Building my own turbo system

busaboy007

Registered
This is my question I have a t3t4 turbo from an ecplise and I was wondering if I had to have an edjustable wastgate cause the one that is on it its I've been reading as much as I can about turbo system. Just to get all the knowledge I can how and wear do I run the vacumn lines for the waste gate. I'm trying to make the system work as cheaply as possable. Cause I'm not the one with 4k to throw out for an pro turbo system my goal is 200 to 220 hp
Posted via Mobile Device

internally gated turbos are not really optimum for this application. boost creep on bikes is really bad from what i've heard.

Trust me, if you don't wanna spend 4 grand, then don't mess with a turbo system. My best friend & I have put together 2 systems, kind of pieced them together, & by the time we were done, we were at $4,000! Just buy a good kit, bolt it on & call it good! Mine was over 5 grand because we made so many mistakes because we didn't understand everything you really needed to make a turbo system work! I have learned from my mistakes! :cheerleader:

Cody

2.jpg

Last edited:
These guys are correct! IF you own or have easy access to a tig, mig, grinders, cut-off wheels, etc,.............a lot of patience,........and a lot of time,..........then definitely go for it. Being your first attempt,........plan for minimum 100-125 hours. If you have any "do overs",.......add time.

And now the money that you MUST spend.

New GT2860R Garrett turbo----------$1100
Inline Bosch fuel pump---------------$260
BEGI FMU---------------------------$250
Misc. for fuel system(hoses, clamps,
fuel filter,fuel rail inserts, etc---------$200
Tial external wastegate--------------$225
Intake tubing and aluminum sheets---$150
Air filter-----------------------------$50
Header flange and 321 SS j-bends----$250
Exhaust tubing-----------------------$75
BOV---------------------------------$100
Power Commander-------------------$325
Good dyno tune----------------------$200
other misc. that I can't think of at
this moment-------------------------$250

At this point,......over $3200. There is other misc. beyond what I've mentioned. I did my own system because I thought I could do it for about half,............but as you can see,............I should have worked my day job a few more hours and bought a new system. Not trying to discourage you from doing your own setup,..............it's a great feeling when it's finally done,..............just be sure you are mentally up to the task. Design and fitment are huge factors in time. Poor fitment will haunt you for the remaining time you own this bike.

But what you really have to ask yourself,...........is saving a $1000 worth,........weeks, months,........or years off my life to build this,.....................or buy a new system and install it in a weekend??? If I ever do it over,........I'll choose the latter. Good luck with your choice!!!!

These guys are correct! IF you own or have easy access to a tig, mig, grinders, cut-off wheels, etc,.............a lot of patience,........and a lot of time,..........then definitely go for it. Being your first attempt,........plan for minimum 100-125 hours. If you have any "do overs",.......add time.

And now the money that you MUST spend.

New GT2860R Garrett turbo----------$1100
Inline Bosch fuel pump---------------$260
BEGI FMU---------------------------$250
Misc. for fuel system(hoses, clamps,
fuel filter,fuel rail inserts, etc---------$200
Tial external wastegate--------------$225
Intake tubing and aluminum sheets---$150
Air filter-----------------------------$50
Header flange and 321 SS j-bends----$250
Exhaust tubing-----------------------$75
BOV---------------------------------$100
Power Commander-------------------$325
Good dyno tune----------------------$200
other misc. that I can't think of at
this moment-------------------------$250

At this point,......over $3200. There is other misc. beyond what I've mentioned. I did my own system because I thought I could do it for about half,............but as you can see,............I should have worked my day job a few more hours and bought a new system. Not trying to discourage you from doing your own setup,..............it's a great feeling when it's finally done,..............just be sure you are mentally up to the task. Design and fitment are huge factors in time. Poor fitment will haunt you for the remaining time you own this bike.

But what you really have to ask yourself,...........is saving a $1000 worth,........weeks, months,........or years off my life to build this,.....................or buy a new system and install it in a weekend??? If I ever do it over,........I'll choose the latter. Good luck with your choice!!!!

:beerchug:

problem is you dont need to use a garret DBB
master power is half the price of a garret DBB turbo and a quality piece
and you dont need to use SS pieces cause mild steel works fine (trust me i use it with no problems)
and i know what it cost for items and i know what i can build turbo kits for cost wise
and a boshe isnt needed there are a few better priced pumps that work very well
but i build turbo kits so i know quite a bit about the pricing and the parts required

problem is you dont need to use a garret DBB
master power is half the price of a garret DBB turbo and a quality piece
and you dont need to use SS pieces cause mild steel works fine (trust me i use it with no problems)
and i know what it cost for items and i know what i can build turbo kits for cost wise
and a boshe isnt needed there are a few better priced pumps that work very well
but i build turbo kits so i know quite a bit about the pricing and the parts required

Hey Chris,.......if you are into turbo builds,.......then hook the Brother up needing the system! :thumbsup:

And you are correct about some of the decisions being made for less money,.....but I tend to go overkill when it's my own. :poke:

Thanks for all the imputs. I recently welded close the internal wastegate on the t3t4 and found a friend with an hks BOV and wastegate for 100 dollars. It was off an dodge srt4. So at least now I can start to build the system. And leave the fueling bull**** for anotherday. Guesse I might have to talk to chris more for fueling parts thatnks everyone
Posted via Mobile Device

Back