Track burn out really needed?

bone

Registered
ok, i've never ran a bike on an 1/8 or 1/4 mile track. i'd rather not burn my tire off just to make a couple of fun runs down the track. fact of the matter is i never burned the tires down ever, just kinda skird. is it possible to roll through the water pit to the starting line without having to worry about the water? or should i just do a small burn out to get rid of the water? never done it, just want to ask a stupid question. i've made many launches on the street, that i think are ok, i dont think i need to burn the tire off to have alittle fun at the track. thanks for any advice.

bone

ok, i've never ran a bike on an 1/8 or 1/4 mile track.  i'd rather not burn my tire off just to make a couple of fun runs down the track.  fact of the matter is i never burned the tires down ever,  just kinda skird.  is it possible to roll through the water pit to the starting line without having to worry about the water?  or should i just do a small burn out to get rid of the water?  never done it,  just want to ask a stupid question.  i've made many launches on the street,  that i think are ok,  i dont think i need to burn the tire off to have alittle fun at the track.  thanks for any advice.  

bone
It's part of doing a run...if your not going to heat up your tire, then why
are you going to the track
rock.gif

A burn out is to warm up the tire so you can achieve maximum traction.

all motorsports have a method of warmimg the tires.

I am not an avid drag racer, but I do like to burn off some steam from time to time.

Just roll AROUND not through the water and skip the burnout.

You obviously wont be running low times but you will get to play without burning off your feet.

oh and some of the hard core racers on the board wont understand the my perspective so prepare for a lot of these
rock.gif
laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|heavybusa
Reason for Edit: "forgot something"|1154832130 -->

A burn out is to warm up the tire so you can achieve maximum traction.

all motorsports have a method of warmimg the tires.

I am not an avid drag racer, but I do like to burn off some steam from time to time.

Just roll AROUND not through the water and skip the burnout.

You obviously wont be running low times but you will get to play without burning off your feet.

oh and some of the hard core racers on the board wont understand the my perspective so prepare for a lot of these
rock.gif

laugh.gif
If he is worried about burning up his tire ?

What about the damage he could do to his clutch, all the fuel he is going
to use, and don't forget he might have to brake real hard at the end of the run.

WTF man do it right or don't bother to do it at all
rock.gif

rock.gif

<span style='color:blue'>Skip the burn out if you are just having fun?
rock.gif
If the track is like most, it will have track bite at the start thru the 60' line! With no bars you won't keep the front down anyway, if you really rip on it!!!
</span>
race.gif

dont go thru the water box if you're not going to do a burnout. doing this will cause you to spin off the line and lay your bike down.

personally, i never go thru the waterbox. if im using stock tires i do about a 3-4 sec burnout just to keep from spinning off the line. dont be skirrd. its easy. practice in you driveway
smile.gif

Be careful practicing in driveways and parking lots, there are a lot of loose items that can ruin your day.

If you want to write your name on your nice paved driveway thats fine, but dont throw rocks!
laugh.gif

Launching at the track is just like launching on the street. The difference is HOPEFULLY the track is prepped well and you'll get good traction off the line. I've launched many times with no burnout. i am not a pro and have only achieved a 1.9 60' but I didn't spin and had fun. Burnouts are NOT necessary if you are launching for fun and a re nervous about the outcome. Like everybody else said... stay OUT of the water! Hint... When the middle Yellow light lights up on the tree ... GO! You reactions are not as fast as those lights ;)

A good friend of mine has an 02' GSXR 1K with a 1072 kit and 2 stage turbo (8psi then 16psi when you hit the button) He is dynoed at 376 HP and has only a +4 arm. He never does burnouts at the track. When you go to the track you will notice that the track surface will want to pull your boots off when you are trying to stage, that's how much trackbite they have down. Go around the water and give her hell.

Hint... When the middle Yellow light lights up on the tree ... GO! You reactions are not as fast as those lights ;)
if you follow this advice you will red light way early. practice counting down while waiting in the staging lanes and you'll be alright. def. do a burnout. if no one did a burnout, then goes up to the line. what is that gunna do to the "prepped track," its gunna leave a bunch of dirt and rock. then there is no track bite. there not gunna prep the track after every racer.

I just do a little burnout to clean my tires off. Now if I was racing for some money, I would do a longer one.

Hah, definately alot of opinions on this topic. Personally, I would do a burnout whether I needed one or not just out of habit. However, none of my friends on stock wheelbase bikes do burnouts. They just go around the water and stage up. Drop your tire pressure to like 22 or so and you will be fine.

+1 on the tire psi-makes a much bigger difference for relatively stock bikes than warming up the tire a bit. I say, go AROUND waterbox, pull up n do a quik 3-4 sec burnout and line up. should give you good times with 20-25 psi. just make sure you have a way to re-inflate tire when you're done!
wink.gif

Hah, definately alot of opinions on this topic. Personally, I would do a burnout whether I needed one or not just out of habit. However, none of my friends on stock wheelbase bikes do burnouts. They just go around the water and stage up. Drop your tire pressure to like 22 or so and you will be fine.
i use a shinko and ive broke loose so i would never make a pass without a burnout. i run around 20-21 psi

No need to Burn up a good street tire if your just there to have fun. None. Just keep your tire dry.

I posted this response somewhere before but I can't find it.  

A street tire is not designed to be heated up that much.  In alot of cases you can actually hurt your traction by heating up a street tire, the rubbers gets too hot and gets slippery.  

A drag tire is made of a different compound that gets more sticky when heated.

As others have said, skip the box.  I will do a quick burn not more that 4 or 5 revolutions of the tire to get dust and debris off the tire.  That will do you more good that a "looks awesome, costing you lots of money, smokey burnout".  Even if it is fun.

Don

<!--EDIT|usn04limited
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155263164 -->

i use a shinko and ive broke loose so i would never make a pass without a burnout.  i run around 20-21 psi
I guess it depends on how good of a track you are on too. I am 12 over and run a shinko. I run like 9 psi in my tire and have no problem hooking up with a small burnout. My friends that are stock wheelbase and do no burnout never have a problem with traction.

i use a shinko and ive broke loose so i would never make a pass without a burnout.  i run around 20-21 psi
I guess it depends on how good of a track you are on too. I am 12 over and run a shinko. I run like 9 psi in my tire and have no problem hooking up with a small burnout. My friends that are stock wheelbase and do no burnout never have a problem with traction.
when i was running less psi than 20, i would have problems spinning in first gear trying to get full throttle. i guess if you never get full throttle then you dont have to worry about a burnout.

Back