Trying to decide...

Red05

Donating Member
Registered
Help, guys. First, a little introduction. I'm 47, I've been riding about 30 years on a wide variety of bikes. Two years ago I bought an '02 Yamaha FZ1, and love it. The problem that came up was my wife, who is 5"8", wasn't very comfortable on the FZ, so we bought an '03 Yamaha FJR, which we use for our rides together, and we both love. Since that, I've considered trading the FZ1 for something a little sportier, for my more spirited  
smile.gif
solo rides. I've narrowed my choices to an '04 R1 and an '05 red Busa. I know the bikes are vastly different, in both engine and handling characteristics. I enjoy tight twisties, but probably not as much as sweepers, advantage Busa. Torque, no contest. Looks, I have to give to the R1, but that's not so important, since you don't see the whole bike while you're riding anyway. The fact that the R1 employs so much new technology as opposed to the (and please correct me if I'm wrong) vastly unchanged over the last few years Busa makes me wonder just how well these bikes handle in medium/hard twisties. I've lurked this site for awhile and have a feeling this one might be a little more mature (and I mean that as a good thing
smile.gif
) and can give me some insight. For what it's worth, I want to go to my local Suzuki shop and get the Busa, but most of my motorcycling buddies are trying to steer me to the R1, with a worthwhile argument that the FJR and Busa are fairly comparable, while the R1 offers quite a contrast. Thanks in advance.

Paul

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105552638 -->

smile.gif

The R1 is a street-legal "Track" bike, period. The Hayabusa will more than satisfy the need for twisties, and is a more comfortable ride (position and seating).

I went with the Busa for everyday riding. I may get an '05 R6 for "Track Only" riding, but I'll never give up my Busa for everyday riding (even in the twisties)!

As far as the Tech end of it. The Busa was ahead of the pack when it was first released. The haven't changed the technology, but they have improved parts that needed it mechanically.

beerchug.gif

<!--EDIT|TruWrecks
Reason for Edit: "Fat Finger Syndrome"|1105554883 -->

Sorry...welcome aboard! I can drag knees on the Busa along with everything else so the bike is certainly capable of all if my meager skills can accomplish it. R1 better for twisties but overall just not even on the same page for total pkg.
smile.gif

Thanks for the welcomes and comments, guys. As I mentioned, I'm leaning towards the Zook, and I do have the final word.....
biggrin.gif
. I look forward to being a part of this board.

Paul

If you plan to ride 2-up, she will HATE the R1. Perched up there on a tiny seat, if you can call it that... not comfortable even for the twenty somethings let alone someone in their 40's. I ride with two R1's, both guys are big, over 6', they look like monkeys F***ing footballs to me. Now, I have been accused of busa bias, and I'll be the first to say I think the busa is the best bike built for comfort, and 2-up riding at insane speeds. The wife and I have been well over 150 many times together, try that on an R1! Not sure it would even be safe or do-able 2-up. On long rides the R1 boys need frequent stops and by the end of the day, they just plain hurt. Busa? shoot, let's do another 300....the only place the R1 will outshine the busa is in the real tight stuff if you are a real good rider. Little bit of straight road? please......all ya gonna to see is busa taillight, baby! Busa board, dude....the king rules!!

Tough choice for me to help with... I'm torn. Basically the only criteria that helps me give you a recommendation is the two up thing. I'd have to say that without a doubt a busa wold be a better bike for that.

As for the rest of it... Comfort may or may not be better on a busa than an R1. I know a LOT of folks always post up about the busa being like a big comfy couch while the litres and 600's are torture racks. I bought into all that before I bought the busa and when I had it because I'd never rode any other sport bike enough to know the difference. Now that I've got the 10 though I can say for certain that there's at least one bike out there that is more comfortable for me than a busa... even on longer rides.

Since I had bought the hype about the busa being the only comfortable sportbike I bought the 10 thinkin' it sat good but expecting to be in pain after much of a ride. I've found exactly the opposite to be true though. My neck/shoulders and lower back were always wore out and usually got sore the next day after a couple hundred miles on the busa. I have yet to experience anything more than leg fatigue from staying on the pegs for a few hours on the 10.

So, the 10R is more comfortable just sitting on it than the busa was and MUCH more comfortable during and after longer rides than the busa. As far as that goes, I haven't rode an R1 but it, too feels better to me just sittin' on it than the busa. I say all this to make one point. Don't just assume that because the busa is more comfortable for a lot of people, that it will be the most comfortable for you. It wasn't for me...

Still though, if two up riding is a major factor in which bike you choose I'd have to lean toward the busa. I've been two up on both and while it wasn't really a problem on the 10, it wasn't as enjoyable as it was on the busa... especially for the passenger. The pillion seats on the litres and 600's are jokes.
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105556937 -->

I like having all kinds of power at any rpm and at any speed. The power band on the busa is wider and wilder!
biggrin.gif

I like having all kinds of power at any rpm and at any speed. The power band on the busa is wider and wilder!
biggrin.gif
Wider? Yes. Wilder? Ummmm.... no.
wink.gif
The 10R is a far more insane ride regardless of whether or not it's faster/slower than the busa. Shoehorn a busa engine into a gixxer1k frame and then you'll have wild.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

vastly unchanged over the last few years
What?! you must not have noticed the clear signals on the 05s
Thanks, Him...that's why I hang around here; to learn from you guys. Moondog & Bullet, we won't be using the Busa for two up very often, as my wife loves the FJR's comfy confines. This would actually be a toy for me, which makes it kinda exciting  
cool.gif
. Bullet, I appreciate your insight on the Kawasaki concerning comfort. My initial judgement is that the Busa feels more comfortable than the R1, but just by a little as the Yami feels pretty good too. I was going to get a chance to ride an '04 R1 this weekend, but weather here in the Ozarks is going to put a damper on that. I guess my question is: can the Busa be pushed as hard (in the twisties) as I might push it? A back-up question should be: should I push that hard? I've always lived as if this is my only chance, and I've always wanted a Busa, so what the heck. Thank you guys, for your input.

It's a matter of personal preference. The Busa is begining to look a little dated compared to the competition, although I still love my baby's curves. The R1 is a sharp looking bike with performance to match.

As far a comfort goes, I'm not sure there is much difference (except for 2-up). I'm 5'-9" and my legs get a little cramped up on longer rides. Quite frankly, I don't know how any of you 6'+ dudes ride these things! It's got to be tight.

Anyway, go with your gut. That's what I did.

Dude, this is a poor site to be asking a question like that! Not to many unbiased opinions here?

I have a nice comfy 04 purple/black busa sitting in my garage and it's all dusty from sitting unused. I also have an 04 Black GSXR1000 and just put my 4th set of tires on it and it's not a year old until the 30th of this month. I love that liter bike. It is such a far cry from the busa as far as fun goes. Not to kick the busa, it's a great, fun ride. You can drag your knee on the corners, do wheelies and all the fun things you can do on a liter bike. However, there is nothing the busa can do better than a liter bike other than straight line performance? Even then, a good liter bike will be right on your ass when you cross the 1/4 mile finish line.

The busa is in the same family as your Yamaha and you won't see a lot of difference except in power. The busa is definately a horse. It will make your eyes blur with speed but then so will the top liter bikes. The ZX10 is a real animal with the R1 & Gixxer 1K in hot pursuit.

If you like to wheelie, the busa can do it but can't hold a candle to the liter bikes in this department. I don't know of anyone who can balance their busa for a five mile wheelie ride? I'm not saying it can't be done, I just personally don't know any. However, with a little practice, wheelies are a piece of cake with any of the liter bikes.

If you are only going to have one bike, the busa is probably the ticket. Does everything pretty well, killer torque, fun in the corners, rides two up quite well, best of all on long rides, makes a great bike. If you are adding a second bike to your Yamaha cruiser, without a doubt take a long look at the liter bikes. Any of the hot liter bikes will out perform the busa in corners, wheelies, stoppies, stunts, etc. but fall short on top end speed and comfort. I love my busa but I rather ride my gixxer on any afternoon ride. Check out Bullet's post as well. He is one of those who bought a busa, love the ride until he got his hands on a ZX10, now he is in LOVE
biggrin.gif

Just my Humble Opinion. I am well into my fifties and have been riding motorbikes since I was a kid and I do believe the gixxer 1K is now my favorite bike I have ever had the priviledge of riding! I can't wait to get my hands on the new 05 gixxer. With a 164 RWHP, it may give the busa a real test at accelleration? We'll see?

Wheelie_King.JPG

Hell, you already have the FJR, that bike is busa-like in many ways. Go with the R1 and truly have the best of both worlds.

Anyway, go with your gut.  That's what I did.
A'Busa'd, that's good advice, and pretty much what I'm doing. Tufbusa, I posted the same question on the R1 board, and got some pretty decent responses there as well. I appreciate your comments about the Gixxer, great bike, by the way. I obviously don't want to make a mistake, and take all your experienced comments to heart. The R1 tugs at my heart, and the Busa just plain tugs. Decisions, decisions!! I try to remember that I'm lucky to have this problem and a very understanding wife. You guys are great. From early indications, I have to say I seem to fit better on this board ,  
beerchug.gif
, but it's unwise to make a decision based on that. Maybe I can buy them both.....
idea.gif

EDIT: Busa Rider, that's what the R1 guys were saying, and I must admit it's a good arguement as well.

<!--EDIT|Red05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1105569533 -->

EDIT: Busa Rider, that's what the R1 guys were saying, and I must admit it's a good arguement as well.
It's not an arguement? It's simply the opinions of different guys on this site. You are the one who has to make the decision on what YOU want and act accordingly. Your FJR is a nice ride. If you buy a busa you'll probably sell your FJR? Any of the bikes you mentioned would be great fun!

Unless you plan on doing alot of track riding or real serious twisties get the Busa. I have a 03 Busa and a 04 1000RR. The RR beats the Busa on more technical tracks and tight twisties but the Busa wins everywhere else. Litre bikes are no fun riding two up

Back