Track day report

vman1300

Never Forgotten
Just got back from Roebling Road Raceway outside Savannah, GA. I spent Saturday and Sunday ripping up the track.

I am no track expert, only been to a few, but the surface was without a doubt the smoothest I have ever ridden on. Grip at any line in the turns. Life is good!

This day I joined a few friends from the FZ1 owners group. We ended up with about 15 from that message board riding.....hint, hint- I KNOW us East Coast track junkied can top that..........

Roebling is a 2.02 mile, 9 turn course that suits any high hp sport bike. With turn 9 a long sweeping right high 2nd gear or just into 3rd, leading to a 1/2 mile straight.

Yes my fellow top speed junkies, 1/2 mile....... life is good!

This day was put on by NESBA, very well run and the staff at RRR were outstanding...I cant wait to go back.

I finally added a XT lap timer to my track day gear. It allows me to track my improvement throughout the weekend.

I STILL ride in the beginner class with NESBA and traffic in the 1st couple of sessions was bad, lots of bunching up. Passing runs in B, only when the bike is in a straight or upright.

I turned a 1.33 lap in the 1st and a 1.31 in the 2nd with clear track. One of the guys pitted next to me in Intermediate turned a 1.36 his second session......

After lunch, I was consistantly turning laps in the 1.30 to 1.31 range. I spoke to a CR who followed me for the last session about what I need to improve on to move to I.

He told me to work on hanging off a tad more, especially on rt handers and I would get my bump to I.

And while working with that CR....I turned a 1.28 lap! Not too shabby for a fatt kidd on a touring bike, lol.

On Sunday I planned on running 3 sessions and heading home.

1st two, went VERY well. Working with another CR, I clicked off 4 laps, back to back in the high 1.28's to low 1.29's.

3rd session, one on one with a CR and I turned laps consistantly improving too a best of 1.27:12. I am getting better on the hang off on the rights and hopefully will get my bump nest track day.

It was a great weekend and I hope to see some of you all on the track in 2007!

Have I mentioned, Life is good!

shot of the track

RRTrack.jpg

Looks and sounds like you had a blast. Your times sound pretty darn
good.
super.gif

vman, you are SOOOO ready for "intermediate". It is less crowded and the riders are more experienced - in other words, everyone seems to know what they are doing and are doing it safely in Intermediate. YOU tell THEM you are riding "I" next track day and they won't question it. Following your riding and abilities here at the org, I'm thinking "Advanced" isn't so far away
smile.gif
except the Busa has it's limitations at the track

...I'm just sayin'...
biggrin.gif

man, now you got me thinking again.... when I pushed my way into intermediate for the first time, it was freaking awesome! The track day was packed the the beginner class was SCARING ME, literally. They were all out to prove they were skilled, [when they weren't] wanting to pass dangerously, to fast into corners.... screw them. So, up to intermediate, pretty much TELLING them, and I was in the thick: allowed to pass on corners anywhere, etc etc ... and it was AWESOME! Oh, I got passed left and right but it was like I was in teh freakin MOTOGP! Getting passed on a corner in a pack of 8 bikes is so cool! and they are safe, skilled, curtoues, respectful - everyone out to have a great time.

...[sigh].... can't wait for my first track day this season now! thinking bout buying a small bike haulin trailer...

Thanks all!

With NESBA, once in a class, a CR has to move you. The only real bummer, a guy pitted near to us, who I smoked ALL DAY in the corners, got his bump........

I am going to sign up with STT in I......

Great looking shots Kevin. Glad you had a good time. Now, if you were off the bike anymore you would be on the track.
biggrin.gif
Man, what a lean, o yeah, I forgot, Busas cant corner.
jump9.gif

Awesome shots of you on the track, as always
smile.gif
Sounds like a great time Kevin...just awesome!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

If I won the lottery and even if i had to eat beans and cornbread only , nothing else for the rest of my life , burn the grass because I did not have money for tractor/brush hog gas :::::::::

I would buy that track or Hallet
biggrin.gif

I've always wanted to walk out my door to put 40 laps in before breakfast .

So , I'll buy a couple more tickets wednesday morning

Thanks all.

This was hands down the hardest I have ever pushed myself on the track. I want to improve my skills more and more every lap.

That is the reason I go....to get smoother. And in turn quicker.

I have STRESSED how benifical a track day can be and I see it 1st hand with the people I get to introduce to this great addiction evertime I go.

Will you be next?

Back