TRE!  Yes Again

super851

Registered
Sorry guys I could not find my answer when I did a search on this topic so I'm thinking that they question was not asked so here it goes:

I have a ATRE, you know the programmable one, my question is since I'm running a PCII (2001 Busa) and a ATRE what do the ECU listens to and do they cancel each other out. The reason that I ask this is the following:

1.) Since the (A)TRE makes the bike think that it is in 5th gear so that it can bypass the limiter how does the PCII know what to do?

2.) And if the (A)TRE has the last say on the mapping to the ECU then how does the PCII fit in.

3.) Do the (A)TRE and PCII cancel each other out?

I have the HMF high mounts dual with a BMC race air filter and my bike still appears to be running rich. Finger in the exhaust. Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for everything.

Well for a better answer someone else jump in here....BUT HERE IT GOES!

On the 2001 & up as you know Suz restricted the bikes electronicly.

Suzuki has created separate ignition maps for each gear. This has been done for either safety (wheelie/wheelspin control) and/or emission control reasons.

Your bikes ECU (computer) changes the ignition advance depending on what gear you are in.

The ECU gets a signal from a sensor on the bike called the Gear Position Switch (GPS) Each gear has a resistance associated with it. The ECU sees the voltage drop across the resistance and determines when to retard the bikes ignition based on the voltage drop. The Resistances and Voltages are approximated below.

The TRE tricks the ECU into thinking it is in 5th, or 4th depending on which one you use, gear all the time. Same for the speed restrictor.

Gear Resistance Voltage Drop
1 ~567 Ω 1.8v

Neutral Open 5.08v
2 ~827 Ω 2.26v
3 ~1500 Ω 2.99v
4 ~2700 Ω 3.68v
5 ~6800 Ω 4.38v
6 ~15000 Ω 4.70v

The computer kicks in a rev limiter in 6th gear to restrict top speed. Again, with the TRE, the computer never knows it is in 6th gear so the limiter never kicks in.

This form of engine management limits the power output and unfortunately, the smoothness of your bike in the first ½ turn of the throttle in gears one through to four, while maintaining optimal ignition timing at full throttle.

As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the ingnition advance curve decreases, until you make it into fifth gear and then it's gone. After installing the TRE, gear changing and engine response will become much smoother at lower throttle positions.

SO......

The PCII uses and controls different combinations of fuel, air, and ignition curves. The result: Total, complete and always up-to-date engine management for crisp throttle response, more horsepower, better ridability, and improved fuel mileage.

PC has nothing to do with the gear position sensor or ECU readings of the gear position sensor. They actually dont have much to do with each other but if your tuning your bike tune it with them both in/on if your going to use it. They kinda compliment each other depending on what your using it for.

So people swear by them some say if it's tuned right you dont need it. Tuning with a power commander will not remove the limiter restrictions!

Hope this confusing mess helps your question.

ICE

TRE's do not really exist. They are a figment of our imagination!!!
laugh.gif
But I still have one though!!!
cool.gif

Oh, I have a 2001 with the ATRE and a PCII, full hindle system, Yosh cams, pair mod, K&N filter and small box mod. 180HP on a stock strong motor.

I have what I think is a "PERFECT" tuned by Joe Morosko?, With out the ATRE on/plugged in I still am limited at 186 at top end and it still runs a little rough at the 4500 mark in 1-3 with a great tune. We tried tuning with the ATRE in and again with it out. Dyno results were about the same in HP however it ran faster in speed and smoother in the low/mid range area. Also appeared easier to tune/level out!

ICE

Thanks Ice, hey that's my dj name! LOL So to sum it upI have nothing to worry about so far as either unit canceling the other? But I'm still wondering why my bike (from the finger in the exhaust only and not the plug color) appears to be running rich?
rock.gif

What's a TRE?
rock.gif
And why the hell is this dude finger his bikes exhaust? WHat? You some kinda Moto Proctologist?

so I stick my finger up my pipe and sniff...hmmmmmm...........smells kinda rich!!!!! Can a TRE fix that?
rock.gif
 hehehehehehehe
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
yeah yeah...I know.....Gross!!!

laugh.gif

Has your ECU ever been tuned before you got the Power commander? Alot of shops that put exhaust systems on when no powercommander is present will go in and "TUNE" or adjust the bikes ECU using something like a yosh box.

When I first got my hindle system put on the ECU was changed to +5+5+5 settings on the three available settings. When I got the power commander my bike was running super rich until I reset the ECU back to 0,0,0. Then the power commander was able to do it's job correctly. As far as the (A)TRE wouldnt affect richness or your manhood.

ICE

As far as the (A)TRE wouldnt affect richness or your manhood.
ICE,
I wonder if it would affect your mixture for low speed driving? If it is using a 5th gear map for all gears, maybe could run richer in lower gears do to the ECU's upper gear maps taking the ram air into account? Lower speed, less air box pressure, with a map intended for use in the opposite. Just a thought...
rock.gif

Thanks Ice for the info and to the rest of you you are some sick puppies:D
laugh.gif

And no I've never had my ecu tuned, how would you check the settings?

Sorry guys I could not find my answer when I did a search on this topic so I'm thinking that they question was not asked so here it goes:

I have a ATRE, you know the programmable one, my question is since I'm running a PCII (2001 Busa)  and a ATRE what do the ECU listens to and do they cancel each other out.  The reason that I ask this is the following:

1.)  Since the (A)TRE makes the bike think that it is in 5th gear so that it can bypass the limiter how does the PCII know what to do?

2.)  And if the (A)TRE has the last say on the mapping to the ECU then how does the PCII fit in.

3.)  Do the (A)TRE and PCII cancel each other out?

I have the HMF high mounts dual with a BMC race air filter and my bike still appears to be running rich.  Finger in the exhaust.  Any and all comments and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for everything.
They do not cancel each other out. First off, they are on different wiring harnesses. The ATRE will affect the timing in lower gears. The PC II adjusts the fuel mapping in a gear independant method. In the end, your ATRE will advance the timing in low gear situations, the PC II will adjust the mix, and everyone is happy.

As far as the (A)TRE wouldnt affect richness or your manhood.
ICE,
I wonder if it would affect your mixture for low speed driving? If it is using a 5th gear map for all gears, maybe could run richer in lower gears do to the ECU's upper gear maps taking the ram air into account? Lower speed, less air box pressure, with a map intended for use in the opposite. Just a thought...
rock.gif
BUT, Taking the flapper valves off compansate for it as well in some manner?

Back