' on the litres and 6's will have to be a tiny little petite thing at that. Not that there's anything wrong with petite chicks!
devil.gif

Well, the sun came out, and despite 20 degreees, I finally rode the R1. I have to say it handles incredibly. I took it fairly easy because of the cold temps, but that bike gives me a new meaning of flickability. Changing your line line in the middle of a turn seems to take no more than thinking about it The lightness of that machine is apparent in every phase of riding. Brakes are very good. Acceleration is awesome, although fairly soft in the low revs. On a bike that fast you don't want to be checking the tach, but I believe that right about 8K the thing really starts to pull. I tached it out in 1st, man, that's gotta be the tallest first gear ever. 1-2 shift lofted the front wheel about a foot. Added a little salt to my salt & pepper, I think. All around, very impressive. It basically made my decision more difficult. At least I know what the R1 is about. Now to figure out what it is I want.

BT, Jeff, all the litre fans,you're right, the fun factor is immeasurable

Thanks for all your input

Paul
Yep, now you know more about what I was talkin' about. Your comment on how changing directions only requires thinkin' about it shows that you got a taste of what folks mean when they say the litres are less forgiving. The ability to seemingly think your way through turns is awesome indeed but if you "think" wrong, or at the wrong time you could easily end up on your head in the ditch.
wink.gif

To fix the low end blah's all you have to do is switch to a -1 tooth front sprocket (16 tooth in the case of the 10). That really helps bolster the low end oooomph and it also takes a bit of length out of it's legs in first gear. Before I swapped sprockets on the 10 I found myself shifting fairly often between 2nd and third on my favorite twisty roads to keep the RPM's where I wanted them without carrying too much corner entry speed. Now I can pretty much put it in third, get up on the pegs with the balls of my feet and forget the shift pedal until I have to stop for something or hit a long straight. The sporcket change placed the power band perfectly into third gear for my style of riding. I'd imagine it would do pretty much the same on the R1.

Here's another thing you didn't mention but I'd assume the R1 is this way as well compared to the busa/FJ... How about the close ratios of the transmission? The 10's gearbox is quick and super smooth shifting compared to the busa. You can choose where you want to be in the powerband and shift through the gears super quickly without droppin' down in the power band.

On the powerband note... That term is lost on folks who have never rode anything but a busa. Basically, with the busa's torque the entire RPM range is the powerband. It's virtually "in the band" as soon as it's rolling good. On a litre, as you saw, the low end isn't as peppy. When you're on the throttle and hit the power band though, you FEEL it without a doubt. The 10 pulls like I've fired a booster rocket when the needle gets up around 8k with the throttle anywhere near fully open. I can be in fourth gear and roll it fully open and as the needle slimbs past 8k rpm I have to be ready for a power wheelie. Scared the crap out of me the first time that happened! The busa pulled from the beginning like it was boosted. Riding a 600 is even more eye opening as far as powerband is concerned.
wink.gif

Good luck on deciding which way to go, man. It's gonna be tough. Truth is though, unless one ends up being uncomfortable for you, you can't lose either way. Keep us posted on your decision process and post up pics as soon as you get your new ride home!
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

I have a 03'Busa and a 96 Ducati 900SP and I love the contrast. The Ducati is small and light like a 600 and the twin has great torgue out of the corners. The 'busa is fast, handles good and is great for open road riding.

If I had an FJR1300 - (which I plan to buy for 2 up riding - My wife does not like riding on the 'Busa) then my advice to you would be to buy a liter bike as a second bike. I think that the R1 is outragous BUT I would not buy a bike with an underseat exhaust - cook your ass off in the summer. I would buy a GSXR1000 or the new Kawi KX10R. It's too hot riding in the summer to have an underseat exhaust system frying your ass - just my opinion.

Kent

Red, have you ridden a Busa?

I feel for you bro, I have the best of both worlds, and would have trouble deciding between the two.

Red, have you ridden a Busa?  

I feel for you bro, I have the best of both worlds, and would have trouble deciding between the two.
No, a test ride on one would be wonderful, but I don't expect anybody to offer, and I don't blame them. As much as the R1 impressed me, I felt on the verge of awkward on it. I'm just over 6 feet and 225 lbs, and felt even bigger while riding the Yami. The handling was so good that I can't rule it out, though. I NEED TO DECIDE!!!! Early rumors of a possible updated Busa in the next model year have thrown more confusion into this. Heart vs head.....my heart wants the Busa and my head says R1.

YOU ARE NOT PAYING ATTANTION

HE HAS A FJR FOR 2 UP RIDING.

HE PROBABLE DOESN'T CARE IF IS SECOND BIKE IS GOOD AT 2 UP RIDING

HE IS LOOKING FOR A TOY.

I PREFER THE BUSA, BUT SINCE YOU HAVE A FJR, GET A LITER BIKE, IMHO
biggrin.gif
i am in the same position .. i want to get a second bike. i love my busa and will never get rid of it does it all well. twisties, two up, etc. For a toy i would go for one of the new liter bikes. Me personally i like the new zook 1000.
good luck with your decision.
zay

BLU, I've read more than once here that the Busa a good 2 up machine. I wish I had bought one instead of the FJR, as my wonderful wife fell in love with the passenger accomodations of the Feejer and now she won't consider switching to a Busa. This foiled my evil plan of going with the Busa and the R1. Don't get me wrong, the FJR is a wonderful bike, but it's not a Busa. Typing "it's not a Busa" makes me say it in a Schwarzenegger accent like "it's not a tumor" from Kindergarden Cop. Don't mind me, this bike decision thing has me a little wacko
war.gif

Ok Red lets try this one more time. Buy the BUSA. It is every bit as smooth and comfortable as the FJR, but when you want to get up and go it will make the FJR look like it is standing still. After the wife takes a ride on the BUSA she won't want to ride anything else. And after you spend some time riding the BUSA you might not want to ever ride anything else. If you buy the BUSA and then still want a litre bike then trade the FJR in on a R1,Gixxer1k,10R or the 1000RR. I personally am riding a 03 BUSA and a 04 1000RR. Both were purchased new and both have been to the track (road course) plus some serious twisties all over No. CA and NV. Good luck and enjoy.  
cool.gif

Any Busa owners in the Springfield area that can hook up Red05 with a test ride?
rock.gif

Red05 when i was looking for a new bike i looked at two bikes, one i could make long trips  and not kill my arms,back and hands...That at the time ruled out the busa or any other sports type bike ..So i got a 2005 kaw ZRX1200R >>Man i love that bike, it has a ton balls and  low low end torq..It handles Great in the twistys and the ride is so sweet..60 days later i felt i was lacking something...I came to this board and a few others and just looked around and what i found was the Big Bad BUSA was what i was looking for ...Now my Busa is not as smooth to ride as the zrx and my hands and back are killing me .. BUT! when i hit 70+ mph on the busa I forget about my back,hands and everything else in the world...A smile grows on my face so wide i start looking like a clown.. I said to my self " Who was the guy that had the balls to build this motorcycle and sell it to morons like me" ....Red05 i have had many bikes  and many fast cars ..I'm talking 9 sec cars and bikes .. And i have to say this Hayabusa is the baddest thing i ever put my leg over..I told my wife after my first ride that it was the closest thing to sex i ever felt.. Red05 add whatever bike you want to your collection but don't forget to make one of the a BUSA!!! Trust me you will never be sorry..Lee..

<!--EDIT|1300hemibusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1106024373 -->

Back