TPMS - yes, again

CrashTestDanny

Registered
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old topic that met with such controversy the first hundred times, but honestly, if you're trying to avoid controversy, I've found the best way is t stay off the Internet altogether...

Now back to the topic: TPMS... The Gen 3 doesn't come with it apparently, and while I know they will not prevent anything, they sure do make for a more convenient way for a lazy fat kid like myself to check the tires... so, what is the [current] best aftermarket TPMS out there? What do you guys love/hate about your TPMS?

Thanks!
Dan

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old topic that met with such controversy the first hundred times, but honestly, if you're trying to avoid controversy, I've found the best way is t stay off the Internet altogether...

Now back to the topic: TPMS... The Gen 3 doesn't come with it apparently, and while I know they will not prevent anything, they sure do make for a more convenient way for a lazy fat kid like myself to check the tires... so, what is the [current] best aftermarket TPMS out there? What do you guys love/hate about your TPMS?

Thanks!
Dan
I believe @fallenarch has tpms maybe he has some insight

Well a TPMS can actually prevent a problem. For example, 2-3 degrees increase means your tires are warm - great in the winter and really helpful in the rain. They will also let you know when your tire pressure gets a bit too high on those really hot summer days. I once picked up a screw in the sidewall slipping through traffic on the shoulder - TPMS caught the puncture and the drop in pressure even though the tire did not immediately go flat. So it's not all about being lazy.

My first TPMS was one of those ket chain things I got from Pashnit. It was a good price and it worked fine and I put many miles on it. Then I got a new Garmin GPS which has a TPMS integral to it and it's very nice having the warnings right there in front of you. The TPMS is built into the BMW. Frankly, I think you are taking an unnecessary risk riding without one. We all know when you pull off and forget the tires in your preflight you just go on feel!

There are some technical things to know. Don't put the sensors on a straight valve stem. Apparently, their weight will slowly deflate the tires. Get some aluminum 90-degree stems, they are better anyway. Calibrate the sensors (check the pressure with a meter after you get a reading). Sometimes the sensors are pretty far off but that's cool if you know what the actual psi is versus the sensor reading. Funny the ones I got from Pashnit were always spot on and the Garmin ones were off a psi or 2. The batteries last a long time but I carried a set of fresh batteries in my tank bag. Always make sure you put the right cap on the front/rear wheels or the reading will be wrong. I painted a red dot on the rear one so I don't mix them while getting air. Finally, most sensors are turned on by the wheel rotating so I would ride around the block then stop back by and close the garage door, and then I was off.

Some now take temperature too, which is awesome. Thanks for catching this one Dopey!

Well a TPMS can actually prevent a problem. For example, 2-3 degrees increase means your tires are warm - great in the winter and really helpful in the rain. They will also let you know when your tire pressure gets a bit too high on those really hot summer days. I once picked up a screw in the sidewall slipping through traffic on the shoulder - TPMS caught the puncture and the drop in pressure even though the tire did not immediately go flat. So it's not all about being lazy.

My first TPMS was one of those ket chain things I got from Pashnit. It was a good price and it worked fine and I put many miles on it. Then I got a new Garmin GPS which has a TPMS integral to it and it's very nice having the warnings right there in front of you. The TPMS is built into the BMW. Frankly, I think you are taking an unnecessary risk riding without one. We all know when you pull off and forget the tires in your preflight you just go on feel!

There are some technical things to know. Don't put the sensors on a straight valve stem. Apparently, their weight will slowly deflate the tires. Get some aluminum 90-degree stems, they are better anyway. Calibrate the sensors (check the pressure with a meter after you get a reading). Sometimes the sensors are pretty far off but that's cool if you know what the actual psi is versus the sensor reading. Funny the ones I got from Pashnit were always spot on and the Garmin ones were off a psi or 2. The batteries last a long time but I carried a set of fresh batteries in my tank bag. Always make sure you put the right cap on the front/rear wheels or the reading will be wrong. I painted a red dot on the rear one so I don't mix them while getting air. Finally, most sensors are turned on by the wheel rotating so I would ride around the block then stop back by and close the garage door, and then I was off.

Some now take temperature too, which is awesome. Thanks for catching this one Dopey!
Always thought it'd be nice to add to my busa at some point so it stuck in my head that you had it in case needed some info:thumbsup:

Thanks!
Dan
I use Tireguard. Worked well so far. The PSI reading lets me know when I'm good to open full throttle with maximum grip. If I'm not up 3 PSI at least front and rear from my starting cold pressure I know the tires aren't warm enough to grip when I need them the most.

Here we are talking about TPMS and I went out to my truck to go on yet another wife induced errand and my TPMS indicated a low tire...I inflated it to the recommended pressure and as soon as I got to my destination, it came up again saying it was over-pressured...so I let some air out of the tire and the TPMS message went away...

The joys of this system in a changing weather environment where it swings from 12'C to minus temperatures in 12 hrs....

Here we are talking about TPMS and I went out to my truck to go on yet another wife induced errand and my TPMS indicated a low tire...I inflated it to the recommended pressure and as soon as I got to my destination, it came up again saying it was over-pressured...so I let some air out of the tire and the TPMS message went away...

The joys of this system in a changing weather environment where it swings from 12'C to minus temperatures in 12 hrs....
I have a mate with a K1300 Beemer that has TPMS, he is forever worried about his pressures because of the warnings, as you have described, the amount of time wasted at gas stations trying to adjust and get the "correct" pressures just drives me nuts! And then there's the issues with gas station air pressure pumps. They often wont fit or seal on his fancy valve stems on his fancy wheels lol.
He won't forget about it and just ride like us Suzuki boys lol!
We just keep it simple, we check our pressures before the ride, adjust if necessary (usually not) and get out there and have fun!

My car has them and the one before. Living where it’s cold in the winter mine occasionally activate showing low psi. Never did where I lived before. Driving a few miles the warning goes away too but I’ve learned that cold weather does lower the psi in the car tires so I add a lil more in the winter. Both bikes maintain pressure well and lose very little in the cold. In the summer I set the psi and forget it. My old Comstars on the CBXs held pressure very well too. Oh, I never use gas station air hoses. There’s no telling how much water is in their tanks. I have a small electric compressor at home.

My car has them and the one before. Living where it’s cold in the winter mine occasionally activate showing low psi. Never did where I lived before. Driving a few miles the warning goes away too but I’ve learned that cold weather does lower the psi in the car tires so I add a lil more in the winter. Both bikes maintain pressure well and lose very little in the cold. In the summer I set the psi and forget it. My old Comstars on the CBXs held pressure very well too. Oh, I never use gas station air hoses. There’s no telling how much water is in their tanks. I have a small electric compressor at home.
It seems as the sensors age, they act up more. I've replaced the sensors on the winter tires (got them with the car) for my wife's car but her summer tires are the same age and are fine.

I don't have the sensors in the winter tires for my truck...it is kind of a pain as the on board messaging center always flashes low tire pressure but I can scroll out of that screen.

I think they'd drive me nuts on a bike as the psi is always changing with bike tires.

Righto…. I’ll be the white elephant in the room..

what does everyone run for tyre pressure?

:banana::banana::banana::poke::poke::poke:
Depending on the ambient temp. I run 36 cold f/r warms up to 39. If the day is hot I'll start at 35 cold reaching 39 hot. Anything lower than 38-39 hot my front end doesn't respond as quickly as I want at high speed cornering and starts going wide on acceleration. 40 and over tire gets greasy and just let's go. I use 39 hot at the track as well, going in 39 hot. Now that we are near winter I'll start around 33-34 cold warming up to 37-38. No way in hell can I get a tire to warm up to 39 and stay there on these cold days up north. Tire sheds heat quickly regardless of pace. I also have a digital tire inflator, with temperatures constantly changing it would take forever to manage pressures daily with a non digital unit. Performance is always capped by tire pressure. Doesn't matter how good a tire and suspension you have if the pressure is off and not matching the environment you won't get your best performance. Did I mention I love to talk about tire pressure lol.

Depending on the ambient temp. I run 36 cold f/r warms up to 39. If the day is hot I'll start at 35 cold reaching 39 hot. Anything lower than 38-39 hot my front end doesn't respond as quickly as I want at high speed cornering and starts going wide on acceleration. 40 and over tire gets greasy and just let's go. I use 39 hot at the track as well, going in 39 hot. Now that we are near winter I'll start around 33-34 cold warming up to 37-38. No way in hell can I get a tire to warm up to 39 and stay there on these cold days up north. Tire sheds heat quickly regardless of pace. I also have a digital tire inflator, with temperatures constantly changing it would take forever to manage pressures daily with a non digital unit. Performance is always capped by tire pressure. Doesn't matter how good a tire and suspension you have if the pressure is off and not matching the environment you won't get your best performance. Did I mention I love to talk about tire pressure lol.
But..but..but..
What to do when there’s a person on the back? Oh my…
do I need thicker oil and more air pressure And more preload?
too many things to think about,, aghhhh
:D:D:p

I have a mate with a K1300 Beemer that has TPMS, he is forever worried about his pressures because of the warnings, as you have described, the amount of time wasted at gas stations trying to adjust and get the "correct" pressures just drives me nuts! And then there's the issues with gas station air pressure pumps. They often wont fit or seal on his fancy valve stems on his fancy wheels lol.
He won't forget about it and just ride like us Suzuki boys lol!
We just keep it simple, we check our pressures before the ride, adjust if necessary (usually not) and get out there and have fun!
My 2020 BMW's are flawless and user-friendly. Roll the magic dial by the left grip to "bike", hit the up button, and a diagram of the bike displays with the psi clearly marked and easy to read at speed. Also, the sensors are inside the rim and the factory valve stems are 90 degrees. It's super easy to put air in the tire (stems are standard threaded type), and you can't steal the sensor as it's in the wheel. If you have the aluminum wheels (mine are spokes) the stems are on the strut of the wheel, not the rim - genius.

Some older cars like my Honda (2013) check relative pressures between tires and alarm constantly even after adding air. One day I was reading the manual and found out that there is a hidden button under the dash you push to recalibrate the system. Do that and the alarms get manageable. The newer ones like the ones on my Ford are awesome and like the BMW show a diagram.

Back