U-Hual Motorcycle Trailer, Loading?

With respect, you spend 99.9999% of your riding time without your feet on the ground. The brief moment when you can't shouldn't be a problem. I've seen people hesitate going up a ramp and fall, when had they just rode normally they would have been fine. Two people walking a bike up is fine. One not so much. That's just me though.
HI. In my 54 yrs of riding I have loaded over a 1000 bikes in trucks, trailers always drove them up the ramp .

#AwesomeGen2 ~ #YouKnowWeCanHelp*

Guess I could have phrased it “just don’t stop”. Usually people are overly cautious and stall the bike half way up. Makes good youtube videos.

Thanks all for more advice on this. I missed some replies as I was busy as the dickens building a platform to use my trailer restraint and wheel chock in the U-Haul. Pics on that below.

JP, I gotta disagree with you brother. Walking beside a running bike up the ramp is a terrible idea. You've got no place to go if you misstep and/or the bike gets away from you. You're better off riding it.
I thought about it. I would very much think it would something anyone should practice on flat ground before trying it on a ramp. As for riding it up, I could have done that but my weight on the bike might have made it scrape as I topped the ramp. No need to test that. It was easy as pie to roll the busa with gas on E up that 4 foot ramp on a very slight downhill grade.

I have everything well thought out and set up to transport the busa in a 5' x 9' uncovered U-Haul motorcycle trailer. The only thing that is unclear is how I am going to get the bike up in the trailer. The fold-down ramp is only 4 feet long. The trailer is about 14" off the ground.

1. Is the busa going to make it over the top of the ramp without scraping?

2. Will I be able to push the bike up that ramp? I'm 215 lbs but I'm not Superman.
Get a good brisk walking pace going from about 40 feet behind the ramp and it almost climbs in on its own momentum. It clears the top. I practiced that several times and had no problem at all.

So the questions about getting the bike in the trailer were answered. YES--no problems there at all. Now, how do I use my new Pit Bull Trailer restraint and wheel chock in a rented trailer?? Build a false trailer bed!! might seem like overkill. A 4 x 8 foot sheet of 3/4" plywood with a few 2x4s screwed in across to stiffen and keep it centered would have sufficed to mount the trailer restraint and wheel chock. Canyon Dancers on top to keep it from swaying. I went to the next level since this was not a short trip and I do plan to use this at least several times.

2x4 frame, bolted, crossbars under wheels and trailer restraint and every 11.5" on center, 3/4" plywood, D-rings a handle and a small wooden ramp to get on the platform. It worked like a charm but it was a lot of work and it weighs more than I do (which is good for what this thing is supposed to do). Canyon Dancers were for my peace of mind since the trailer restraint does allow for a slight rocking on the axle side to side. The setup never budged. The RH canyon Dancer took one extra click after the first 30 miles. The RH middle D-ring strap also lost tension. I decided it was better to leave it loose. Retightening might have resulted in the platform getting pulled to the right a second time so I left it. The other 7 D-ring straps stayed as tight as when I left.

I already have a tutorial written up on how to build this thing and I will post it as soon as I get a few diagrams drawn up.

false.tailer.bed.frame.jpg

false.trailer.bed.test2.jpg

false.trailer.bed.centerd.in.trailer.jpg

false.bed.bike.loaded.jpg

false.bed.uhaul.truck2.jpg

Click the link below to see my How-To if anyone wants to make this monstroosity. Just know that it weighs about 250 lbs and it costs $250~300 for the materials not including tools and the bike stands. You might be able to pick up a small used trailer that you can drill holes in for the same money it costs to build this.

Hi. I have never walked a bike up a ramp to the bed of a pick-up or a trailer. If they run I ride them all up. I have never done this, using a dirt bike jump it up in the truck bed and do a 360 back flip and land it right in the chock.

Trailering is a lot of things that might go wrong. I rolled my busa and my 14 over the top of that ramp and I think it cam pretty close. No need to wreck the bike before you even get it strapped in. That's how I see it. If you can find a hump to drop the ramp on, go ahead and ride it up. Just don't second guess yourself and find yourself with no ground under you to put your feet on. Getting a good brisk walk down a slight decline in the road was easy enough for me with an empty fuel tank. If you're a busa newbie, maybe get a partner to help you roll it up. Just don't push on the plastics. It's not that hard though.

how i trailer a bike :

original shape of the trailer was ~ 1.35 x 2.20 meters / 52 x 90 " with a loading height of ~ 52 cm / 21"

1st step was to reduce the 13 " rims and tires to 10" each
2nd - axis lowered 2 "and the resulting loading height now is only about 42 cm / 16"
3rd - loading area extended (with WIG welded steelwork and finally screwed on) to 2 meters wide and 3.3 meters long / 78 x 130 "

Stema-H%C3%A4nger%20Erweiterung%2003.jpg

Anh%C3%A4nger-1.jpg

Anh%C3%A4nger-2.jpg

and
4th - equipped with airline rails plus the matching rings for the ratchet straps
172.png

plus
5th - a rocking guide (the orange piece) for the front wheel and everything is perfect

the result is
2019_Haya_in_Wippe.jpg

6th - straps for around the lower yoke for the hook of the ratchet straps
zurrschlaufen.gif
zurrgurt%20autom%2025mm%20breit%20300daN.gif

7th - this foldable alu "black line" / 340 kg (750 lb) serves perfect as a ramp
rampe.jpg

and the trailer even fits for 2 motorbikes side by side without any stress - i love it

Last edited:
Back