R1 track report from today

vman1300

Never Forgotten
After many weeks of waiting, I was finally able to secure a kitchen pass and some track time at Carolina Motorsport Park in Kershaw, SC. My nephew and I left out last night for the 3 hour tour...I mean 3 hour drive.

This morning brought very cold temps...33 degrees when we arrived at the track, burrrrrrr......... After unloading and going through tech, I decided to sit out the 1st session due to the temps.

I went out with the intermediate group and took it real easy in the 2nd session due to the cold. Even with warmers, I was very cautious due to track temp. During that session, I was getting more and more comfy with the Lees Performance tuned R1. The power is impressive with power wheelies in 1st and 2nd gear... keep in mind I am still over 300lbs and as far forward as I could be on the pegs.

By the end of the session I was 100% happy with the new aquired track bike.

The 2nd session, well that when the R1 and mine 1st experience with the pavement on a race track, yep the Vman took a tumble. While going through turn 2, maybe 35-40 mph, I low sided quicker that I could imagine. I am well used to spinning the rear tire out of a corner, been doing that for years on the Busa. This was a completly different feeling....as if there was something in the corner...IE sand, anti freeze or oil....

The damage to me was nothing, just a scratch on my helmet, leathers did real well, just need a few seams re-stitched. The R1, broken windshield and brake reservoir bracket. The sliders did their job and I am really happy with the outcome, if that is possible.

I talked to several people and there quite a few crashes before lunch in turn 2 and the track officials spent lunch break in that area a lot. 2 good riders I know crashed in the area, 2 to 4..... all saying it was as if there was something on the track.

If I was riding hard, I would chalk it up to cold tires to early in the session. But at low speed..I honestly believe something was there.

I did finish the day on the Busa and had a great afternoon. This was the Busa's last track day and it is officall retired from track duty.

I do have track plastic for the R1 in the paint shop and cant wait till next season!

Leaving the house.

r1leavingforcmp.jpg

Great report, sorry to hear about your get off, lets see some more pics of that R1!
beerchug.gif

good to hear the spill was not bad. smart for taking it slow in the cold vman.
thumb_up.gif

Most of the cowl damage to the right lower was already there. I just added a few more scatches. The clutch slider did its job....

crashdamage2.jpg

Ok thats it? a before and after?... I am sure you can come up with more than that
smile.gif

Glad you got out and down the track... glad you didn't hurt yourself... as far as the bike, sorry to hear about the get off as well, but it's only a bike, they make more.

Kevin, glad to see your OK. Your yammi looks great, even after the mishap. I can't wait for next years track season. Hopefully we can arrange a group get together.

Chris

Glad you ended up having a good day, but sorry to hear about the low side. Good thing you have race plastics in work.

Kevin, First, I am glad you are OK. I am glad you were able to go and enjoy your track day and have a good time. Doesnt look like to much damage to the R1 and I am sure you will have it repaired soon. I hope you and Brenda have a great holiday season.
smile.gif

Tim
smile.gif

smile.gif

Hey Vman, how would you rank the R-1 as an "all around bike" ? I LOVE the look , and feel to them, I just never REALLY rode one. I rode my boy's 06 aniv. edit., but you know what it's like riding someone else's bike. The last thing you want to do is beat it up, espeacialy with them right next to you on your bike !!!!

Why can't I be rich ? I want every bike I see on here !! I do think my next bike is going to be a Gixxer 1k, R-1, or a ZX-10. It might be a little while because I want to keep my Busa.

Hey Bro glad to hear you are still living life to its fullest... Heck, even the cold weather ain't going to keep my oRg Brother from doing what he loves most. As far as the lay down you said it yourself, lots of Good riders have let her go right there. Part of the sport you know, and no harm no foul. Looking forward to those knee dragging pic's we all expect from the "K" man...

Forgot to mention... Dayum Blue colored bike. Didn't I tell you that Blue is in fact the fastest color? Got watch that Lee's machine, bet she's a brute.

it's good to know you aren't giving them a moments peace...glad you had a good time and are still ok even though you tried kissing the hard stuff...a little glue and paint and you'll be good to go again
beerchug.gif

Hey Vman, how would you rank the R-1 as an "all around bike" ? I LOVE the look , and feel to them, I just never REALLY rode one. I rode my boy's 06 aniv. edit., but you know what it's like riding someone else's bike. The last thing you want to do is beat it up, espeacialy with them right next to you on your bike !!!!

Why can't I be rich ? I want every bike I see on here !! I do think my next bike is going to be a Gixxer 1k, R-1, or a ZX-10. It might be a little while because I want to keep my Busa.
Thanks all! I am so blessed to be alright. I will take 100 lowsides over 1 highside.

As for the R1 being an all around bike, I say no. The Busa is a much better all around machine. The R1's focus is tuned more toward the corner carver or track junkie. If ya get a chance read a article by Aaron Frank called "Yamihaulin"...great piece of reading......

Hey Bro glad to hear you are still living life to its fullest... Heck, even the cold weather ain't going to keep my oRg Brother from doing what he loves most. As far as the lay down you said it yourself, lots of Good riders have let her go right there. Part of the sport you know, and no harm no foul. Looking forward to those knee dragging pic's we all expect from the "K" man...
Cancer smancer, bro.....

I cant wait to get more track time on this thing...it is a monster.

Kevin i glad you made to the track day! I know you've been waiting on it! Sorry to here that you went down, but thats racing, you fall down and get back up!

Bet you have a smile from ear to ear!
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Back