First time on the track.......Ever

Shaggy

Registered
Well finally got a chance to try out the busa on the track this past weekend. It was an 1/8th mile local track. I had never been down any track before on a motorcycle. I was expecting the track to be extremely sticky and have problems with keeping the front end down but it was the exact opposite. Not sure if it was the heat Saturday night or just a crappy track, but it felt like riding on ice. Every time I twisted the throttle the tire spun and I fishtailed or got sideways even toward the end of the track. I realize I was trying to race with a road tire on a mostly stock 09 but it just felt slow. I couldn't come close to a good launch. Even got sideways "slightly" at start a couple of times. Reaction times were descent I guess ".4-.6". But 60' times stayed around 2 seconds. Slow I know but I plan on practice and a better tire. Times stayed consistently around 7.10 with my best at 6.91 at 113. One day I might get to go fast. Had a blast goin slow

All things considered, that's not bad at all.
Once you learn how to launch and get it to hook your times will increase significantly.
Go to have fun, and it sounds like you did.
Everything else is just a number.:thumbsup:

What tire pressure were you running? Not bad times for being stock length and the more seat time you get the faster you will go.

What tire pressure were you running? Not bad times for being stock length and the more seat time you get the faster you will go.

I forgot to lower the tire pressure for the first pass and was running about 34 pounds. Then gradually reduced to 16

put a skinko stealth out back and get a strap!!

6.91 aint bad at all for your first time out!!

Either you were not in the groove meaning ridjng center of your lane or your local track sux. My 09 wont spin and will carry the front end the 1/8 if i stay in the gas. I dont do a burn out roll out and stage. Are you doing a burn out and possibly slinging water up under your rear undertail causing it to drip on the tire as you stage? Ive seen many make this mistake by doing a burn out wrong in the water box at the dragstrip.

Either you were not in the groove meaning ridjng center of your lane or your local track sux. My 09 wont spin and will carry the front end the 1/8 if i stay in the gas. I dont do a burn out roll out and stage. Are you doing a burn out and possibly slinging water up under your rear undertail causing it to drip on the tire as you stage? Ive seen many make this mistake by doing a burn out wrong in the water box at the dragstrip.

I was riding in the grooves. Actually tried all four(both lanes). I didn't burn out on my first few passes but it was extremely worse. I backed into the water box and spun the tire a couple of revolutions just to get it wet and then pulled out of the box and did my burnout. It helped as much as it could on my stock bridgestone. The track did suck. None of the cars could hook that night either. A new tire is coming next week. Just haven't decided which one. Maybe the shinko. I would just like to find one that will hook and get at least a few miles on the street.

Well I finally made it back to the track. Did a little bit better. There's still a lot of room for improvement though

image-1917010157.png

If your backing into the water box and spinning your street tire your slinging water up under the undertail.
If you insist on doing a burnout, just roll back into the water box and STOPPING before the front tire reaches it, roll back up out of the box and then put the bike up into 2nd gear with no weight on the seat and let her rip and sit back on the seat as the tire is spinning and now release the brake and come out of the burnout.

Most tracks around here wont allow street tires in the waterbox due to most people make this mistake and drag water up out of the box, drip water on the starting line etc. That may help with your erratic spinning with a SWB street bike.

Last edited by a moderator:
teezy said:
Awesome improvements!!!!

shaggy did you get a strap yet? What rpm are you launching at?

Nah. No strap yet. That's definately next though. To be honest I'm not really sure what rpm I'm launching at. Too busy staring at the tree. Would guess around 6000

Back