5th to 6th false neutral, normal??

hemi

Registered
just changed to amsoil synthetic at about 2500 miles. Read a few times about the 5th to 6th gear false neutral. My bike never did it once, right after i changed to synthetic and took it out for about 30 minutes, got on it a little hard in 5th and when i went to shift to 6th and popped the clutch i got a little vibration/slight grinding and the gear indicator was blank. Pulled clutch back in and kicked hard into 6th and it engaged fine. It has done this about 4 or 5 more times now. Do i just need to quit bein a whimp and kick the shifter harder or is it something i should be concerned about. Kind of weird that it never did it once until i switched to synthetic

I think the word is "firm"....no need for overkill, just shift firm.
Mines done it a few times when I soft shift.

I don't think the oil is a factor except for smoother tranny and
engine action.

Last edited:
It is unlikely, but with the different oil possible that your clutch drags a little more. Keep pressure on the gear lever until the gear changes all the way, even as you release the clutch and you should be fine.

Shift it like you mean it brother. This typically happens when I'm getting it :laugh:

Why are you popping the clutch shifting from 5th to 6th (...or do you mean the linkage not the lever)... ???

not popping the clutch, just releasing it like normal when shifting, guess i worded it wrong. Tried pre-loading the shifter today when i was out and it didn't do it once, guess i'll just have to get used to doing this

not popping the clutch, just releasing it like normal when shifting, guess i worded it wrong. Tried pre-loading the shifter today when i was out and it didn't do it once, guess i'll just have to get used to doing this

Great! You'll find the bike shifts smoother all around if you continue this practice. It will become second nature. I learned this from a BMW I had with a notchy transmission.

Mine did it 4 or 5 times last yr but I stopped using the clutch on the 4-5 and the 5-6 shifts and it has NEVER happened since. Just back off the throttle a little and shift. It's not bad for the trany so try it and I promise you it will never happen again if you do this. Trust me. I switched to synthetic this spring and now on the rare occasion that I have used the clutch on the 4-5 and 5-6 shift there has not been any more false neutrals. I attribute this to the clutchless shifting though and not the synthetic oil.

Don't bother pre-loading the shifter. Adjust your shift lever a bit lower and that will take care of it. Move it down low enough that you have to move you toe down slightly to get under the lever. When resting the lever should be right beside your big toe. I adjusted mine on the first day, and readjusted when I did the Buell peg mod (thanks GSX1300RT), and I have not had a single false shift in any gear aside from my own sloppy foot work a few times. You can still use your clutch. It's mush more kind to the tranny when switching gears.

i would like to lower my shifter a tad, but i have it adjusted as low as it will go with my buell pegs, any lower and it hits the kickstand when i down shift

Uh-wind 5'th to redline then bang it - goes right in....:poke:
Seriously, I had a few missed shifts like you describe-hate it when that happens. Either the tranny smoothed in or I figured it out, prollly havn't missed one since 7-8,000 miles. I'm thinking the tranny broke in a bit, it's "just like buttah!". Mobil one 4T

I have found that when I went to synthetic that it shifted better when I filled it up to the top line on the window. It also downshifted a lot better. Not sure what the exact reason is but it does.

It was actually a bit notchy when the oil level was at the normal fill level. I used to fill my Gen 1 to the top line also but that was because I used to do a lot of wheelies. However, new laws were passed regarding wheelies and its not worth doing them on the street anymore. Too big of a penalty and not worth it.:laugh:

Back