Question on trailering...

casualdreamer

Registered
I have researched through the forum on my trailering question but did not come up with anything. Ok, delima. I am stationed in N.C but there is a brand new open 6x10 traier that is in s.c for sale for 899 out the door. I know that trailers have plates or some do. Will I get pulled over just for pulling an empty trailer back to n.c so that I can get it registered and a permenant plate placed on it. Just wondering because I can't really find any cheaper that are brand new. I was looking for used but sometimes you really can't find or trust some that have had their trailers so thought I might as well get brand new and them make it my own... Thanks for the help.

If you are concerned, keep the bill of sale of with you, and if you get pulled over, it will suffice as proof of ownership till you get the tag.
I bet you wont have any problems though.

:thumbsup:

Just make a little white sign that says TEMP TAG and put the date on it. That might also help you from being pulled over.

Twotone evert has listed it right! If the dealer doesn't issue you a temp tag, then I wouldn't fabricate one! Being a law enforcement officer, those "temp tag, lost tag, stolen tag!" Is going to draw my attention to you quicker than not having a registration plate at all! Just keep all the paperwork from the sale with you and you will be fine!
Posted via Mobile Device

I did see that the last time i was in S.C. That instead of temp tags on cars there was a dealer vanity plate on with the temp registration in the window. It might be the same with trailers also.

Just make a little white sign that says TEMP TAG and put the date on it. That might also help you from being pulled over.

:laugh: then they would probaly get you for fictious tags, the bill a sale will be enough.

you can get a "BILL OF SALE" form of the internet,the guy that bought mine had one,filled it out,signed it and it was good for him to take back to NY

I doubt they will give you a temp tag in SC, because they dont need plates on trailers in SC anyway. At least they didnt when I lived there, which was about 7 yrs ago.

I don't know about South Carolina but in Washington State a bill of sale won't get you home without a ticket. If you choose not to license the trailer in South Carolina then I'd check on an intransit permit. In Washington they are $20 and it's good for three days. Call the South Carolina dept of licensing, I"m sure they will be happy to brush you up on the rules.

I lost my tag last year. I've made a Trip to Tx, a couple of trips to KC, and at least 1 trip to NC wihtout a tag. No problems with getting pulled over on any of them.

As said just keep bill of sale with you. I would recomend you go with a 6x12 trailer.You will thank yourself in the long run for the extra room. I have used 6x10's and 6x12's. The extra 2 feet make a big diference inside.I went with a 7x14 single axle with brakes. I can fit 2 bikes in the front and one backwards with its rear wheel between the others rear wheel in th rear of the trailer.

Back