tre on an 08 = junk

It isn't about switching it back and forth; I was just saying you could if you wanted to for experimentation's sake. You can switch it, and it will stay at that setting. You're pointing out the pitfalls of having it set to 4N44444, 5N55555, and 6N66666, when it can be changed to and kept at 1N23455, no different than what the GPS mod does. And you get to see 6th gear as an added bonus. I just don't see the disadvantage of using the tre over GPS mod.

I know you make the GPS mod, but I'm just not understanding how it would be better than the tre after being reprogrammed. This is a solution for the here and now, not in the future when we'll be able to do things we can't do now.

If I'm misguided, please tell me. I don't shy away from constructive debate. =)

Last edited:
Well, when I can get rid of the 6th gear restriction with a mouse click I will be all over it. I also want to be able to adjust other values that the PC and TRE can't.

Unless X-TRE has something new up their sleave, there ad says they "could" do something special like 1n23455. I was of the understanding this is not something you can purchase. Am I wrong? If so I do apologize. I have had more than 1 person ask me to make them a de-restrictor as they were told that the 1n23455 was not going to programmed into the module.

Oh, you're saying people have tried to get theirs reprogrammed like in the FAQ and Healtech refused to do it?

Well, I'll be trying to get one reprogrammed in the near future, so I guess the best proof one way or the other is first hand experience. I'll let everyone know if they do it or not.

Last edited:
Same here. I'm running -1,+2 so I don't have top end anyway.
Thats the same gearing I'm running Wiz....you still have a true 180mph at your true de-restricted redline in 6th :beerchug:
I've never really had the need to go much over a true 180 on the street anyways :laugh: Stock the first gen was geared for over 200 at the true redline.....I didn't mind giving up 20mph I couldn't use anyway, for the kind of acceleration that you almost need to be strapped in for :thumbsup:

Oh sorry, ya timing is the same. The only problem is things are still being tested based on the ECU changes when in 5th gear.

So hypothetically, any changes that the ECU is programmed for when in 5th gear, you might see with other gears. So if the ECU adds 3% at ___ RPM for ram air compensation or added timing, etc. (at higher speeds); it may also have the same affect in lower gears.

So if the ECU says to add a progressive change in the map say 1% at 9,000rpm and ending with 3% at 11,000rpm; this could have the same affect in lower gears. With the TRE it forces those values regardless. You might only need 1% max in 1st or 2nd gear coming out of a corner, but the TRE may be forcing the ECU to give + or - 3% (thinking the bike is in 5th) because the ECU says you are getting more air when you aren't.

Again, it's hypothetical values but trying to help people understand...
I put a tre on my first gen and thats exactly what I felt seat of the pants wise. It got jerkier and more abrupt from the extra timing....but it also ran richer in the lower gears and fuel mileage took a dive. I didn't notice much if any real power gains in the lower gears.....and it was actually loading up under certain conditions from overfueling. I took the tre off after a couple rides and its been in a box for the last 4 1/2 years :laugh: I now have Gregs switch mod just for overriding the rpm restriction in 6th :thumbsup:
Brock and other drag racers also found they ran slower at the track with a tre. I highly suspect from using one it was running to rich in the lower gears and hurting power. My busa felt crisper with its fueling overall without the tre. So in essence I suspect the timing diff in the first part of the throttle turn the tre gave in the first 3 gears, couldn't offset the out of wack fueling it caused.

Thats the same gearing I'm running Wiz....you still have a true 180mph at your true de-restricted redline in 6th :beerchug:
I've never really had the need to go much over a true 180 on the street anyways :laugh: Stock the first gen was geared for over 200 at the true redline.....I didn't mind giving up 20mph I couldn't use anyway, for the kind of acceleration that you almost need to be strapped in for :thumbsup:
True that, I like being quick. Like you said, where are you going to run 190+ at anyway? I bought Gregs switched derestrictor before I changed my gearing, his way is the best way to go if that's what you're trying to do.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
True that, I like being quick. Like you said, where are you going to run 190+ at anyway? I bought Gregs switched derestrictor before I changed my gearing, his way is the best way to go if that's what you're trying to do.:thumbsup:
Yep I'm running his switch as well...when you need to do 180 just flip the switch...redline here I come :thumbsup: Sweet :laugh:

Do you guys know how the TREs from those bad experiences were mapped? I'm new to the derestricting thing so I'm still trying to figure out the best thing for me.
Posted via Mobile Device

All good info, why I never used a TRE before (other than a gear indicator) and if I feel like it, I will use one again. :beerchug:

Well Healtech responded to my email, and it turns out that FAQ is inacurate. Only the ATRE can have custom mapping, not the XTRE. So it's possible with TREs, just not that one.

So, it looks like smithabusa's GPS mod is the best option right now if you want to unrestrict and maintain use of the dash gear indicator while still keeping the stock mapping for gears 1-4. Sorry for the confusion.
Posted via Mobile Device

did I not say it is worthless???
here is real proof

Well, many things have changed since gen1. First of all in gen2 the ignition maps are now grouped into three different groups. In old gen1 busa we used to have gear specific maps now only 3 different ignition maps. The most interesting thing with gen2 is that only the 6th gear ignition map is different to other gears. In practise this means that all other gears than gear6 are "restricted". The difference is something like 10-15 degrees at lower rpms and for throtte positions <15%. So anyone claiming that TRE in a gen2 engine gives more power because of ignition advance is remove this is bad news - its not just true anymore (based on what we know so far form hacking the gen2 ecu.) Luckily we know already how to remove the top speed.
nuf said

jc,where did you copy this info from?map gear select grouping=1st, gr1, 2nd gr1, 3rd gr1, 4th gr 1, 5th gr1, 6th gr3.thanks petrik.

group 3 still holds the speed limiter to10,323 on sl and 10,359 on sh,group 1 is sl 11,400,sh11,600 hl11,800,hh12,000 group 3 has more timing in the lower revs but still retains the speed limiter in 6th.

doing a group 1 speed mod,1-5 would be good but the factory ecu will still use group 3 map in 6th due to the way it is programmed into it,"map select"does the gps mod override that section of binary??

Last edited:
i have the switchable smart TRE and it reads 0,5,5,5,5,5,5 the only difference is the top speed,
GPS stock no TRE 294km
GPS stock with TRE 315km :whistle:

:tre: :laugh: .......Sorry I had too :whistle:
Great info Fellaz, one of the "better" posts i've read in awhile! :thumbsup:
PETRIK, Thank You for all the HARD work and then sharing it with us mere mortals, you are TRUELY a CLASS ACT Sir! :bowdown: I cannot wait for the day when we will be able to fully hack into the Gen2 ECU's and make changes like the Gen1's are capable of now. :cheerleader: None of this would be possible WITHOUT YOU, and "others" that have helped along the way......SO AGAIN THANK YOU, AND KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!!!!! :beerchug:

Ok, Let me ask a hypothetical question. Suppose one wasnt interested in eliminating the top speed limiter(I'm geared for 1320'), wouldn't it be better to lock the bike into 6th gear for more power? The way I understand now is that 12345 maps are the same as far as ign timing goes and 6th gear its different and as has more ign timing down low.....is this correct?
If all this is indeed true, has anyone figured out a way....COUGH.....PETRIK.....COUGH.....to trick the ECU into thinking its actually in 6th gear? Just a thought anywayz??

Back