First time on the track.......Ever

Nah. No strap yet. That's definately next though. To be honest I'm not really sure what rpm I'm launching at. Too busy staring at the tree. Would guess around 6000

Dont worry about your reaction times focus on the bike and your throttle and clutch control...
Remember your reaction time doesnt have any effect on your ET. Your ET starts when you break the beam.
Reaction times, staging etc will come later. There are also practice tree apps that you can practice with while your not riding.
Great improvements!

... then put the bike up into 2nd gear with no weight on the seat and let her rip and sit back on the seat as the tire is spinning and now release the brake and come out of the burnout.

2nd gear? Do most people use 2nd? I assumed I would want to use 1st. I've only been to the track with it one time, and did not burn out at all that trip (was still getting used to the bike). I plan to next trip.

yzguyfl said:
2nd gear? Do most people use 2nd? I assumed I would want to use 1st. I've only been to the track with it one time, and did not burn out at all that trip (was still getting used to the bike). I plan to next trip.

You want to use second gear so you don't heat the clutches up.

Nah. No strap yet. That's definately next though. To be honest I'm not really sure what rpm I'm launching at. Too busy staring at the tree. Would guess around 6000

Definitely get a strap you will love it!! those 60ft's will drop quite a bit.... Try keeping the launch at 4500rpm...

I've done a 10k burnout in 6th gear (by accident) but typically do it in 1st. I spin up to 10k or so to get the tire smoking quickly. Some guys use 2nd gear, I never have. Just don't do a 5k burnout in 1st or you'll be spinning forever to get it heated.

Nice times for your second time out with no strap.

You want to use second gear so you don't heat the clutches up.

Hey, seen you have the lowering links and tripple tree for sale. Im debating on if i want to drop it right now or wait later. I dont think i can use the triple tree with the helibars from what i have read. Is that so? And how does lowering it affect launching in drag racing?

Any advice on feathering the clutch out on Launch. I think i Hesitate because im worried about it coming up. I'm 320lbs so i think that should help on keeping her down. lol

How do you do it?

bigjack7679 said:
Hey, seen you have the lowering links and tripple tree for sale. Im debating on if i want to drop it right now or wait later. I dont think i can use the triple tree with the helibars from what i have read. Is that so? And how does lowering it affect launching in drag racing?

Any advice on feathering the clutch out on Launch. I think i Hesitate because im worried about it coming up. I'm 320lbs so i think that should help on keeping her down. lol

How do you do it?

If you are going to do a lot of drag racing I would go ahead and lower it now. If you lower it, it will lower the center of gravity on the bike and you should be able to launch harder without the front wheel coming up so easily.

As for the helibars not working I'm not for sure if they will or not.

Seat time is where you will end up picking up most of your et because you will get more comfortable launching the bike.

Went ahead and ordered a strap for the front. Then realized it calls for brackets to mount to the calipers. How do you guys mount your straps. Brackets?

Order the Schnitz setup for the GENII Radial Mount Calipers, Brackets and Strap.. Dont go cheap on this setup yes, it cost more then going to Wally World and buying some Chino made strap to have it pop about half way down the track at 110MPH.

I wouldnt worry about doing a burnout with a street tire on a SWB bike at the moment..
Proper way to do a burn out.

Roll back into the water box, backing up into the water as far as you can before the front tire reaches it. (DONT get the front tire wet)
ROLL the bike out of the water box onto dry surface. (Dont spin the tire while in the water box you will only sling water up under your tail section to have it drip while staging)
Click the transmission up into 2nd gear.
Stand up grab the front brake hard in a slight forward body position
Whack the throttle and dump the clutch
Ease the RPMS back down to 7500-8500
Sit on the seat
Roll the bike side to side to heat more of the tread
Let off the front brake
Ease off the gas a little the tire will grab
Roll up and stage.

Back