Motorcycle trailers

BigGeorge

BigGeorge
Donating Member
Registered
I was trailer shopping today at the Depot - want something simple to hold maybe 2 Busas (just in case). Looking at a 8x6 utility trailer with small tires, drop down ramp, straight axel, tiny leaf springs, 1600 pund capacity... nice enough for about $750. So some dude pulls up looking at my Busa and starts chatting about hauling mototrcycles with these chainstore-bought trailers. How the leafs springs and tires are too small and how the weight of my Busa will cause it to bounce around like a basketball behind my truck. DAMN! I never knew that.

So, who has experience with utility trailers and hauling Busas? Is this a fact about the trailer bouncing around? And how about the bearings and leaf springs... are they easily damaged?

Thanks!
-G

The one I was looking at looks sorta like this...
0e_1.JPG

I was trailer shopping today at the Depot - want something simple to hold maybe 2 Busas (just in case). Looking at a 8x6 utility trailer with small tires, drop down ramp, straight axel, tiny leaf springs, 1600 pund capacity... nice enough for about $750. So some dude pulls up looking at my Busa and starts chatting about hauling mototrcycles with these chainstore-bought trailers. How the leafs springs and tires are too small and how the weight of my Busa will cause it to bounce around like a basketball behind my truck. DAMN! I never knew that.

So, who has experience with utility trailers and hauling Busas? Is this a fact about the trailer bouncing around? And how about the bearings and leaf springs... are they easily damaged?

Thanks!
-G

The one I was looking at looks sorta like this...
0e_1.JPG
I had this exact trailer!!! Actually after looking at the picture closer, the ramp on the trailer i had was bigger/longer.  I did not have a problem with it bouncing around at all.  The only problem i had with it was the fact that the little "hooks" that are supposed to hold the ramp up when your towing didnt work so good.  I had to cargo strap the ramp up because the first trip i took with it, i made it about 100 miles and the ramp fell down.  I thought i had blown a tire cause it was night time and all i saw was sparks.  I pulled over then realized it was the ramp i was dragging.  After that i just strapped it and had no problems.  I just sold it because the only time i used it was for the bike... in 2 years i used it 4 times.  Made four trips that were 120 miles one way with the trailer and had no problems.  Anyway... as i was saying, it didnt bounce around at all with the bike on it.  When it was empty it did a little but even empty going 70mph on the highway it was rock solid.   Let me know if you have any questions...

<!--EDIT|Sloto200
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155452305 -->

my neighbor has a similar trailer for his Harley's... He is always wanting to upgrade the tires... I think some hubs are better rated for highway use and speed. I would look into that before purchase... but then again I don't have a trailer so I could be talking out my but.:p

Thanks, Sloto. I only plan on using it a couple times a year so I don't want to go crazy and spend a bunch of money on a trailer. On the other hand I didn't want to buy somethng and see my Busa bounce off in the middle of the highway and cause a 12-car pile up! Now that you mention it, I can see where those ramp hooks could be a problem. Today is taxfree day in Mass... so hopefully I can find a good deal on that trailer.

Thanks again.
cool.gif

-G

my neighbor has a similar trailer for his Harley's... He is always wanting to upgrade the tires... I think some hubs are better rated for highway use and speed.  I would look into that before purchase... but then again I don't have a trailer so I could be talking out my but.:p
Thanks, Jessup!
biggrin.gif

Based on my experince, the only suggestion I would make is see if you can upgrade the tires. Something with a regular 14" trailer tires. Sometimes, those little tires travel at twice the rotational speed of your car tires and the bearings heat up. Otherwise, as long as you don't exceed the carrying capacity of the trailer you should be OK

With the screen flooring, you might want to consider a wood flooring of some type. A freind's son bought one similar to haul two gsxr 1k's and the grating bowed after strapping. Maybe some 2x's or plywood floor? Nice trailer regardless.

I recently purchased a new motorcycle trailer. I used to use a Kendon standup and it worked fine. Certain bikes required help getting onto the trailer. The new trailer is made by Aluma. It also stands up in the garage and I can mount my Baxley chock on it. It has a 4 foot wide solid aluminum ramp that stores. It also has a torsion bar suspension and removeable nose guard. Depending what you need the trailer for, it should be adequate. I don't care for the mesh floor and would be very concerned about having a solid anchor points for tiedowns. It doesn't look like it offers much protection from road debris. I don't think I'd be comfortable transporting a bike on that for any long distances. I am using the MC1F. I ordered it without the factory wheel chock. More $$ than the trailer your looking at though.

link

i would get one with at least the bigger tires regular 14 or 15 inch tires seem to hold out better than those little ones do i would also want a wood floor in the trailer since the screen they use to build those with isnt very sturdy and wont last long under a load that is concentrated in one spot just my .02

I have a 5' x 10' single axel trailer with wood floor and ramp, and it works great for two bikes. The trailer I have has 15" wheels though. My friend just got back from Sturgis with it, and it hauled his Harley three wheeler with no problems. I paid about the same as the trailer you are looking at, but mine looks more heavy duty than the one you are considering.

i would get one with at least the bigger tires regular 14 or 15 inch tires seem to hold out better than those little ones do i would also want a wood floor in the trailer since the screen they use to build those with isnt very sturdy and wont last long under a load that is concentrated in one spot just my .02
Yes.

If buying a trailer, single axle - get a 3500# axle with 14 or 15 in tires. Eventually, you will find yourself hauling alot more than your Busa's with it. Those trailers in your pic look weak, bro. The expanded metal floors are "el cheapo".
Do it right the first time - get a more heavy duty trailer if your gonna get one anyway........... You may pay a little more, but It will last alot longer.
cool.gif

Here is one 4-sale on the board. Wish I had a truck to pull it with. [/QUOTE]
+1......NICE trailer. Already setup for a Baxley too.

Just to let you know most home depot's have tool rentals now and if you have one close to you thats one or two years old you can get a really good deal on one of the industrial trailers.I picked up a nice 1 ton biljax unit thats 58x72 with a deck that can be lowered via hand winch so no ramps are needed.It fits the busa perfectly but if you had an exended swingarm it wouldnt be long enough.Its also great for when you have to pick up a drum of race gas,just lower the deck to the ground and slide it on,this thing has really saved me alot of labor.Anyway if you find one at a local depot you can talk with the rental guys,do a little dealing and get one for a great price if its old enough.Hope this helps,Nick.

I used to haul my bikes on a trailer made by Trailmaster. It was constructed using steel pipe/tube vs angle iron and it had 2x12 flooring with heavy duty hitch, axle, and 15" tires. You want to make sure you get something with a solid axle and keep the bearings greased well so you don't see it flipping over behind you while pulling it down the road. I've been wanting to buy an enclosed trailer like the one for sale on the board but haven't seen anything close by.

Back