Chill Factory Turbo

Krieg

Donating Member
Registered
Ok so I am starting to investigate a turbo for my '03' and after reading some of the posts here I find myself wanting some more info on a turbo system mentioned in one post, the Chill Factory System.

http://www.chillfactory.us/

So being new to turbos I would like to get some input from the turbo veterens on this board about the pros and cons of this turbo system.

Could you take a look at their site above and read through the contents of the kit and give me some insight?

Does it has everything necessary to make a good working system?

Will it require engine mods or will it really be a one hour bolt on application?

What is the sound level of a Turbo system?

Any other thoughts?

I have been looking enough to know that there is no way for me to afford some of the other systems out there and this is really near the limit of what I would considder spending. If I do go to a turbo I want it to be reliable though and would rather wait than buy something that wont last. I really appreciate any help you can give me on this.

Chill must be a newbie to the bike boost market.....first I've heard of em.
Personally I'm partial to Motorheads Ghetto kit.
Dennis stands behind his products

I was at sh.org looking for some info on the ghetto kit. I haven't read the whole board yet but have not been able to find info on the contents of the kit yet. Can you give me an idea of what is included? Have you ran one or saw one ran?

Do you need the pipe performance wise or is it a noise ordinance thing?

Noise and looks.
Kinda looks more like a stock Busa with the pipe.......nice idea to hide the bikes potential a bit.....will get ya more races.
People see them dumps, and they won't even bother.
Oh yeah....just for clarification, I don't own one yet......planned for this winter....don't want my bike down for riding season!!
Here's what I have based my decision on
I've lived in the turbo section of SH and every other site I can find info on for the last year and a half.. absorbing all the info I can, and have talked to many turbo owners about there likes and dislikes......I base my decision on quality....owner satisfaction.....price.....and the fact that Dennis is a really good dude, and stands behind his products.
I have heard only one complaint about the kit, and it was due to a mistake during the install (customer install).,,,minor problem though.....melted hose!!
So......I can only tell you what I know from what I've heard from others.
Hoe it helps a bit
In the end....make sure you research the kits yourself, for your own peace of mind!!!
Good luck
Bill

Thanks for your help and I definately will, and am, doing the research. My decision is going to be largly based on "bang for the buck" theory as I do not want 500+ HP on a street bike or want to spend $10,000. I am looking for a nice rideable, adjustable 200 to 275 HP.

Thanks for your help and I definately will, and am, doing the research. My decision is going to be largly based on "bang for the buck" theory as I do not want 500+ HP on a street bike or want to spend $10,000. I am looking for a nice rideable, adjustable 200 to 275 HP.
Same as me...lookin for about 275....seen a dyno chart with the 5th injector mod on his kit make well over 300hp.
Bang for the buck is deffinately there!!

You guys need to check with NL and see if their basekit is ready. If it is it will be a very good unit. If not THEMotorHEAD has a great kit. Crappy name but good kit.

I am waiting for a reply from NLR too N.E.. Definately going to investigate all my options.
biggrin.gif

Got a reply from NLR and they are telling me their base kits will be ready in two weeks and will cost $5000 to $5500.

N.E. the question I have now is what exactly would you be getting in the NLR kit that would justify the additional $1200 to $1500? Are there upgrades here I am not seeing or is this just a name=price thing?

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086189033 -->

Got a reply from NLR and they are telling me their base kits will be ready in two weeks and will cost $5000 to $5500.

N.E. the question I have now is what exactly would you be getting in the NLR kit that would justify the additional $1200 to $1500? Are there upgrades here I am not seeing or is this just a name=price thing?
Best is to compare side by side wit each. Have each mfg. give you what is included. By the tie you ad or subract i think you will find that they are not much difference in cost except for the bottome of the ladder.

As far as NLR it is not just a name thing. They have extremely good service and some of the best construction I have seen on a system. When I put in a new system it will be one of the NLR systems most likely. Other systms are good also like said. Go through what each offes line item by line item. Ask each one directly what you get. Once you do that we would be able to help to take a look.

I just got home and can finally give you all some real input from the Chill Factory Turbo system. I received a few e-mails asking, and I appologize for not getting back in time. It's too late to send private posts, so I will tell all right here. I own a 2003 40th anniversary edition Busa all stock except for Gafner steel lines in front, rear lowering links,and Power Commander IIIr. The Chill Factory turbo takes about a week to install with the supplied dump pipe (which I highly reccomend). The dump pipe is not that loud! It growls lower and sharper and people know your coming, but not like a straight pipe from the engine- add an exhaust and you will lose considerable power and gain weight. Chill Factory did something right in their design- You can visit this link: http://p090.ezboard.com/fazbiketechfrm30 and see the notes on the install from Walter Sprout the guru of Dynos! at ECS Dyno in Mesa, AZ. He really is the best. The intake and fuel rail are highly polished and the dump pipe is a beautiful slash-pipe. Everything is show quality!
Now for the important stuff: Last dyno with stock engine, Power Commander IIIr, dump pipe, and of course the Chill Factory Turbo set at 7.5-8lbs. Max Power- 288.7 Max torque-149. with 21 lbs of boost you could go over 400 RWHP easily (with stronger internals) Very smooth to ride, instant power (at about 2,500 rpm)-no lag. The only problem was a clogged fuel pressure regulator which was caused by having a steel rod instead of a nylon rod installed in the regulator. They fixed the problem immediately. Customer service at Chill Factory is incredible! They will walk you through any problem and answer any question. Very nice people! I highly reccomend for $3,800 (not including install and tune)
jump9.gif
AAAssjani.gif

The quality on their fuel rail is very nice. Their choice of using a internal gate for their turbo makes for pain down the road but looks pretty decent.

Pretty linear power response. Was that using stock injectors?

The quality on their fuel rail is very nice.  Their choice of using a internal gate for their turbo makes for pain down the road but looks pretty decent.

Pretty linear power response.  Was that using stock injectors?
What "pain" does using an internal gate cause down the road and why? Is this only a problem if one decides to alter the origional system for more power later on?

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086210504 -->

I just got home and can finally give you all some real input from the Chill Factory Turbo system.  I received a few e-mails asking, and I appologize for not getting back in time.  It's too late to send private posts, so I will tell all right here.  I own a 2003 40th anniversary edition Busa all stock except for Gafner steel lines in front, rear lowering links,and Power Commander IIIr.  The Chill Factory turbo takes about a week to install with the supplied dump pipe (which I highly reccomend).  The dump pipe is not that loud!  It growls lower and sharper and people know your coming, but not like a straight pipe from the engine- add an exhaust and you will lose considerable power and gain weight.  Chill Factory did something right in their design- You can visit this link:  http://p090.ezboard.com/fazbiketechfrm30 and see the notes on the install from Walter Sprout the guru of Dynos! at ECS Dyno in Mesa, AZ. He really is the best.  The intake and fuel rail are highly polished and the dump pipe is a beautiful slash-pipe.  Everything is show quality!
      Now for the important stuff:  Last dyno with stock engine, Power Commander IIIr, dump pipe, and of course the Chill Factory Turbo set at 7.5-8lbs.  Max Power- 288.7  Max torque-149. with 21 lbs of boost you could go over 400 RWHP easily (with stronger internals) Very smooth to ride, instant power (at about 2,500 rpm)-no lag.  The only problem was a clogged fuel pressure regulator which was caused by having a steel rod instead of a nylon rod installed in the regulator.  They fixed the problem immediately.  Customer service at Chill Factory is incredible!  They will walk you through any problem and answer any question. Very nice people! I highly reccomend for $3,800 (not including install and tune)
jump9.gif

AAAssjani.gif

Can you adjust the amount of boost on the C.F. system? Can you guess at the decibal level of the dump pipe? A Yosh race pipe is rated at 101 decibals. How does it compare to this?

What "pain" does using an internal gate cause down the road and why? Is this only a problem if one decides to alter the origional system for more power later on? [/QUOTE]

I think that you have answered your own question on that one for the most part.

Back