New Touring Gear

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
Well I have been thinking about updating my GPS setup for about a year. My touring essentials are a GPS, TPMS, Radar and phone. Shawn's NUVIZ post had me thinking, but decided to go with the Garmin again.

One thing I hate is that there is no air temp on the Busa. I currently use a digital battery powered amb air thermometer to know when the temp makes that critical drop from 41 to sub-39 degrees. Anyway, The Garmin 595LM has TPMS, traffic, adventure routes, and even the ability to connect to a backup camera. But after fumbling through the box and an hour of googling, the 595LM doesn't do temperatures either. SOB! I hate having a bunch of single function battery charged crap hanging off the bars, guess I'll have to learn to live with the temp gauge a little while longer. At least I can get rid of the TPMS.

I have a lot of problems with my phone nav going dead on me and have had to use GPS so I finally just admitted that the dedicated GPS is the most stable option (I'm sure many will disagree). Not sure why this is, but I still think there is something going on with the naval air station because I get some really weird and spotty outages and I'm stuck with AT&T, Verizon is the best in this area apparently. Besides, the Garmin is really great and I have really learned to love it over the years. I'm sure there are great apps out there I haven't tried, but I just think the Garmin is a real rider aid that's rock solid dependable. I can also save my old routes onto the new GPS. Some of these routes are so out of the way that when you come back to them they look totally different. On top of that they can be confusing depending on whether there is corn or beans in the fields.

Ordered from Amazon using Amex points (funny that's how I bought my last one). It showed up in 2 days. However it only had on TPMS sender unit, so I'll need to get them to send another. Anyway thinking about a new mounting location. Current I'm using a SW Motech mount that is on the triple clamp but faces the GPS up, where the sun makes looking at the display all but impossible. I don't look at it anyway while riding, just listen to the commands through the SENA 20S. We'll see.

Anyway, I'll post my impressions when I get to use everything in a couple weeks!

That Garmin is not quite my thing but I am with you on the need/desire for a temp gauge as well as a voltmeter in my case. I looked at several turnkey solutions but nothing was blowing my skirt up, so earlier this year I designed myself a mount to put dedicated volt and temp gauges above the stock instrument cluster. It would use Murata industrial gauges for durability, and I will just 3d print the housing. tried to match the curvature of the stock cluster so it would just be double sided tape mounted. Winter project I think.

guage pod.JPG

I'd be all over that bigs! You work that up this winter, and I'll have the cash waiting. :super:

I currently run a garmin also, via ram mount. It is hard to see during the day. But like you, I just listen through my headset.

Back