Tires

As Dadofthree says, there are lots of good tires out there so do your research and choose wisely.

............. I'm sure whatever you choose will work just fine! :beerchug:

+1

In fact, I would bet if you put on the HPX, Storm, Pirelli Angels, BT016/021, PP2ct's, Q2's or any of the other "Sport Compounds" you will have a tough time pushing any of them to their limits on the street..

So much of tire selection is just "mental" anyway.. Having put a few different tires on the track and watching others on different street "sport tires ", it is pretty amazing how close they all really are under track conditions..

Pick the tread, price and name you like and enjoy the ride :)

Dunlop Qualifiers are garbage on heavy bikes like the Busa. Fronts are usually cupped after a 1000 miles.

uhmmm...sumpt'in musta been wrong...any number of things..wrong air pressure...mis-alignment...whatever...but i'm 1k miles into my 2nd quali front w/ a new Q2 rear and these tires rock...and my 1st front didn't get lumped up until quarter size patches of cord started popp'in through..and it even did that in a very consistant way...at the end of every outter sipping/tread groove there was a quarter size patch of cord...but that's when it did start gett'in lumpy...when it was fried, dried and laid to the side.

L8R, Bill. :cool:

DJSIN is running the angel ST on his bike. if you want a review, he'd be a good one to ask. I'm still on my original set of tires on my bike at 4200 miles.

Dunlop Qualifiers are garbage on heavy bikes like the Busa. Fronts are usually cupped after a 1000 miles.

I've had the exact opposite experience with Q's. Remarkable tire with no irregular ware.

Cupping is almost alway related to poorly adjusted rebound.

DJSIN is running the angel ST on his bike. if you want a review, he'd be a good one to ask. I'm still on my original set of tires on my bike at 4200 miles.

stop riding like a girl. pop a wheelie now and again. i've been through 3 rear tires in 4500 miles. no burnouts, just riding hard.

Ogre: wow, personal attacks much? I could just as easily tell you to stop riding like an a$$hole.

Excuse me for being an adult.

I've had the exact opposite experience with Q's. Remarkable tire with no irregular ware.

Cupping is almost alway related to poorly adjusted rebound.

That's been my experience with Dunlop tires on a number of bikes (busa, cbr1100 etc) with properly maintained tire pressure and suspension. If they work for you, then more power to ya, it just hasn't been my experience; and a number of other riders I know.

+1

In fact, I would bet if you put on the HPX, Storm, Pirelli Angels, BT016/021, PP2ct's, Q2's or any of the other "Sport Compounds" you will have a tough time pushing any of them to their limits on the street..

So much of tire selection is just "mental" anyway.. Having put a few different tires on the track and watching others on different street "sport tires ", it is pretty amazing how close they all really are under track conditions..

Pick the tread, price and name you like and enjoy the ride :)

thats exactley what I'm always telling people....99% of the people out there(or on this board for that matter) arent capable of pushing even a sport touring tire to its limits.

That's been my experience with Dunlop tires on a number of bikes (busa, cbr1100 etc) with properly maintained tire pressure and suspension. If they work for you, then more power to ya, it just hasn't been my experience; and a number of other riders I know.

Every tire tells a story and they never lie. If your tire is cupping, it's a suspension problem and almost always rebound.

Tire construction has an impact on suspension adjustments. What works for a Michelin may not work well for a Dunlop etc.

If a dunlop cups on your particular bike and a michelin doesn't, it's because the dunlop doesn't like your suspension tune. Dunlop has a very stiff carcass and the michelin has a very soft flexible carcass. Each tire requires their own suspension tune.

thats exactley what I'm always telling people....99% of the people out there(or on this board for that matter) arent capable of pushing even a sport touring tire to its limits.

You are absolutely correct.

However, a nice gummy performance tire will allow you to get away with mistakes that a touring tire will not. That additional grip you get from a performance tire may seem like a waste of money since their life expectancy is only half that of a touring tire but if you avoid one crash due to the additional grip, your money was well spent!

:beerchug:

what about
tire vs price
what one would be a good tire for the cash ----for people that dont have deep pockets

I ran 2 sets of them on my Busa and loved them... Ran Deals gap, Cherahola and Hellbender at a slightly brisk pace and they never gave any hint of trouble or bad wear patterns.. I would rate them as one of the best tires I have run on the bike even.. Very predictable with plenty good feed back as they reach their limits of traction without just "letting go"

what about
tire vs price
what one would be a good tire for the cash ----for people that dont have deep pockets
Easy one.... BT021 Rear, BT016 Front Bridgestones... Do not try to run the 021 front... they wear way too fast on these bikes for some reason..

Great price on a tire that will give you pretty good mileage too

Last edited:
You are absolutely correct.

However, a nice gummy performance tire will allow you to get away with mistakes that a touring tire will not. That additional grip you get from a performance tire may seem like a waste of money since their life expectancy is only half that of a touring tire but if you avoid one crash due to the additional grip, your money was well spent!

:beerchug:

Yea but most of the crashes I have witnessed myself probably would not have been saved by the tire.. Yea there are a few low side washouts but most are crashes are pretty easy to see coming

Guy enters corner at a moderate pace, puckers up a bit, as a PR happens, he fixates , head comes up, stands bike straight up and runs off the darn road...

IF they could just stay committed, pick their exit point and stay with the game, we might get to see the tire let go.. :laugh:

Instead it is a rookie mistake of the wrong reaction to the situation..

Easy one.... BT021 Rear, BT016 Front Bridgestones... Do not try to run the 021 front... they wear way too fast on these bikes for some reason..

thanks man about what do they run and where do YOU get yours :thumbsup:

I think this is a great setup for the guy who want's to extend his mileage as well as decent cornering. The BTO16 keeps the front planted while the BTO21 dual compound has pretty sticky side grip.

This will be my next combination on my busa!

thanks man about what do they run and where do YOU get yours :thumbsup:

I get mine from our trackside vendor. You should be able to shop the online providers (Maybe even one or our sponsors) and find a 190/120 combo for under $250?

Every tire tells a story and they never lie. If your tire is cupping, it's a suspension problem and almost always rebound.

Tire construction has an impact on suspension adjustments. What works for a Michelin may not work well for a Dunlop etc.

If a dunlop cups on your particular bike and a michelin doesn't, it's because the dunlop doesn't like your suspension tune. Dunlop has a very stiff carcass and the michelin has a very soft flexible carcass. Each tire requires their own suspension tune.

You may be right.. I'm no suspension expert, I'm just speaking my personal experience and those of others I ride with. All I know is every time I ran a Dunlop Qualifier on a bike it was cupped at 1k -1.5k miles on the front. Seems that the design is more prone to scalloping than other front tire designs.

Im runninG HPX for the first time. definately worth it for me as I ride straights. My stock Bidgy flat centered pretty quick. HPX are lasting for now. I am not comfy riding hard corners with them though as I dont feel them grip too well, but in the rain and straights I'm riding with peace of mind!

Back