To Test Ride, Or Not To Test Ride???

Would you allow a potential buyer to test ride your bike?

• Yes, anybody can ride it. After all, it's insured.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No, not even a potential buyer.

Votes: 45 63.4%
  • Yes, only if it's someone I know to be a good rider.

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
NO NO NO. Even if there is cash in hand if he gets in a crash then you are still laible. People tend to see $$$ when things go wrong. He could make a lot of arguments about the breaks or tires caused a crash. I have seen friends turn on each other when the $$$ appeared. Save your self some trouble and a friend. No test rides.

i'm surprised no-one else picked up on this important part of your dilemma.....
u have insurance but rego has expired = NO INSURANCE PAY-OUT if he throws it down the road....:whistle:
that should make your decision re: letting him test-ride it :thumbsup:

check your fine print on your policy He is right. Heck mine was normal font.

i agree with everyone else here- no free rides while it is in my name! there is way too much liability if something goes wrong!!

Last edited:
Sure, they can ride it..........with cash in my hand and a copy of their insurance policy.

A friend of mine tested a bike back in the day and went down on it. He had the gall to sue the owner saying the throttle stuck. It didn't. The law suit dragged on for 6 years and he lost, but both parties payed lawyers dearly.

Frankly, only you can make the decision on how good a friend he really is; How much faith do you have in "if you wreck it, you bought it"?. Would you let him ride your bike on any other day? Does he have insurance that covers him/you riding someone else's bike? It's a shame we have to be so careful because of frivilous lawsuits and liability, but it is what it is. Theres not many people (but a few) I would extend this privilege to.

Only way I'd let a potential buyer ride is if he shows his endorsement and let's me hang on to FULL asking price in CASH. I've never had any takers when selling.

If you want to sell it then I would say Yes you need to let the potential buyer ride it. I know if the shoe was on the other foot and the seller wouldn't let me ride it I would think he was hiding something.
Use common sense, is this rider just going around to take free joy rides? No offense but people wanting to take joy rides don't take the time and effort to ride an 06 Honda. If you are selling a 350HP custom turbo busa then I would be very careful in who I let take it for a test ride.

i was an absolute nervous wreck the one and only time I EVER let anyone ride Bella.....and I ride with this guy regularly, one of my bestest friends. and I allowed him to ride her only to convince him it was as powerful and he would not be disappointed buying one. his biggest bike was a GSX1000R, so I knew he could handle the power, but shes a 100lbs heavier.....

:laugh: Somebody has been grave digging! Thanks for the input though.

not for me, I will be more than happy for someone to drive/ride next to or behind me or to a reputable bike shop to have it looked at or whatever. They can then test ride it when the money is in my pocket and the title has been signed over making it a done deal. I have never rode a bike until I purchased it or would I ever ask to ride it.

Back