Track burn out really needed?

Where I race most of the time (Pacific Raceways) you will pick up rocks and other debris on your tire on the ride back to the staging lanes. You would want to do at least a small burnout to get this off your tire. Plus, it's too much fun doing a good burnout. I'm still on a stock arm, so I rarely spin. I do a lot more wheelies. I have a Shinko and run about 25 psi.

Where I race most of the time (Pacific Raceways) you will pick up rocks and other debris on your tire on the ride back to the staging lanes.  You would want to do at least a small burnout to get this off your tire. Plus, it's too much fun doing a good burnout.  I'm still on a stock arm, so I rarely spin.  I do a lot more wheelies.  I have a Shinko and run about 25 psi.
drop the psi by 2 per pass till you spin then go back up to previous. that is the perfect psi for you 2 run. if you dont spin, then your not getting full throttle in first gear. what are your times? 60'? 1/8? 1/4?

Dropping the psi will hook more, not spin. Did you mean raise the psi? Like I said, I don't spin much I wheelie.

My best run Saturday was 1.733 60', 6.61 1/8, 10.151 1/4 138 mph

1) Stay out of the water. 2) do a small burn out to clean the tire. 3) Be certain you arte lined up straight at the line. 4) Launch at about 3500 to 4500 RPM for a start. 5) lower pressure to about 20 psi and remember to pump it back up if you are ridding the bike homw after the race. 6) Have fun !! A burn out is fairly easy to do but will take a few times of practise to get it right. Stand up gettin your weight off the bike with your legs against the bike to hold it steady. Hold the front brake and use the heel of your hand to gently increase th RPM to about 4000 then realase the clutch gently to get the tire turning. You may have to adjust the amount of front brake or rpm to get it right for you and your bike. Again, have fun.

Agree wide sidebusa....stay out of the water!! Small burn (several rotations) just to get the crap off your tire. Air tire down (20-22 works for me on street tire) unless you want to go sideways on the 1 to 2 shift.

I run a MT ~ 20lbs. I go around the water box. I usually spin it about 7-10 seconds. I can fell it when it is ready. It will usually bite with less of a burn out, but I have found this to be the most consistent. It also helps if I get out of the groove a bit after the 60'. With a Pilot Power I run about 15-18lbs and heat it about 15-20 seconds. Works but not as consistent as the MT.

(ECC Prez @ Aug. 10 2006,19:22)
(--crew illogic @ Aug. 10 2006,17:55)
(--ECC Prez @ Aug. 10 2006,05:01) Hah, definately alot of opinions on this topic. Personally, I would do a burnout whether I needed one or not just out of habit. However, none of my friends on stock wheelbase bikes do burnouts. They just go around the water and stage up. Drop your tire pressure to like 22 or so and you will be fine.
i use a shinko and ive broke loose so i would never make a pass without a burnout. i run around 20-21 psi
I guess it depends on how good of a track you are on too. I am 12 over and run a shinko. I run like 9 psi in my tire and have no problem hooking up with a small burnout. My friends that are stock wheelbase and do no burnout never have a problem with traction.
thats cuz your like 9 over
cool.gif

drop your psi down to 15-18. thats where that shinko HOOKS!!!!

I race every weekend and never do a burnout. A properly preped track with a street tire needs no burnout. I set the tire at 21-22 psi. Do a practice launch in front of the waterbox to get to the line and see how traction is. After that there is no problem. 1.70 60', 6.55 sec at 113mph in the 1/8. I race et bracket and can be consistent without a burnout. Just make sure though that if you go through the waterbox, do a burnout. If you go around it you can do one if you want but don't have to. Only do what you feel comfortable with and have loads of fun.

(milesbm @ Oct. 13 2006,15:55) I race every weekend and never do a burnout.  A properly preped track with a street tire needs no burnout.  I set the tire at 21-22 psi.  Do a practice launch in front of the waterbox to get to the line and see how traction is.  After that there is no problem.  1.70 60', 6.55 sec at 113mph in the 1/8.  I race et bracket and can be consistent without a burnout.  Just make sure though that if you go through the waterbox, do a burnout.  If you go around it you can do one if you want but don't have to.  Only do what you feel comfortable with and have loads of fun.
Not dissin ya Miles, but what do you think would happen if you dropped 2 or 3 tenths off that short time? I know my bike will not hook unless the Shinko is good and hot, and on the asphalt, forget it. Braket racing is about consistency, not speed.

Definitly practice the burnout. I did not do a burnout the first time I went to the track and I spun the tire in second gear. After I got home form the track I did one in the driveway. If you have an asphalt drive use some water as I started burning a hole in the asphalt. Now I need to seal it up so I dont get any ice cracking the drive in the winter.

I am 8" over with a Shinko at about 9-12 psi with spray and have pulled low 1.4 60' with just a very small burn out just to clean the tire off. So if you are spinning with a 1.6 60' then your bike may not be set up right. I think it has more to do with set up then full throttle in your case. I have a friend with an 05 busa and he would spin bad off the line so me being a big show off with my 1.4 60' I said let me on there and I will show how it is done, and needles to say it almost ended up on its side with a 2.2 60'.

(02badbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,12:05) I am 8" over with a Shinko at about 9-12 psi with spray and have pulled low 1.4 60' with just a very small burn out just to clean the tire off. So if you are spinning with a 1.6 60' then your bike may not be set up right. I think it has more to do with set up then full throttle in your case. I have a friend with an 05 busa and he would spin bad off the line so me being a big show off with my 1.4 60' I said let me on there and I will show how it is done, and needles to say it almost ended up on its side with a 2.2 60'.
Did your friends bike have a stock rear arm?

Nop it is about 5.5" over but his rear shock was set up much different. I also think I was about 1.5" lower in the rear.

The facts as I see them. Shinko Ultra Soft needs a good burnout to get it heated 7  or 8 seconds 8 to 15 psi. depending on track. Shinko standard compound moderate burnout 4 to 5 seconds 10 to 14 psi depending on the track.  Mickey Thompson shoot out tire short burn out to 2 to 3 seconds to clean the tire 12 to 16 psi depending on track. Look at the track and watch others run to see where the good line is, DO NOT LINE UP IN THE CENTER OF THE TRACK as it will be slick as snot. Lane choice and line are important to get good launch. Do short burn out with a stock tire to clean it off 3 or 4 seconds so you will not leave dirt, etc on the starting line 18 to 22 psi. Good track manager will not allow foot traffic on the track as simply walking on the race line will leave dirt on the track. A burn out will impress the girls and others will think you know what you are doing. Have fun and be safe.

(02badbusa @ Nov. 29 2006,10:05) I am 8" over with a Shinko at about 9-12 psi with spray and have pulled low 1.4 60' with just a very small burn out just to clean the tire off. So if you are spinning with a 1.6 60' then your bike may not be set up right. I think it has more to do with set up then full throttle in your case. I have a friend with an 05 busa and he would spin bad off the line so me being a big show off with my 1.4 60' I said let me on there and I will show how it is done, and needles to say it almost ended up on its side with a 2.2 60'.
my bike was stosk length and lowered front and rear

(Mr Brown @ Oct. 13 2006,20:12)
(milesbm @ Oct. 13 2006,15:55) I race every weekend and never do a burnout.  A properly preped track with a street tire needs no burnout.  I set the tire at 21-22 psi.  Do a practice launch in front of the waterbox to get to the line and see how traction is.  After that there is no problem.  1.70 60', 6.55 sec at 113mph in the 1/8.  I race et bracket and can be consistent without a burnout.  Just make sure though that if you go through the waterbox, do a burnout.  If you go around it you can do one if you want but don't have to.  Only do what you feel comfortable with and have loads of fun.
Not dissin ya Miles, but what do you think would happen if you dropped 2 or 3 tenths off that short time? I know my bike will not hook unless the Shinko is good and hot, and on the asphalt, forget it. Braket racing is about consistency, not speed.
No offense taken. Every year I get a little better at the short times. The only thing is that I try to do it the same every time and right on the raged edge of spinning wouldn't be good for that.

Also, I have a Metzler Sportec M1. Each tire has a little different characteristic and that will also determine if a burnout is warranted.

Definitely go around the waterbox. You don't have to do a "burnout" in the traditional sense. I would recomend doing a dryhop. Once you get around the water box do a small launch towards the tree just to see if your tire breaks loose.

A small 5 sec burnout has a lot of positives though. First, you don't have to worry about your tire as much as you think you do. Most of the smoke you see is rubber that has already been laid down on the track before you.
That small 5 sec burnout will not heat your tire to any useable degree, but it will clean off any debris and water.
Water on your tires will react in a terrible way with a properly prepped track. VHT when wet is more slick than ice. It gets greasy to some extent.

I normally go around the box and the back up to a point that allows me to be just in front of the water. I will then just turn the tire over a couple rounds. I then pull forward a foot or so and spin the tire to a count of 5. That's basically the point that you will see a little smoke.
After that, get in the groove and let loose.

And tire pressures are important. You don't want to launch with a tire that has 42psi in it. You will basically spin off the line if you get into the throttle.

It sounds like your new to this all. Just get out there and have fun. Learn from the people around you at the track and ask questions.

a true street tire does not need to be HOT to create traction, as someone stated before you will loose traction if you over heat one of these tires. If your tire is clean and you drop your tire pressure until you hook ( i wouldn't go under 15psi on a street tire) you will be fine. I run a Shinko @ between 8 and 12 psi depending on how good the track is prepped, it needs to be hot to stick so a good long burnout is required. I must have made 50 passes on my stock tire when i first purchased the busa in 2003 and did a burnout each time, never noticed alot of wear. My riding style kills tires anyway so it doesn't hurt too much to do a few burnouts.

Back