Transmission Problem from Bash?

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Ok, about halfway thru the Bash, I had a couple of interesting shifts where I went into a 'ghost neutral' between 5th and 6th (at speed). Since then, it's repeated itself 5-6 times. I'll shift up from 5th, and either it starts for 6th, and then drops back to 5th (very quickly), or even revs free for a few secs until I clutch back and shift up again. This bike is under 3000 miles, so if I have a tranny problem, I'd like to know now and get it serviced/fixed. On some of those turns it could have gotten bad if I lost gearing all of a sudden.

Up until now, it was a soft touch between 5th and 6th, now it seems I have to put a harder toe on it. What have I done? Anyone else have this happen?

Ideas/suggestions?

Long time problem that some folks experience. No real reason why it doesn't happen to everyone or all the time.

Is this a problem that I need to take to the Dealer while I'm under warranty? Thanks

Make sure that your oil level is up to the proper mark, also would be a good time to go to a full synthetic oil if you haven't already.

FULL synthetic...GOOD STUFF :thumbsup:

I have the Amsoil ready and waiting was just wanted to let rings fully seat. Am hoping that will improve the situation.

Make sure your controls are set correctly. If the shift lever is too high you will not be consistently getting it in the next gear. I had a few missed shifts like that until I adjusted mine. No problems with shifting anymore.

Check your shifting linkage, and possibly adjust the throw.

If your RPMs are too low, you won't get clean shifts from 4th through 6th.

It does not sound like a bent shifter fork, or damaged dogs. As suggested, maybe check your oil level, check the master cylinder for fluid level, and make sure your chain is adjusted properly. I find that if I'm around 25MM play (measured at tightest spot), my shifts are sloppy. The effects of chain surge can manifest themselves in some pretty interesting ways, including sloppy shifting.

Have a look at the bike itself, and evaluate your shifting habits. You have one of those annoying little problems that the dealers will claim that they "can't duplicate the problem", and shrug their shoulders. I suspect you'll solve it yourself.

1. Thanks Mr. Bogus for info on group buy; but there's no way I'd attempt that myself and not sure I'd find anyone in the area to do it (Middle TN)(know anybody?) - but looks like a great mod!
2. I did adjust the linkage when I put the Buell pegs on, but maybe not enough. Had felt fine with it before I rode the Bash with no instances of it happening.
3. The RPMs were Plenty high :laugh:
4. Oil level looks good; Master Cylinder fluid looks good, but I'll bet my chain needs adjusting and the surge may be the problem. This is a very new bike (under 3K miles) and I'm sure the chain got stretched some this weekend. I'm going to clean/adjust it and see if that helps.

Thank you all for the advice.

Check your shifting linkage, and possibly adjust the throw.

If your RPMs are too low, you won't get clean shifts from 4th through 6th.

It does not sound like a bent shifter fork, or damaged dogs. As suggested, maybe check your oil level, check the master cylinder for fluid level, and make sure your chain is adjusted properly. I find that if I'm around 25MM play (measured at tightest spot), my shifts are sloppy. The effects of chain surge can manifest themselves in some pretty interesting ways, including sloppy shifting.

Have a look at the bike itself, and evaluate your shifting habits. You have one of those annoying little problems that the dealers will claim that they "can't duplicate the problem", and shrug their shoulders. I suspect you'll solve it yourself.

P.S. What is the proper amount of chain play, and where is the correct spot to measure it at?

P.S. What is the proper amount of chain play, and where is the correct spot to measure it at?

.8-1.2 inches

I measure it at the bottom of the chain and in the center, also if you put the
bike in gear, you can put some tension on the top of the chain so all the slack
is at the bottom.

#### Engine OFF and on a rear stand works the best ####

Even after you adjust your shifter make sure you are shifting like you mean it. Good Clean firm shifts every time :beerchug::beerchug:

Ok, they say a pic is worth a thousand words, so here are a few (turn your head sideways for the last 2). After reading the chain cleaning post and cleaning my chain, i went and read the manual about tension and adjustment. According to the manual, the TOTAL amount of slack (pushing both ways and finding the true gap), is .8 to 1.2 inches or 20 - 30 mm (thanks Mr. Bogus/Biscuit for posting the manual!)

Below are a few pic I tried to take. Question: Is this within tolerance or does it need a little tightening? It seems looser (and suspect it would be after riding it the hardest I've ever ridden it) after the Bash. It might explain the difference in shifting.

P.S. I notice the chain is laying on the nylon or rubber chain guard on top of the Swingarm....would think that means too loose.

Thanks!

IMG_4171_Medium.jpg

IMG_4172_Medium.jpg

IMG_4173_Medium.jpg

IMG_4174_Medium.jpg

IMG_4175_Medium.jpg

IMG_4176_Medium.jpg

IMG_4177_Medium.jpg

IMG_4178_Medium.jpg

IMG_4179_Medium.jpg

Last edited:
Dngrumpy's bike is doing something similar, where going change the oil first. Your almost at the time for an oil change anyway! Thats a good place to start, my bike make's hard shifts when it's do for an oil change.
As far as the chain, adjust it properly, that will help with the jerkyness while riding!
Before getting into any thing else, start with the basics! If the problem is still there then bring it to the dealer!

I've probably got about 2000 miles on this oil change...it's the first one after the first service at 1K

I've probably got about 2000 miles on this oil change...it's the first one after the first service at 1K
If you where riding as hard as most of us where, i would still change the oil! I change mine every 3000 or less!

Ok, about halfway thru the Bash, I had a couple of interesting shifts where I went into a 'ghost neutral' between 5th and 6th (at speed). Since then, it's repeated itself 5-6 times. I'll shift up from 5th, and either it starts for 6th, and then drops back to 5th (very quickly), or even revs free for a few secs until I clutch back and shift up again. This bike is under 3000 miles, so if I have a tranny problem, I'd like to know now and get it serviced/fixed. On some of those turns it could have gotten bad if I lost gearing all of a sudden.

Up until now, it was a soft touch between 5th and 6th, now it seems I have to put a harder toe on it. What have I done? Anyone else have this happen?

Ideas/suggestions?

My does the same thing. I'm convinced it's me. The lift from 5th to 6th feels to be slightly higher than the others. I catch myself subconsciencously soft shifting sometimes. I think it's because I don't like forcing anything mechanical. It won't happen when I'm thinking about it because I hit it alittle more authority. I do the same thing sometimes going 1st to 2nd thru town in the 25 zone. Trying to ease it in and hit neutral. Bang it up and goes right in.

To get this back up in the new posts, looking at the chain pics, does mine look lose to you? Thanks!

Back