Trailer tie down setup?

Exactly what I've been saying! :laugh:

Looks just like this, 6'6" x 10'

rice4-500x375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want the S.W.E.E.T setup go here: Linky!

I strapped my bikes down for years until I finally broke down and bought the Pitbull Trailer Restraint set up and it has made life so much easier. No straps No stands. Just slip the pins in the axle, roll the beast into the trailer flip two latches over to locked position, insert two safety lock pins and you are done. Takes all of about 60 seconds. And there is no need to stop every hundred miles to tighten the straps or to keep a constant eye on the rearview to make sure the bikes are still in place.

trailer-restraints_t.jpg

I'd love to Tuf, but I already own two Baxley's and a Condor. I'm pot committed.. :rofl:

You know Bots, you have to blow in my ear before you kiss me! :shocked:

The only thing committed at your house is the pig who gave up the bacon on your breakfast plate! :laugh:

I too have baxley chocks and I too did the goofy setup like you plan with straps running in all directions and I was too cheap to take the plunge into 21st century technology. If you do decide to spent a few bucks and help Pitbull pay their mandatory Obama care bills you won't be sorry. The ease of load and unload is a real asset but more than that it gives you lots of additional space to haul other stuff without the front stands and straps. Also the pitbull units come completely out with the simple pull of a pin with the only thing left in the trailer is the deck plate leaving the trailer usefull for hauling wood, beauty bark or anything else you'd like to haul.

Just a suggestion Bots! Nice trailer you have there bud! If you don't mind my asking, what did you have to pay for that unit less tax and license? I have a friend who want's one just like that and I have no idea on cost.

I got it used Tuf. I traded some stuff for it. I have about $600 into it total. That isn't my exact trailer, but it's darn close.

Like Tuf said, pitbull trailer restraint system, 1000's of miles on mine, no straps, no tie downs, works flawless, worth twice the price!

If you want the S.W.E.E.T setup go here: Linky!

I strapped my bikes down for years until I finally broke down and bought the Pitbull Trailer Restraint set up and it has made life so much easier. No straps No stands. Just slip the pins in the axle, roll the beast into the trailer flip two latches over to locked position, insert two safety lock pins and you are done. Takes all of about 60 seconds. And there is no need to stop every hundred miles to tighten the straps or to keep a constant eye on the rearview to make sure the bikes are still in place.

Tried to send you a PM Tuf, but is said your inbox was full.

Does the front end of the bike bounce around at all if/when you hit a large bump on the interstate? I understand how the system works, just not so sure about the front wheel being loose/free to do as it pleases.

Does the front end of the bike bounce around at all if/when you hit a large bump on the interstate? I understand how the system works, just not so sure about the front wheel being loose/free to do as it pleases.

The front would be able to bounce, but it can't move left to right just based on the design of the "lock."

My biggest fear would be the bike flipping in a crash of some sort, but at that point, I'm screwed anyway.. :laugh:

I use a front wheel chock with my pitbull.

I can tell you the bike is not going anywhere, tested 90 mph and hitting potholes the size of basketballs in the rain for 100's of miles heading to sturgis last year, my neighbor drives crazy, but he gets us there fast.

Taylor do you have any pics of using both? Wondering how that works..

Yes the pitbull a seem nice but what about us with Wide tire kits? The pitbull won't work! I been using the sand from harbor freight the black steel adjustable wheel chock and you can remove all the upper parts to make it almost flush with trailer floor. And at $50.00 with a coupon it's not bad. I've had these on my open and enclosed trailers for 4 years 1000"s of miles no problems.

image-327090242.jpg

Thanks Taylor. Now you've got me thinking.. I don't see why I can't build a rear axle restraint if I'm going to use it in conjunction with my Baxley.....

Hmmmm....... More to come.. :laugh:

One of the assets of the pitbull trailer restraints is there is no pressure on the bike's suspension as it is with the straps. The bike is free to move on it's suspension. I suppose if you hit a bump hard enough the front wheel could come up but it has no choice but to stay put as long as it's in the restraint.

Great system those Alabama boys came up with. Sometimes that redneck engineering is beneficial to society :laugh:

The Pitbull restraints are very popular up here. Most of the high end racers use these. And the rest wish their wife would lone them the money to buy a set. If Bot's wife REALLY loved him she would buy a set and have them sitting by the bed when he came home from work! ???

Hokay Bots - sorry it took so long...

I couldn't find the pics...so I loaded up the bikes earlier and snapped some pics for ya. My trailer is a 6' x 14' V-nose. The tip of the 'V' is 14'

Here I have the chocks put in place...and you can see where the D-rings are in relation to the chocks. If I'm only hauling one bike, the chock goes in the middle...a little further toward the front to put more weight on the tongue.

View attachment 261225

View attachment 261226

Here's my bike loaded and you can see that I have a strap from the rear peg bracket to the D-ring. Using the Baxley's - that's all you need...two straps, one from each rear peg bracket...going pulling the bike forward into the Baxley. The bike(s) WILL NOT move...you don't even need to tighten the straps too much. The benefit of using the Baxley is not having to compress the front suspension.

View attachment 261227

View attachment 261228

Here's both bikes loaded side-by-side. You can see that the mirrors are folded in to avoid them touching.

View attachment 261229

View attachment 261230

View attachment 261231

And there is plenty of room on each side still - they DO NOT touch the sides...or even come close to it.

View attachment 261232

View attachment 261233

And I can even carry THREE Busas...and have a couple times. May be hard to see, but I have mounting plates up front for another chock - put one up front and the two in the back.

View attachment 261234

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - they're bolted down...just two bolts holds them. In all reality - the bolts mainly just keep the Baxley from sliding forward. The weight of the bike, along with the bolts, is plenty.

I made 1/4" steel mounting plates for the chocks - you can kinda see them in the first two pics above...but here's a better view in this thread:

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-haulers/120470-updated-pics-more-mods.html#post2207684

I routed the plates into the floor so they sit flush. Then it's easy to bolt the chocks in.

Back