Knee Draggin REALLY Necessary??

Draggin knee on the street is crazy!!  Make sure your health insurance is paid up.

Amen to that.  There are a few roads I wouldn't mind dragging through, but I gotta tell ya that unless it was a LOW speed (like under 50mph) corner I wouldn't even consider it. On the street I worry about stupid stuff like "It is 6AM, I wonder if the night's moisture has dried up around this corner."

That being said, I haven't even BEEN to the track yet and hope to go to Keith Code's track school at some point in the future.

Rev - I think you may need a bright red strobe that says "SARCASM" for some of your posts.  Otherwise I fear the delicate nuance of your prose will be lost to indelicate ears.  Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go do C*ck Pushups (with thanks to Tenacious D)

Yeah Poole, I sorta noticed, But I think my BIG Johnson Post squared that away...
smile.gif

I hope knee draggings isn't absolutely necessary. I've touched my knee down ONCE in my first two track days. I went to the track yesterday and got a lot of one on one instruction from on of the track instructors. I had my front wheel glued to his rear wheel and he was dragging knee through almost every corner while I didn't touch down once. He followed me for a few laps and said my form was great and not to worry about the knee as long as I was doing things right and I was comfortable.

Jennings.jpg

What track were you at man? I didn't know there was anything close! You been holding out?
laugh.gif

Roger that, Jennings is half a day away from here. One of these days I want to go up there, probably the first few times as a spectator. Eventually I'll work up the courage to go out myself - but first I think I'll get familiar with the whole routine first. If anyone is heading up there and doesn't mind me tagging along ping me - I'll drive the truck up, so I can take gear, etc.

I actually watch Mick Doohan save a lowside with his knee.

He was taking a slower left hander...  Knee down, off the bike and all.
The front slide out.  Bike started to fall on the track...
Scraped his fairings, front tire lost contact with the track.
He shoved his knee down, pushed the bike back up on the tire and actually  pulled it off.  He went off of the track in the sand, one two wheels, but didn't wreck.  
Was a sweet save!
I tried to do that once while low-siding... Turned my low-side into a high-side and I busted up my ankle, knee, hip, elbow, and thumb!

OUCH!

I guess it pay to have SERIOUS experience!

On to the knee down thingy. You don't need it down on the street. But, it does look COo.oOL. And, if you get leather sliders, they are even cooler, because they smoke and smell like burning flesh!

That'll freak the guy behind you out on the street!

(:

Everyone talking about it being a gauge is correct. And, you can gauge with a very light touch which save the pucks for FAR longer than if you push the knee against the surface.

Rev is right about the LEO... If you are looking to get busted, hang-off and drag a knee.

I have found that (except when riding with Ben who happens to be the fastest MF I have ever ridden with), you don't even need to hang-off. I can take a turn on the street sitting upright on the bike as fast as my punk-assed buddies on their 600's when they are leaning off.

Go figure.

If you really wanna learn (and have a challenge) stay upright and learn how far the busa REALLY will lean over. I bet it is further than most of you are willing to go.

-Rip

What track were you at man? I didn't know there was anything close! You been holding out?
laugh.gif
As stated above, it was at JenningsGP on Monday. Its only a 3-3.5 hour drive from here. You should really make a trip up there Rev. Don't know if you've ever been on the track, but its a mind blowing experience in my opinion. Street Knights is planning a March track day I think.

What track were you at man?  I didn't know there was anything close!  You been holding out?
laugh.gif
As stated above, it was at JenningsGP on Monday.  Its only a 3-3.5 hour drive from here.  You should really make a trip up there Rev.  Don't know if you've ever been on the track, but its a mind blowing experience in my opinion.  Street Knights is planning a March track day I think.
R00K, don't kid yourself I bet rev's past over a good many of tracks.......even when the crossing arm was down.
jump9.gif

laugh.gif
As stated above, it was at JenningsGP on Monday. Its only a 3-3.5 hour drive from here. You should really make a trip up there Rev. Don't know if you've ever been on the track, but its a mind blowing experience in my opinion. Street Knights is planning a March track day I think.
R00K, don't kid yourself I bet rev's past over a good many of tracks.......even when the crossing arm was down.
jump9.gif
laugh.gif
I'm sure that would be an eye opening experience too

laugh.gif

What track were you at man?  I didn't know there was anything close!  You been holding out?
laugh.gif
As stated above, it was at JenningsGP on Monday.  Its only a 3-3.5 hour drive from here.  You should really make a trip up there Rev.  Don't know if you've ever been on the track, but its a mind blowing experience in my opinion.  Street Knights is planning a March track day I think.
jump9.gif
Actaully Since I am on a Bus, I allways roll to a complete stop at the Tracks and do the Bustop while pretending to listen for a train....
smile.gif

R1... If I weren't so Skeered of damaging Lilah I would have already gone. I keep waiting for things to settle down so I can Get me a track bike, sounds like a cop-out I know, but I went and fell in Love with this damn Busa and now I find myself always worrying about chipped paint, or worse making her all crunchy... It's prolly a good thing really, keeps me ridding within myself 90% of time...

Yo R1rookie

I dont know if we chatted yet. Do you loaf at the r1-forum?
Yep, more than here at least.
Thats cool. You go by the same name there? I go by "Jeff".

YOou going to the Deals gap convention in June?
Doubtful on the Deals Gap convention for a couple of reasons. I'm riding less and less on the streets and trying to do more track days in the next few months. I also graduate from school in May and will be starting a new job and I'm already going to the MotoGP race at Leguna Seca in July.

Another interesting Pic I found layin around. Just shows a couple of different riding positions.

That is me on the right. And a friend on the left. He is significantly faster than I. The two pics are from the same day, same angle same turn and what not. He has been an nsr racer for years, and is kind enough to share some of his skills with us who need it.

Not only is he hanging much lower than I here, he is taking a smoother line, alloweing for a faster turn.

compoare.JPG

Back