TPMS - yes, again

My 2020 BMW's are flawless and user-friendly. Roll the magic dial by the left grip to "bike", hit the up button, and a diagram of the bike displays with the psi clearly marked and easy to read at speed. Also, the sensors are inside the rim and the factory valve stems are 90 degrees. It's super easy to put air in the tire (stems are standard threaded type), and you can't steal the sensor as it's in the wheel. If you have the aluminum wheels (mine are spokes) the stems are on the strut of the wheel, not the rim - genius.

Some older cars like my Honda (2013) check relative pressures between tires and alarm constantly even after adding air. One day I was reading the manual and found out that there is a hidden button under the dash you push to recalibrate the system. Do that and the alarms get manageable. The newer ones like the ones on my Ford are awesome and like the BMW show a diagram.
My Ram shows which tire is low (or high) and is pretty easy to sort out although in 5 yrs it has only indicated once (the other day). The Ram indicates in Kilopascals instead of PSI, I have yet to find out how to change that as the gauge I have registers in PSI.

I think it might be the sudden change in ambient outside temperature which affects them most, the transition to cold makes them act up sometimes.

I've had the SmartTire system on my ST1300 since 2005 and have not had to replace a sensor or even a sensor battery. Very surprising longevity - I really didn't expect more than two years, much less 16. I try to run 42/42 cold, but I'm not going to stop and fix any variance of 3psi or less so that really works out to 39-45. I've ridden the ST with tires as low as 32!! and that really sucked, but I can't tell the difference between 37 and 42.

I've had the SmartTire system on my ST1300 since 2005 and have not had to replace a sensor or even a sensor battery. Very surprising longevity - I really didn't expect more than two years, much less 16. I try to run 42/42 cold, but I'm not going to stop and fix any variance of 3psi or less so that really works out to 39-45. I've ridden the ST with tires as low as 32!! and that really sucked, but I can't tell the difference between 37 and 42.
Have you verified that the sensor pressure is the same as tire gauge pressure? I run these on my tractor as well and was wondering why my rear tire pressure never changed. Censor battery died and the monitor just kept showing me the last pressure it recorded. Needless to say actual pressure was way off lol.

Have you verified that the sensor pressure is the same as tire gauge pressure? I run these on my tractor as well and was wondering why my rear tire pressure never changed. Censor battery died and the monitor just kept showing me the last pressure it recorded. Needless to say actual pressure was way off lol.
That's a dirty trick! That never occurred to me. The BMW shows a weak signal though.

Depending on the ambient temp. I run 36 cold f/r warms up to 39. If the day is hot I'll start at 35 cold reaching 39 hot. Anything lower than 38-39 hot my front end doesn't respond as quickly as I want at high speed cornering and starts going wide on acceleration. 40 and over tire gets greasy and just let's go. I use 39 hot at the track as well, going in 39 hot. Now that we are near winter I'll start around 33-34 cold warming up to 37-38. No way in hell can I get a tire to warm up to 39 and stay there on these cold days up north. Tire sheds heat quickly regardless of pace. I also have a digital tire inflator, with temperatures constantly changing it would take forever to manage pressures daily with a non digital unit. Performance is always capped by tire pressure. Doesn't matter how good a tire and suspension you have if the pressure is off and not matching the environment you won't get your best performance. Did I mention I love to talk about tire pressure lol.
If I may Zee, how much do you weigh, which tires are you running and what temps do you normally get?
Also does anyone know of any elegant, accurate in tire systems that have a stand alone display with temp and pressure?
What are peoples favorite hand held IR thermometers or do you just use your phones these days?

Last edited:
Back