First Streetbike

First Streetbike - Decisions, decisions?

• Ninja 250

Votes: 33 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

motogp08

Registered
I'm trying to decide what to do. I get paid in February and have the choice of a Ninja 250, or the other options i listed above.

I want you guys' opinion because you've got enough experience to be reliable and you're my busa family.

My friends that i ask are no-good for bike opinions because their kinda biased or unkowledgeable about bikes.

I've got 1500 to use to get a bike. I was thinking about another rifle, but i'm going to go out of my mind if i don't get a bike for spring riding season.

Any thoughts are appreciated! And lets try not to jack this thread, i really want you guys imput as to what i should do. I've only got a couple of months to decide.

I'm leaning towards the 250 ninja, but let me know if that's a bad idea.

I'd rather not waste my money on a poor investment. winkold.gif

Thanks in advance! beerchug.gif

An enduro can teach you alot. They r fun and great starter bikes!

Contact your Insurance agent, I would think the Ninja would be more expensive to insure. The Enduro will be more forgiving in a drop. The New design 250 Ninja looks sweet but will be a bit pricy. Regardless of what you buy it will be a temporary bike. You will be wanting to step up within 2 years, so I don't suggest a new one.

Don't forget you need to budget for some gear and a MFS class"¦..both should be mandatory on your list.

I'd look at a used SV650 for a starter bike. You won't outgrow it in a few months, and when you are ready to move up, you won't lose a bunch of money on it.

Motogp08,

Remind us of your age. The answers might vary somewhat going to a 16 year old compared to a 25 year old. Your asking these questions shows a lot of maturity! Age, income, and maturity, attitude, and riding experience all play an important part in bike selection.

Professor

With that many posts I should be asking you that Q! First off what can you get but headachs with 1500? Unless you get a break from a bud etc. Save the $$ and go for a good 650 atleast. beerchug.gif

I "tried" to ride that Ninja 250.... seemed more like a traffic hazard to me (slow) but I am 6'2 and 235lbs My first bike was an enduro and was a blast... I think a bike in the dirt is the best place to learn myself... falling off is not so bad and no traffic to deal with... That was a lot of years ago however and there were lots of places to ride in the dirt without getting into trouble.. (Pueblo West CO)

How about a used Katana? They are almost the same weight as a Busa, so you would get used to that. And they are very forgiving as a starter bike. Plus you could pick them up pretty cheap, right around $2000.

I would go with an Enduro it is more forgiving in if you drop it not to mention you can have fun off road with it as well.

Motogp08,

Remind us of your age. The answers might vary somewhat going to a 16 year old compared to a 25 year old. Your asking these questions shows a lot of maturity! Age, income, and maturity, attitude, and riding experience all play an important part in bike selection.  

Professor
He either just turned 18 or is going to soon.

I'd go w/ a used 250 to start with and move up from there. Definately need to budget for gear and MSF, which if I remember right, you were already planning on that

personally I would say stay off road until you are 21. But that is me. I know I prob wouldn't be here if I had a bike at 16.

I started on a 99 ninja 250 when i was 17. It was a fun little bike and was a very good learner bike but i got bored with it quick (about 6 months). And insurance on it was next to nothing. I think i was paying about $30 a month. I stayed on it constantly for those six months and that got me ready to move up to a 97 Vulcan 1500 and then to the Busa. With as quiet and small as that bike is, it will get you used to people not paying you any attention on the roads. Whatever you get, just be careful out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back