Trailering your Busa

Rhythm

http://www.youtube.com/us
Donating Member
Registered
For all of you that trailer your Busa please share with us what tiedown methods works for . As for those that havent trailered a bike and only read about "how to" please refrain and let the Playaz with actual over the road experience share their methods.

Thanks

Rhythm I use canyon straps and rachet tie downs! Plus, I put one through the tire (rear).... Trailered my ride back from four states away. No problems... The most important thing you can do is check and re check your bike often during the first leg of your trip. There are no sure things.

Yup, Handlebar straps are KEY. Each end wraps around the grips and then the tie downs run through a "sleeve" through the straps. This saves your handlebars, chassis and fairings etc from the pressure that will be applied to the hooks. I, too, also put two tiedowns interlaced with one another and wrap it around the rearwheel. Always check the tightness of the tiedowns for the first 20+ miles to make sure they haven't been knocked loose. I'll try to get my digital camera out and photograph how I tiedown.

I use 3 ratcheting tie down per side and really compress the suspension. Using only 4 would work but you could be in trouble if one lets loose. With 6 total you at least have backup. Bike in first gear, front wheel straight, kickstand and side are NOT used. I haven't trailered the Busa but on my other bikes I've hooked onto the triple tree from under the frame neck, then two hooked up in the center at a frame location and two at the grab rail in the rear. Of course never toss over the gas tank or even the seat, those straps will easily crush the tank or leave a permanent indentation in your seat.
Once secured down it'll be stable as a brick wall.

Be sure to secure the left over lengths of strap! If you don't they'll flap around in the wind and start to destroy your paint job within a few miles.

As someone mentioned, check them after a few miles, you may need to tighten things or make a few adjustments. After that check on things when you stop to refuel or eat, odds are you won't have to mess with it again for the rest of your trip.

Yea, I use the candies strap also, I also run a strap through the rear wheel. i too, use 2 ties per side, as someone metioned, it is good to have a back-up.
A freind of mine was trailoring a 2000 busa, and a rachet tie gave way, and the bike fell, had to put a new tank on. I can,t help but feel if he had 2 ties on each side, his bike would have never fell. But Hey, that,s just me.
tounge.gif

Here's what I do:
I use a tow bar (EBay special) and 3 - 4 tie downs.
I have towed the Busa several times, probably no less than 1000 miles.
BikePics.com

<!--EDIT|Cecil_Stringer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1103992308 -->

I use 6 wratchet tie downs 2 on the handle bars with bar ties 2 in the middle and 2 in the back. Just being overly protective.

I use soft ties over the lower triple clamp with tie downs. I will also use a soft tie on the right side and on the left a tie down attached to the left side rear peg bracket thru the hole left vacant with the tremoval of the stock exhaust. No problems what so ever trailering several times a year.

Kevin
info@mrcycles.com

Use handlebar straps, two ratchets on the front, two on the back, also use one thru front wheel. Tighten down front almost to the stops and leave the kickstand down. Hit a bump in the road at 45mph one time and the straps came loose, luckily bike came down on the kickstand and I was able to pull over, that is when I started tightend the frontend almost to the stops.

LA SportChocks Just drive the front tire in and lock the rear down with straps around the rear pegs. Rock Solid.

<!--EDIT|jwcfbd
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104212734 -->

trailer.JPG

Good lQQkn out jwcfbd, but your info (response) is useless without a link

LA Sport Chock

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104214817 -->

1 canyon dancer ($29 at denniskirk.com) and 3 straps.  I go with 4 straps for trips longer than 30 minutes.  As advised, stop and check every so often for strap loosening.

Canyon Dancer at Dennis Kirk
I've trailered my busa about 9 times now I bought a set of canyon dancers - link in another post here also used ratchet style tie downs as they are the 800lb ones I also tied down the rear from the swingarm. On the check make sure you do you first check with in the first mile or so do not wait as the bike bounces it will find any slack in the tie usually from the hooks settling in. I usually drive until I've hit a few bumps have some close to the house and then I get out and do a quick check. Had a buddy with an R6 on the trailer once and he didn't check 12 miles down the road I'm watching it sway back and forth luckily I have wheel chocks on the trailer (highly recommended) and we pulled over and got it snugged down before something bad happened. oh and I personally leave the kickstand down so when I losen it back up I don't forget and watch her fall as I losen one side
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|MoTrFinger
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104215397 -->

I use 6 wratchet tie downs 2 on the handle bars with bar ties 2 in the middle and 2 in the back.  Just being overly protective.
Not at all NE....I use 6 too.......every single time......only takes 2 mins longer, and well worth it for the one time she drops (or a customers bike) and ya end up with a big bill.......couple mins every time, could save a couple thousand $$ down the road!!

I have used the Canyon Dancer strap each time I have trailered by bikes, but this last time I added a set of Yoyodyne sliders which worked wonderfully.  Works well since I've already got the holes cut for the sliders. So well , in fact, I didn't need the Canyon Dancer, but left it on for added protection (and the in case scenario).  Couple pics to show 'ya. Never mind the towel it gets wrapped around the straps and I added a set of straps to the back for this last trip. Made a short trip around the block to check for safety and everything turned out fine. Actually drove around town for a couple days just to make sure everything was tight.

<!--EDIT|BigBSBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104229793 -->

post_6_54683_DSC00515.jpg

Back