Trailer tie down setup?

GsxrBots

Motorboatin' Moonpies, Gangnam Style
Registered
So I recently acquired a new trailer (open trailer) and am going to set it up to haul two bikes. For starters let's figure two Busas...

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as distances for strap hold downs, etc. I'll be using two Baxley sport chocks.

There is also a Harley Ultra that will go on there too, but that's a different beast.

I have a few sections of E-track but I'd rather not mount it to this trailer. I was thinking those floor d-rings. Just don't have the option to move those after I install them.

Any of you trailer pros figure out what works best? Maybe save a brother some headache by doing some measuring for me?

:please:

My Harley is not an Ultra. Just a Classic. Are we putting your bike in the back of the truck? I don't think we can get both baggers and your bike on that trailer. :laugh::poke::whistle:

I have always had the straps at a small angle not way out to the front or rear.

How wide is your open trailer Bots? Pics?

When it comes to the width of placing tie down mounts I always believe better side/side leverage is the key.

On my 8 ft wide trailer each tie down is almost 4 ft apart for side by side bikes. D links in the floors. Then another bike can fit in the middle facing the rear and it's tie downs are actually 8 ft apart. I still run an additional strap down each side to the chock itself.

On my 6 ft trailer I overlap the tie downs. I still run them where I can strap about 4 ft apart for each bike then run additional straps straight down to the chocks.

Here's the 8 ft enclosed, we can tow 3 here. The blue trailer I believe is 7 ft wide with overlapping tie downs. These bikes are not going anywhere, LoL. I do not have a picture of the 6 ft wide trailer loaded.

100_1979.jpg

100_1970.jpg

Garage area loaded 1.jpg

Garage area loaded 2.jpg

I have a 4x8 open trailer that is a bit tight when getting 2 bikes on, but it works. I use Baxley chocks that I secure to the deck of the trailer with some wood and u-bolts. Then I had 2 feet in total length L brackets welded to the outside front of the trailer to give me anchor points more perpendicular to the bikes. If you strap the bike down right at the edge of the trailer, it tends to sway more than I like.

Anyway, if I can get a Hayabusa and a ZX-14 on a 4x8 trailer and haul them 600 miles, you can fit yours.

Thanks Outlaw!

I'm hoping to not use bar harnesses with the Baxleys. I usually do, but after hearing so many success stories just with strapping to the pegs, I'm gonna go that route.. Only time will tell.. :thumbsup:

Our trailer is 6' wide and I have 3 of those D-rings mounted...on in the center and one on each side. They are placed about the middle of the bike. Since you're using Baxley's...you just need two straps, one from each rear peg mount, forward to the D-ring. This will pull the bike into the Baxley...and it's not going anywhere!

I'll have to dig around to see if I have any pics showing both Busas in there...

Passenger pegs. I know I have some pics, let me look for 'em

Sounds almost exactly like my setup. Open trailer, metal mesh bottom. Baxley that is bolted to floor. I put eyebolts in the floor, then strap to the passenger pegs (I also strap front wheel thru Baxley to trailer. It would probably hang upside down on the trailer not going anywhere.

Sounds almost exactly like my setup. Open trailer, metal mesh bottom. Baxley that is bolted to floor. I put eyebolts in the floor, then strap to the passenger pegs (I also strap front wheel thru Baxley to trailer. It would probably hang upside down on the trailer not going anywhere.

:worthless:

Back