tried to sync my throttle bodies..help!

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
Alright....I am so messed up now..I tried to sync my throttle bodies...used four vacuum gauges,etc.- sync'd #3 to #4 and then #1 to #2...then 1&2 to 3&4...the thing started running really rough as soon as I tried to adjust #3 & #4... It wouldn't even idle at 1150 rpm's when I started to adjust....so I tried to go ahead with 1&2---I adjusted the idle setting higher so that I could keep it running.....after I did the adjustments, I put the breather box back on and secured everything as it should be (i.e. the hoses, etc.) and It won't even run now....On top of that, now I'm getting a FI light on the instrument panel...PLEASE HELP ME...HOW CAN I FIX? or am I just going to have to take it to the stealership now...can I get it back to normal??? ORG family PLEASE HELP...

Check and make sure that you have hooked all the sensors up (especially the green one temp sensor on the left) just look under the airbox and make sure everything is hooked up... Should take care of the FI light...if nothing else let me know and we'll get on the phone....

(MC MUSTANG @ Oct. 21 2006,15:24) Check and make sure that you have hooked all the sensors up (especially the green one temp sensor on the left)  just look under the airbox and make sure everything is hooked up...  Should take care of the FI light...if nothing else let me know and we'll get on the phone....
+1

MC Mustang...I sent you two PM's....I still haven't resolved my mess up....Please help...or anyone who can- I really appreciate it...I don't know where to start now..I have no baseline to start from on the sync'ing..I can't get the bike to even idle and now it's showing a FI light on the instrument panel...what do I do now???

I hope you pulled the sensors out of the air box and had them connected while you were running the bike to sync the TB's. If you didnt then i bet you've adjusted them so far off that it wont run. If those sensors arent connected while your running the bike it will run like crap...

Yeah, I secured the airbox to the side of the bike so that I COULD hook the green temp sensor and the small hose under the center of the airbox up before I even started to initially do the adjustments...

I just went back out there and clamped off the right side hose on the #4 throttle body and did another adjustment on all four bodies. I did not see where the haynes manual said to block off that rt. side hose on the #4 throttle body, so I did not clamp it off when I did my initial adjustment and everything went sooooo wrong-

I went back AGAIN and looked at the Wag's throttle body sync thread (NOTHING AGAINST YOU WAG===I JUST AM TOO NEW TO THIS TO HAVE REALLY BEEN ATTEMPTING IT IT LOOKS LIKE)
As I said, I didn't see anything about clamping off that hose in the two pages that were excerpts from that haynes manual, but when I read on down through the other posts, I noticed where (I think it was actually wag doing his throttle sync) he had ALSO clamped off that rt. side hose on the #4 throttle body.

So I went back out and clamped off that hose this time and retried the adjustment again.

I adjusted all four bodies to about -4 inHg ( inches of mercury)
Now, the FI light has gone out, it WILL idle now...
It still is running really rough though- it will set there and idle rough at about 1150 rpm's, and it erratically is doing an rpm surge every so often. You can tell it is just running rough.
Also, when I rev the engine up with a quick throtlle roll and let off quickly, it doesn't come back down to idle quick enough.....it kinda lags slightly back to the idle rpm

anyone with ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

You must have the gold colored airbox sensor unscrewed from the airbox and reconnected prior to syncing the tbs. You can just leave it hanging somewhere/anywhere as long as it's connected.

If the bike won't start unscrew/loosen the sync screws all the way loose and try to sync again this time with the sensor connected.
Make sure you have given the plugs time to dry out just in case you have flooded them with gas trying to start the bike.

Once they're synced make sure you re-hook both sensors and all the vacuum lines back to each tb.

No offense taken. I don't have enough experience to troubleshoot the situation for you remotely. However, I DO know that if you don't have that green sensor connected WHILE you synch the TB's, you'll have problems during the synch.

Any other help you can give would be worth a mint. Pictures of the setup you used would be helpful, too.

--Wag--

Hey coop65sr!! The first thing YOU HAVE TO DO is chill out!! Jeez the biggest mistakes are made with an uncool head. All you are doing is adj the air in the the inlet of your eng. Look in the intakes and make sure they look all the same, and that you have all the little vacuume hoses plugged back in. Then with your snazy gages plug one at a time, in until you find the most out from the other all has to be tuned to the one with the throttle position sensor on it. Your tps needs to be adj after it all get put rite and the fault should go away! You did check to make sure the gages were close
rock.gif

(coop65sr @ Oct. 21 2006,19:32) Yeah, I secured the airbox to the side of the bike so that I COULD hook the green temp sensor and the small hose under the center of the airbox up before I even started to initially do the adjustments...

I just went back out there and clamped off the right side hose on the #4 throttle body and did another adjustment on all four bodies. I did not see where the haynes manual said to block off that rt. side hose on the #4 throttle body, so I did not clamp it off when I did my initial adjustment and everything went sooooo wrong-

I went back AGAIN and looked at the Wag's throttle body sync thread (NOTHING AGAINST YOU WAG===I JUST AM TOO NEW TO THIS TO HAVE REALLY BEEN ATTEMPTING IT IT LOOKS LIKE)
As I said, I didn't see anything about clamping off that hose in the two pages that were excerpts from that haynes manual, but when I read on down through the other posts, I noticed where (I think it was actually wag doing his throttle sync) he had ALSO clamped off that rt. side hose on the #4 throttle body.

So I went back out and clamped off that hose this time and retried the adjustment again.

I adjusted all four bodies to about -4 inHg ( inches of mercury)
Now, the FI light has gone out, it WILL idle now...
It still is running really rough though- it will set there and idle rough at about 1150 rpm's, and it erratically is doing an rpm surge every so often. You can tell it is just running rough.
Also, when I rev the engine up with a quick throtlle roll and let off quickly, it doesn't come back down to idle quick enough.....it kinda lags slightly back to the idle rpm

anyone with ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED
Still don't know how to get it to smooth on out after my last attempt...

I don't know if maybe the vacuum gauges and setup I have are just not quality ENOUGH or what...I just can't get it to run smooth at ALL.....Should I just take it to the dealer this way and let them go from there OR should I maybe take another stab at it with my setup?
rock.gif

I'm kinda afraid I may make it worse again...unless someone can give me some technical assistance here.....

IF YOU CAN HELP PLEASE DO......CHRIS

If you have to take it to the dealer, do it. With any luck, you can watch him do it and learn what to do.

Can you take pics of your setup and post 'em here? Maybe we can tell from a photo what's connected wrong or whatever.

--Wag--

WAG and everyone else,

I'm giving up for the night...I am gonna get back at it after church in the morning...so I will try and get some pics up and try again to see what I can do..anybody else please post up with those who already have (thanks to you all) and give me some helpl......

thanks, Chris

Jinkster did a good job on TB sync w/pics. have you checked that out. Just a thought, follow all prior post, esp. keep a cool head. good luck you'll get it & than next time it will be a snap.

(coop65sr @ Oct. 21 2006,18:44) WAG and everyone else,

I'm giving up for the night...I am gonna get back at it after church in the morning...so I will try and get some pics up and try again to see what I can do..anybody else please post up with those who already have (thanks to you all) and give me some helpl......

thanks, Chris
a little prayer will help..
wink.gif

If your FI light has gone out, and it will start you might check your plugs. You prolly fouled a couple.

This is the best write up I have seen yet. Plan on doing this next week with my new carb tune setup.

If time permits I'll post a walk through.

runeight...

Yep a good post there! One thing you don't want to do is move the adj much at all!! The slightest touch does sooo much. Are U sure you had this blocked off? Just hook your gages back up. note where they are and do some minor adj for smoothness...
SYNCH6.jpg

(8Daytona8 @ Oct. 21 2006,20:03) Yep a good post there! One thing you don't want to do is move the adj much at all!! The slightest touch does sooo much. Are U sure you had this blocked off? Just hook your gages back up. note where they are and do some minor adj for smoothness...
SYNCH6.jpg
my guess is the pair valve nipple was not blocked off.

runeight...

Hey that will make the diff! U don't need the nifty little cap plugy thingy! Just crimp and some tape around to hold and your good too go! If its even idling crappy and bucking a bit and the sync is the prob, just the weight when you go to turn the adj can be all it needs! So a turn that you can notice and your ALL IN and screwed !!!
all_coholic.gif
beerchug.gif

Back