To turbo or not to turbo, please read.

V8N3T

More mods plz..
Donating Member
Registered
Hi there, ive been reading about turbo's and am saving up for some future mod's I would like to do. As the military dosent pay to well, it may be awhile

But heres the deal, I live out here in San Diego, CA and traffic around here can be Horrible. And my bike "2004 Blue/Silver Busa" is my primary mode of transportation. Would it be wise to throw a turbo on it? Considering having to sit and idle in traffic sometimes, any stock busa with synthetic in it will start to overheat at about 3-5mins of idle time.

So Ive been thinking of not getting it, and just throwing the full blown yoshi exaust on it with some other mods. What do you all think? Ty for your help btw.

For your temp problems, you need to hook up a toggle switch to your fan temp switch on the left side of your radiater. Turning the fan on before it gets hot will keep it cool a lot longer. Also you need to run something like engine ice or water wetter and water will make it run a lot cooler.
The turbo, setup right will make no more temps in regular driving then being stock. Your bike is so lean now stock at idle that it will make it run hotter. A good turbo system setup and tuned correctly will run like a stocker for thousands of miles without troubles.

-

<!--EDIT|TurboProstreet
Reason for Edit: "Just for fun!"|1155426821 -->

ahh, thanks a bunch. I talked to a guy earlier on the phone about getting one setup for around 5,500 - 6,500 tops with labor included. So he told me about the switch and stuff also. Thanks for the help.

off boost, there is no additional heat vs a stock motor. It will run just as hot as before crawling through traffic.

With boost, you generate more heat, but most street machines just don't see much boost use, because you're breaking the sound barrier in about .3 seconds and its time to let off to prevent rearending a car or losing your license. Due to this, your stock system will work fine.

from the stock 154hp, how much does the boost put the hp up to? And how much torque? I know ive got alot of questions but I would like to get some feedback on people that have them/ work with them.

Depends on which system you install...A velocity stage 1 6pds 250hp/8pds 280hp...If you go with a system that lowers the compression then the hp decreases...

<!--EDIT|STUNNAH
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155452424 -->

Most systems tuned right will make from 240-280 depending on boost amount and the bike.
I recommend an RCC stage 1 system of the base systems. The lines and fittings are precut and ready to install. There won't be several 90 degree fittings in the fuel system, and the fuel system runs straight from the fuel pump to the fuel injector rail instead of getting it's fuel from "T" fitting. The key to any of the systems is after install, go DIRECTLY to a dyno tuner and get the fuel checked and setup on the dyno for best drivability and PROPER FUELING UNDER BOOST. never ever put in a map that comes with any kit and call it a day. Ever bike is different and needs different fueling. This is paramount unless you want to repair your motor.
Second thing, you can run up to 8-9 PSI with a stock motor on pump gas for thousands of miles with no problems IF the fueling is setup correct. BUT just remember this is not an intercooled Bonneville system. It's not designed for you to top end run the bike all the time, your just looking for a guaranteed meltdown.

-

<!--EDIT|TurboProstreet
Reason for Edit: "additions"|1155477453 -->

Hi there, ive been reading about turbo's and am saving up for some future mod's I would like to do. As the military dosent pay to well, it may be awhile

But heres the deal, I live out here in San Diego, CA and traffic around here can be Horrible. And my bike "2004 Blue/Silver Busa" is my primary mode of transportation. Would it be wise to throw a turbo on it? Considering having to sit and idle in traffic sometimes, any stock busa with synthetic in it will start to overheat at about 3-5mins of idle time.

So Ive been thinking of not getting it, and just throwing the full blown yoshi exaust on it with some other mods. What do you all think? Ty for your help btw.
If your bike is your primary mode of transportation I would say no to any major upgrade...If your looking for a bit of sound and a little more power just swap sprockets and install a slip on's...Should be able to do that at about $400...Ride and be happy...I remember how military pay sucked...

well after reading into this a little more ive decided not to blow the 6,500$ on getting a turbo setup and installed. Ive read they require a little more maintenance than a stock busa. Not any crazy maintenance but more than I can afford on top of the total bill. So Im just gonna go with some Broc G3 exaust for the meantime, and get some new sprocks like you sujusted and a PC3. Thank you for your help every one.
Ps, This forum rocks.

you won't be dissapointed in the bde gen 3. great system.
cool.gif

If your bike is your primary mode of transportation I would say no to any major upgrade...If your looking for a bit of sound and a little more power just swap sprockets and install a slip on's...Should be able to do that at about $400...Ride and be happy...I remember how military pay sucked...
I agree with Stunnah on this one. If you use your bike for transportation don't do a TURBO. Keep the bike some what stock for reliability. Also traffic with a turbo (heat wise can be taken care of) is not great to ride. I leave in CTY. open roads adn Miami. Miami sucks for traffic sit and move sit and move. Turbo works best with open roads, like your desert roads.

Back