Knee Draggin REALLY Necessary??

I shift my wieght around alot when in the twisties, but have yet to actually put the knee down to the pavement, nor will I probly ever do so.
rock.gif

Extremely skilled riders can even sometimes save the front from washing with the knee down. Nicky Haden and Greg White were just talking about that on Tuesday.

Title_ga1.jpg

Hawaiibusa, took the plastics off for track day huh? Not a bad idea I guess but you must admit it looks strange.....or maybe cool.

And for the record, I have never touched down either and probably never will. My skills are not at the level where the advantage of doing so is required or necessary. Do it on the street and you are either hanging way too far off or you are riding way too fast and just asking for it (IMHO - in most cases).

Oh who am I kidding, I am just jealous
smile.gif

And yes thongs are necessary on the street and the track (for the ladies of course - you sickos!)

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102614843 -->

there are a few big name racers that dont drag knees.. cant remember their names but if u really need to know i can get the names for ya.

there are a few big name racers that dont drag knees.. cant remember their names but if u really need to know i can get the names for ya.
Don't bother man...I know I'm not one of them...big named that is. It would be interesting to know if they got any ladies though?
wink.gif
and if they did, I bet they were wearing granny panties.
laugh.gif

joyride.gif

Ok big names in racing...

Tommy Hayden
Aaron Gobert
Matt Mladin
Miguel Duhamel
James Toseland
Karl Muggeridge sp?
Valentino Rossi

Forgive me for not knowing the 125 and 250 GP champions.

I would agree that if your dragging knee on the streets your either going to hard or just wanting to put it on the ground.

I won't say knee down in racing is necessary but all the current champions do it. Keeping the bike more upright helps with corner speed. Races are won in the corners, anyone can go fast in a straight line. I will admit that once my knee is down I do try to tuck it in to get it off the ground. The pressure that is on the knee when it hits the ground is how I judge what my corner speed is. The more pressure the faster I am going less pressure means go faster through that turn next time. Now this is just me. I will admit that there are probably as many riding styles as there are riders so what I am doing right or wrong my not be what is working for you. See you guys at the track...:D

Ok big names in racing...

Tommy Hayden
Aaron Gobert
Matt Mladin
Miguel Duhamel
James Toseland
Karl Muggeridge sp?
Valentino Rossi

Forgive me for not knowing the 125 and 250 GP champions.  

I would agree that if your dragging knee on the streets your either going to hard or just wanting to put it on the ground.  

I won't say knee down in racing is necessary but all the current champions do it.  Keeping the bike more upright helps with corner speed.  Races are won in the corners, anyone can go fast in a straight line.  I will admit that once my knee is down I do try to tuck it in to get it off the ground.  The pressure that is on the knee when it hits the ground is how I judge what my corner speed is.  The more pressure the faster I am going less pressure means go faster through that turn next time.  Now this is just me.  I will admit that there are probably as many riding styles as there are riders so what I am doing right or wrong my not be what is working for you.  See you guys at the track...:D
Just one correction to your post dude......third paragraph change "anyone" to "any monkey". thank you.
jump9.gif

Busagod, that is some sweet war paint. Out of curiosity, what's the ballpark range of the $ on that scooter?

So that settles it, my buddy was right. By the way, the two times my knee (left) went down was less of a drag than more of scrape. I took the peg feelers off prior. Wasn't in the moderate curve long enough to sustain it and really drag. Plus I was hanging way too far out on the inside and I was way too close to running off the road on the inside!

Lesson nearly learned! Thanks for the input all. By the way, despite what some of you said about it being cool riding in the rain. Try doing it for about 65 miles! I did this last Sunday back from Oxnard to home (SE of Pasadena), and it SUCKed! Barely made it home in one piece, saw two accidents. Leathers are drenched. Another topic for another post.

smile.gif
 Why Yeah it does actually...  I feel right at home...  
thumbs-up.gif
 Besides, I personally have saved my Busa twice from going down in a corner.  Once the front washed out and I went down on my knee and just hoisted her RIGHT BACK UP!!!  Really!!!     The other time I was on an onramp, and both the front and rear washed on me but I was able to use my left Hand to to push off the asphalt...  What?  Really!  
sad.gif
I remember it clearly....
That second time was when I had to jump my Busa over you!

thumbs-up.gif

wink.gif

pirate.gif

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1160"|1102698558 -->

thumbs-up.gif

smile.gif
thumbs-up.gif
 Besides, I personally have saved my Busa twice from going down in a corner.  Once the front washed out and I went down on my knee and just hoisted her RIGHT BACK UP!!!  Really!!!     The other time I was on an onramp, and both the front and rear washed on me but I was able to use my left Hand to to push off the asphalt...  What?  Really!  
sad.gif
Ok what are you smoking?

First you say no one is musculing it back up, then you say you did it.

Whatever Rev, it's your story...
40__s.gif
all_coholic.gif
drink.gif
drinka.gif

poke.gif
face7.gif
tounge.gif

smile.gif
thumbs-up.gif
sad.gif
Ok what are you smoking?

First you say no one is musculing it back up, then you say you did it.  

Whatever Rev, it's your story...   
drinka.gif

poke.gif

face7.gif

tounge.gif
Actually your right, I said it... Usually Though I just wrap a strip of leather around my johnson and use that to Muscle the bike off the asphalt.  IT's a great way to both impress the ladies and increase your stamina.  Makes it easier at lights too...  No need to put my feet down, I just use it as a kickstand.  
rock.gif

Oh and Raider did have to actually go airborne to avoid the Bike and me as I slid...  I didn't even know you could Bunny hop a busa like that...  Damndest thing...

Oh and dude...  You'll never save a Busa with your knee...  Nor will YOU save it with your Willy.  I however have a professionally trained "Stunt" Johnson and he is well suited to this kinda work...    

It to me has become somewhat necesary. It's a confusing topic.

Dragging a knee is not directly porportional to speed, or going fast. Therefore not necesary. But, I have found that the faster you get the more you must lean in the curves. The more your bike leans the more you rely on your tires. Hanging off allows you to go faster without as much lean angle, allowing fatser turns, and stronger drives out of the corners. So how much is too much? Good question. But your knee should hit the ground before your peg does.

At the track it seems I get the fastest curves with my butt crack on the edge of the seat and my line of sight, looking through the mirror. Get down there.

Back to the isiit necesary? If you find yourself easily dragging knees and parts, but feel like you are not going that fast, focus on improving your lines.

Here is an interesting pic. There are a ton of ways to lean. I think the top right and lower left should be combined for great form..

<!--EDIT|Ononewheel
Reason for Edit: None given...|1102952891 -->

knee.jpg

Hi all I am a wannabe Hayabusa owner that has been lurking here for a while. Will soon be retiring my trusty Bandit and picking up my new machine (I can't wait). Anyway onto the topic I have been riding for 25 years, scraped all sorts of parts on the road, shred my tyres right to the edge and never put my knee down. Sometimes use the edge of my boot to find the road and also shift my weight to reduce bank angle. The roads I ride on have all sorts of lumps, bumps and grooves and I reckon I would risk getting "Kneecapped" if I were in the habit of draggin me knee on the road. Though I will admit it looks real cool in all those bike mag pickys with bike journo's  dragging their knees on race tracks during photo shoots and there is also plenty of evidence out there on the race circuits to prove that it is beneficial on a race track though I doubt its worth on a road riding a sports bike.

Draggin knee on the street is crazy!! Make sure your health insurance is paid up.

I drug a knee once on the street, and not in a curve.

It happened instantly when this biyatch hitme on the left knee forcing me to lose control and put my right knee and the bike onto te pavement, follwed by a roll of about 50-75 feet.

Every since then I have not thought about my knee or any other part of my body dragging on the ground.

Back