Road Atlanta trackday report

vman1300

Never Forgotten
Yesterday went very well for most all of us. Yes there were a few "off track excursions" but everyone involved waled away to play anudder day.

Chad decided since he had not ridden his fo fiddy in awhile to take the R1 through the gravel and into some mud in the 1st A session of the day. NESBA workers stopped the sessions and allowed the RA crew to sweep corner 11. I am so thankful that he is OK...well as OK as he was before.

I started my day on a new 08 R1 for the Yamaha test ride. 1st, HATS OFF to Yamaha for allowing people to ride brand new units on the track. The new 08 is impressive, I feel it has right at the same amount of steam on the back straight as my modded 05. I really cant speak on the suspension, since I am ahem a bit larger than the average guy. What a great way to start off a Hot Jaw-Ja day....

This was only my 2nd trackday on the R1 plus my 1st day in Intermediate and my 1st at a track I can show some comparison on lap time with the Busa. My best lap time at RA on the Busa was 1:48...not too shabby for a Fatt Kidd on a touring bike. In the 1st session on the R1 I was turning 1:47's in traffic. As the day progressed I dropped the time down to a low 1:45...again not too shabby for a Fatt Kidd on a race bike, lol.

I have ALOT to learn about riding the R1 on the track. Rob(Plimmer) followed me for a bit and confirmed what I already knew....I need to get the RPM's up higher. On the Busa I depended on the TQ to come out of the corners with...now I have to depend on high RPM Hp to do the same.

Martin was gimpping along at a sedate 1:42 pace, Reid ripping off some high 1:39's and of course Rob in the low low 1:30 range.....you guys were all flying.

I was able to ride just 4 sessions due to energy lever...chemo kinda does that to you...but overall it was a great day.

Sound like you had an awsum day man!  
bowdown.gif

Back