U-Hual Motorcycle Trailer, Loading?

Mythos

Registered
I have everything well thought out and set up to transport the busa in a 5' x 9' uncovered U-Haul motorcycle trailer. The only thing that is unclear is how I am going to get the bike up in the trailer. The fold-down ramp is only 4 feet long. The trailer is about 14" off the ground.

1. Is the busa going to make it over the top of the ramp without scraping?

2. Will I be able to push the bike up that ramp? I'm 215 lbs but I'm not Superman.

Needs more pictures

Here's what I got from an image search. Looking at the angle of that ramp, it sure looks like the busa could sneak over the top of that ramp without scraping. I do see pics of other sport bikes in this trailer.

Anyone ever tried this with the busa?

As stated use a board or...park the truck on a hill compared to the trailer this will change the angle of the trailer and make the tail end lower to the ground. Easy loading then.

I have everything well thought out and set up to transport the busa in a 5' x 9' uncovered U-Haul motorcycle trailer. The only thing that is unclear is how I am going to get the bike up in the trailer. The fold-down ramp is only 4 feet long. The trailer is about 14" off the ground.

1. Is the busa going to make it over the top of the ramp without scraping?

2. Will I be able to push the bike up that ramp? I'm 215 lbs but I'm not Superman.

Probably not going to make it over the the transition from the ramp to the trailer without dragging...
As already mentioned a board longer then the ramp would work.
Or chalk the tires and raise the front of the trailer. Prop it up on something stable.
Can also put the towing vehicles rear tires up on blocks or ramps.

I use the rise on my driveway. Park the trailer at the bottom of the drive and the ramp is a lot shallower. Used to use UHAUL all the time. I don't strap so there is pressure on the suspension so I used a Pitbull trailer stay mounted on plywood. Worked perfectly. I put a few eye hook in the plywood and strapped that to the trailer. Bike was happy when we got to the track.

My bikes make it into a truck 3 feet off the ground with 8 foot ramps . wifes bike is lowered .
if your real worried a 4 foot board applied middle of the 4 foot steel drop ramp will change the angle with no need to find a special place for truck / trailer angle changes

Thank you all for the great advice. I think this will work but if not propping the ramp on a rise or some wood should do it. A couple inches would amount to a lot less steep angle. Bolt three 4x4s together side by side and cut on an angle. Drive up on that and that would drop the back of the trailer 10 inches.

This does not look as bad as I thought.

I don't strap so there is pressure on the suspension so I used a Pitbull trailer stay mounted on plywood. Worked perfectly.
That's what I'm doing. I have made a 4" high 4' x 8' platform to bolt the trailor restraint to. Ratchet strapped at each corner to hold it down. LOTs of work and probably weighs 200 lbs but I wanted to make sure this thing would be ridged in case a strap lets go. Yeah, a 3/4' plywood with 2x4s on flat would have been fine. I will show pics when I get this project done....very soon.

Thank you all for the great advice. I think this will work but if not propping the ramp on a rise or some wood should do it. A couple inches would amount to a lot less steep angle. Bolt three 4x4s together side by side and cut on an angle. Drive up on that and that would drop the back of the trailer 10 inches.

This does not look as bad as I thought.

That's what I'm doing. I have made a 4" high 4' x 8' platform to bolt the trailor restraint to. Ratchet strapped at each corner to hold it down. LOTs of work and probably weighs 200 lbs but I wanted to make sure this thing would be ridged in case a strap lets go. Yeah, a 3/4' plywood with 2x4s on flat would have been fine. I will show pics when I get this project done....very soon.
Back the truck up onto a set of car ramps.

two problems wth lowering your ramp
1 you may not be able to repeat the process when you get to where you are going So call ahead
2 if you do not think you will be able to push it up the current ramp you will now have to push it up the entire length of the trailer as well.
I would seriously suggest not actually riding the bike up Using the motor is fine as long as you are beside it Not on it.
I would also think a person to help push and /or spot you would be a good idea Especially if you are going to add a 12 in wide board to the process
unless you can do this of course
ymmv
jp

The problem with riding up is once your front tire is up the ramp your feet can no longer reach the ground. If you stop for any reason you can’t save it. I always load walking beside the bike. I find people are always willing to help at a track. It really helps to park trailer on a slope or with rear wheels at bottom of curb but that’s harder to find at a track.

The problem with riding up is once your front tire is up the ramp your feet can no longer reach the ground. If you stop for any reason you can’t save it. I always load walking beside the bike. I find people are always willing to help at a track. It really helps to park trailer on a slope or with rear wheels at bottom of curb but that’s harder to find at a track.
With respect, you spend 99.9999% of your riding time without your feet on the ground. The brief moment when you can't shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people hesitate going up a ramp and fall, when had they just rode normally they would have been fine. Two people walking a bike up is fine. One not so much. That's just me though.

Back