Transmission Problem from Bash?

Mine started doing the same thing between 5th and 6th and now even 4th and 5th. I've checked everything stated here and I know I shifting positively. Happens more If I shift early or on a light throttle. I'm going with synthetic this weekend but doubt that will fix it. It is one of those things that will do it several times one day and then be fine for the next couple rides. The dealer won't be able to get it to do it and short of pulling it all apart and taking the tranny apart to try to find some mystery problem doesn't sound like a good idea. I think the aftermarket shift star may be the best option for me at this time. For now I have stopped using the clutch between 4-5-6 and this seems to have stopped the problem. Not ideal but all bikes I guess have their little idiosyncrasies and we need to learn our own bike and what they like and don't like??? I do want to let the dealer know though so they can at least document the problem if I have worse problems down the road.???

Did you measure the play at the tightest spot in the chain? You may have to rotate the wheel a few revolutions to find just the right spot. Ditch the tape measure, and use a vernier caliper, or a steel machinist's ruler. You can get a cheap steel ruler (Central Tool) at Sears, or any auto parts joint.

Lay one end against the swingarm, and you'll get a better idea of where you stand. Set the play to 20MM. You can use the same steel machinist's ruler to index the position of the axle adjuster blocks when you know that you are in alignment.

Your chain can make contact with the nylon chain stays on the swingarm when you apply force on the chain.

Mine used to do the same thing come to think of it. I think it stopped doing it around the same time changed to Synthetic Oil. And it could be that I learned to shift a little more firm for that 5 to 6 shift.

As far as the chain goes, it's not an exact science on measuring the tension. My chain is more on the lose side as a result from guy setting up my suspension at the track.

I do have to admit that's one clean looking chain you got there.

As far as the dealer, I wouldn't waste my time. Sure they will take it apart, but then will due more damage than good, and you will be still stuck with the same problem and little chance of finding the cause let alone a fix.

Keep us posted on what you find...

Did you measure the play at the tightest spot in the chain? You may have to rotate the wheel a few revolutions to find just the right spot. Ditch the tape measure, and use a vernier caliper, or a steel machinist's ruler. You can get a cheap steel ruler (Central Tool) at Sears, or any auto parts joint.

Lay one end against the swingarm, and you'll get a better idea of where you stand. Set the play to 20MM. You can use the same steel machinist's ruler to index the position of the axle adjuster blocks when you know that you are in alignment.

Your chain can make contact with the nylon chain stays on the swingarm when you apply force on the chain.

I measured the chain at the spot that the service manual says to measure at. Was hoping someone could just look at the pics and give me an idea of if they thought it looked real loose or not. There is a dealer about 10 minutes away I may just go over there and look at a new one (or they can probably tell me in about 10 seconds) to see if it appears loose or not. Will go synthetic next oil change and also see if that helps. Would like to stop the this in its tracks before I make it worse.

I've got over 12k on mine and the 4-5-6 happens when I am lazy in traffic and using the clutch. I find 90% of my shifts are without the clutch and never has it hung up. I have to admit when it happens you think wtf is going on. Use no clutch past 2nd and give her the beans works for me. :thumbsup:

I would assume not using the clutch would eventually create additional damage?

I measured the chain at the spot that the service manual says to measure at. Was hoping someone could just look at the pics and give me an idea of if they thought it looked real loose or not. There is a dealer about 10 minutes away I may just go over there and look at a new one (or they can probably tell me in about 10 seconds) to see if it appears loose or not. Will go synthetic next oil change and also see if that helps. Would like to stop the this in its tracks before I make it worse.

Sorry bud, can't tell from the pix. It does not look too sloppy, but that's just a visual. I would never give a thumbs-up to a chain adjustment that I could not verify in person. You need to test the tension midway between the sprockets, at the tightest point. Finding the tightest point is done by pushing up on the chain as various points on the chain. When you find it, you'll know it. If you adjust your chain at the loosest point, you will have some serous surging, and stress the chain and sprockets, and put unnecessary stress on the transmission shafts. I'm not trying to scare you, but I don't know your level of mechanical ability.

If you are unsure, then maybe run down to the stealership. Ask them to show you the right way. Once you have somebody actually show you, this will all make sense.

Remember that your problem may or may not be chain related. Changing the oil, if you have not done so already may be a great idea. I don't think it's clutch related, only because you are not having trouble shifting in the lower gears. Since you adjusted the shifter linkage, you may need to go back and have another look. Your throw may be fine for 1N234, but may be too long, or even too short for 4th up through 6th. Maybe take a quick measurement from a stock setup for a baseline.

I am sure it's something very simple, and you'll get it sorted out. Seriously, I am confident that it's a very minor detail.

Thanks, just want to deal with it now (right) than later. I had made all linkage adjustments a month prior to the bash and never had this problem, so SOMETHING has changed I just need to figure out what it is. I really don't like having to think "ok, now I'm going to 6th, and I've got to click up hard or it might stick"...

I would assume not using the clutch would eventually create additional damage?

Up-shifting when you are moving won't hurt the transmission. Down-shifting is another story.

Hanging on the clutch for a fraction of a second too long when shifting can cause sloppy shifts as well.

I personally am not a big fan of clutchless shifting. Always using the clutch to up-shift is cheap insurance.

I've owned 6 Busa's from 2000 through 2008 and they have all had that vagueness between 5th and 6th to some degree. I was hoping that the 2008 wouldn't have it but much to my dismay it's still there.
Some long term (high mileage) owners claim it goes away with time but I've never run up enough miles on one to see that happen. Its one of the original Busa problems that they never fixed.

I've owned 6 Busa's from 2000 through 2008 and they have all had that vagueness between 5th and 6th to some degree. I was hoping that the 2008 wouldn't have it but much to my dismay it's still there.
Some long term (high mileage) owners claim it goes away with time but I've never run up enough miles on one to see that happen. Its one of the original Busa problems that they never fixed.

"Vagueness" is definitely the appropriate term. Just wasn't there for the first 2000 miles, but now I may be stuck w/it.

Back