5th to 6th false neutral, very frustrating

hemi

Registered
any of u guys have a random false neutral shifting from 5th to 6th gear. My 08 busa with about 3400 miles has done this quite a few times now, this only started happening after i switched to amsoil at 2500 miles. Today i was out riding and after hard acceleration in 5th, i go to shift to 6th and it makes a very noticeable clunk in the tranny before it finally jumps into 6th gear. I'm just worried this is gonna hurt the transmission or something. Do i just need to ride more so the transmission/engine can get fully lubed with the new fully synthetic amsoil, or should i be concerned there might be something wrong?

U just have to push in the clutch all the way in and force it in, I used to tap it but that didnt work.

Over 6000 miles on my 08, but never experienced this problem. Good luck.

If you Search, you'll find plenty of threads on a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Mine does it too. Usually, an Amsoil change HELPS not hurts...

try adjusting the shift lever down father, that way you have to use more upward pressure to shift and thus making a more positive shift,

My 08 busa and my B_king both did this until I adjusted the shifters lower, both shift great now.

You can also switch to gp shifting then you will never have to woory about this problem unless you have a bad tranny

If you Search, you'll find plenty of threads on a false neutral between 5th and 6th. Mine does it too. Usually, an Amsoil change HELPS not hurts...

Switching to Amsoil is definitely a move in the right direction. I've used Mobil 1 Racing 4T at every change since the 600 mile service.

thanks for all the help. It did this a while ago, and i just started slamming the shifter up and pre-loading it before shifting and it hasn't done it since. Haven't ridden much lately, and when it did it today, had me a little frustrated. I would adjust my shifter down more, but i have the buell peg mod and if i move it down at all it hits the kickstand

Mine just did this yesterday on heavy acceleration, Been a long time since it has happened, Hoping it was just a fluke.

Cant blame it on the shifter...

===================================================================

MISTY ALL AROUND 032.jpg

As Mike 1180 & others replied... I too have installed the factory pro shift kit to my Gen II. It made a big difference. Shifts are now solid & I do not get any ghost ****ing in either 5th nor 6th like I used to. It's not healthy for the transmission to get ghosts shifting. Your dogs will not appreciate it.

Mine did it a few times if I did not shift hard enough. After my first oil change it is as smooth as a baby's butt, no more clunky changes down to 1st either.

Seriously, take a small sample of your oil and send it for a full viscosity analysis, all you have is what was printed on the bottle.

try adjusting the shift lever down father, that way you have to use more upward pressure to shift and thus making a more positive shift,

My 08 busa and my B_king both did this until I adjusted the shifters lower, both shift great

+ 1 on that

'08 3,000 + miles, amsoil changes since 1K, no shift problems. Hope you solve the issue. P/S If your using 10-40w ams. its gonna be 10-40 when tested.

Last edited:
never had the issue and i switched to amsoil right around 3500. i have 5k on her now and still running strong.

+1 on most of the things that everyone said but......Mine did it a few times and the only thing that has positively stopped it is shifting clutch less on the 5-6 shift. It sounds worse than it is but if you back off the throttle a little it clicks right in. No grinding, smooth as butta! Try it you won't be sorry. You'll never have a false neutral again. I haven't!!!:beerchug:

Back