Tire Wear Disappointment

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
I know...and I've even heard others make such claims BEFORE I bought my Busa but I just never figured I'd ride so hard as to merit such poor milage from a rear tire...but I did...and at 2,433 miles I'm down to the wear bars on the rear.

2,500 miles out of a rear sux imho....so great bretheren of BusaLand....what's my options???

T.I.A. & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

...If you ask me your tires have lasted out well... I have a about 2000KM on my bike, and my tyre has reached TWI mark
blush.gif

i only have 1300 on my stock tire and it's pretty much gone, it could always be worse
i have launched on the street hard quite a bit though

I don't ride really aggressively and just got about 8,200 miles out of the original Bridgestone Battlax rear tire. (It got down to the wear bar at 8,000.) But, as I've gotten to know my Busa I'm driving more aggressively, so the mileage of the current tire should be a little less. I was surprised to hear about other riders getting 3,000 or 4,000 miles out of their OEM tire; maybe I ride much less aggressively than others, but I don't think so. I regularly accelerate at almost-wheelie rates, do mini power wheelies almost every time I ride, and have pretty narrow chicken strips. I wonder what the other riders are doing to wear down their tires so quickly.

hmm, I think the bike is just hard on tires in general
wink.gif

but .... umm... Jinksy, you werent exactly *easy* on them thar tires this past weekend
cool.gif
laugh.gif
one trip to the land o dragon knocks a few miles off the tires
smile.gif

Welcome to the land of Busa's.
Toasted mine at 2200.
Replaced it with my last Michelin Pilot Sport HPX I had in the garage.( good for 3500 miles of hard riding)
Ordered a match set of Michelin Pilot Powers yesterday from Tire express for 260 shipped.

Brings to mind a comment a friend of mine made who is the service department manager of the local cycle shop when I was buying my new tires. His comment and I quote (to the best of my memory)

"It always gets me when guys come into the shop and complain about having to replace tires and the cost of tires"

Not a slam to anyone on this thread, I am quoting the comment because we (the service manager and I) had a discussion about it and some of the comments he made put things in perspective.

Basically what he said is no matter how lightly you accelerate, you are leaving rubber on the asphalt. The harder you accelerate, the more rubber you are leaving. Even if you are taking off like a blind grandmother, slower than a snail in winter, you are leaving small amounts of rubber on the road.

Every time you decelerate, you leave small amounts of rubber on the road.

The reason why you normally have a 2 rear tire to 1 front tire ratio is because acceleration is the hardest on tires and when you accelerate the front tire is light and the rear tire is making most of the contact on the road.

In all things there are give and take. If you want to get more miles from your tires, get a hard compound. But you will not be as sticky in the turns.

My preference is I would rather go through more tires and have the peace of mind I am not going to slide in a turn.

If you want to stick like glue in turns, get a softer compound tire, but you are going to go through tires like Hefner goes through monthly playmates

I am thinking on stock Busa tires you should get around 3k to the rear and about 6k to a front. (average riding).

But it is all going to depend on your location also. If you live in flat land country and don’t see many twists, your tires are going to probably last you longer. If you live where I live where we have roads that have 50 miles of twisties in one direction, your tires are going to go pretty quick (if you ride them often).

Also keep in mind Busa specifics, not only is the bike itself at least a 100 pounds heavier than other bikes, but most of your bigger riders (size and weight) seem to choose Busa's for comfort. (you see a lot of big guys on Busa's, some that seem to dwarf the Busa) so you not only have 100 pound heavier bike, but you could have up to a 100 pounds of heavier rider. 200 pounds more on a bike with the power the Busa has WILL go through tires quicker.

So I would say as a generalization, the Busa community as a whole probably goes through tires quicker than other bikes

So I guess the solution for tire longevity is either lay off the throttle, or if you are using the Busa for mainly commuting go with a harder tire AND lay off the throttle.

Another member of the forum(S7r4nger) had of it during 14.000 km.  ok, the right hand of it is very light...
Tire Bridgestone Battlax BT 020

<!--EDIT|Rycardo
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114261198 -->

Thanks guys and since my front still has plenty of meat on it???....I think I will try a BT020 rear (justa finish wearing out the front) as these shellrock roads we have in florida eat sport tires like holding a pencil eraser against a belt sander...then I'll do the Michelin thing.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again & L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bill, I have got 1600 miles to the wear bars on 014`s and have a set of Pilot Roads at the shop for the Big Bad Busa...I run Roads on the ZRX with no complaints..

sounds fair to me.. out of the stocker anyways..

anything thats soft enough to give you good grip if you start pushing simply won't last...

you can get some of those touring tires if you don't plan on ever doing much turning.

8000 miles and three tires on my bike.Jinkster if you feel like the roads down there tear up tires the maybe one of the dual compound tire like the Michelin HPX would help. There are other companies making them now I think. I can tell you dont buy a battlax 012r. I got less that 2500 out of that one.
I will probably get beat up for this statement but in my opinion and expereince a softer tire on my bike will last longer because it hooks up better but even then its only better by 500 to maybe 800 miles.
It was good to meet you and hang out at the Busa Bash hope to see you next time.
Ride safe.

In my experiance I have no more tire slide out of a Pilot road then a 014. I have run the Roads all over the Ozarks with never a complaint dry or wet conditions..The Avon 46/46 is a good tire also from what I understand. I just do not think anyone is turning a Busa hard enough to need more tire..and yes there is always the exception..A buddie of mine low side at the Gap on his ZX12r with Avons on it, but he swears it wasnt the tires..

Have to start a "tire fund". My next rear is hanging in the garage as we speak....with your fund, you can be ready to jump on sales or great deals. I have never been able to get more then 2000. Just the way it is....you're (see that spelling?) spinning the tire a ton just on hard acceleration.

Kev...sounds to me like I definantly better stay clear of the BT12R's LOL!!! Thanks man and meeting you was my pleasure...especially when I was sucking down those brat burgers like lays potatoe chips!!!...as in...nobody can eat just one..LOL!!! Helmets off to your lovely wife Kathy and all the food prep she did for us....you're both fantastic folks.

This being florida I don't often times get the opportunity to do much turning but when I do???..it usually comes in the form of a sweeper at 120+...but I think I could get along just fine on a "Sport Front/ST Rear" combo such as a BT010 Front/BT020 Rear or...Pilot Power Front/Pilot Road Rear...kinda combo...where the back might fish a bit but the front won't wash out on me but for now I guess I'll replace the worn rear with a BT020 if I can find one local...meanwhile???...It's my middle daughter Marissa's 12th Birthday and she wants me to take her out to breakfast on the Busa...So Bob Evans???....here we come!
biggrin.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I got around 1800 miles out of my stock busa rear and around 1600 out of the stock 10 rear. 2500 sounds mighty good to me.
biggrin.gif
I think the Powers will go at least that long though. They stick like stink but just don't seem to wear very much at all...

Bill,

If I got 2500 miles out of a rear I would be tickled to death. Here is a post I made in a thread several months back about different tires.

I have used several different tire brands/compounds since I have owned my Busa(99). Ranging from the stockers, BT010's, Pilot HPX's, M1's and Pilot Race H2's. Mileage has varried from 3500 down to 770 miles on the rear. The 3500 coming from the stock BT56 down to 770 from susprise, the M1.

Talking to different tire reps at dealer shows, they all agree, when refering to a Busa, throw everything you hear about tire wear out the window.  All of the reps agree the Busa is a different animal than 99% of the sportbikes on the market. With the weight, torque/hp figures it will eat a tire much faster. Like this is info we already did not know.  

Living in the mountains of Western North Carolina, I have great roads within a mile of the shop. I get a chance to unwind everyday after work with a nice ride home. I also push the limits of a tire I want to know what works and when. I am by no means of an expert on tires for the Busa, I just know what works for me.

The BT56's were great. They provided a good balance of grip/mileage. Plus being the 1st tire I ever used on the Busa, I probally wasnt riding that hard. Excellent wet and dry traction.

Next up were the BT010's. Another great offering from Bridgestone. I was able to get about 2000 miles out a rear. I made one trip to Deals Gap with the 010's. Very predictible, traction good at full lean.

When the Pilot HPX's came out I wanted to give them a spin. They were very stable and the best tire in the mountains I had used so far. I wore both front and rear out at 1500 miles. I had never wore a ft and rear out at the same time ever. My biggest problem was the cost on that tire.    

After hearing tons of excellent reports on the M1. I gave them a go. I was totally impressed with everything or so I thought. These tires stick like glue and slide very predictable. I put them on a week before a trip to the Gap. I did drop to a 190 rear and it took a little getting use too. I put 440 miles on the Busa at the Gap and Skyway plus a run down into North georgia. When I got home, I noticed the tire was wearing VERY fast. I ended up with 770 miles on the rear. To say I was disapointed with the wear was a understatement.  

I taked to a few roadrace guys that I ride with about my experience with tire wear. They suggested I give a true race tire a go. Their logic was I was spinning the rear thru the corners and a stickier tire would grip better. I was really hesistant about using one on the street due to the horror stories I had heard, no rain traction LOOOOOOng warm up.

This summer, I bought a set of pilot race H2's. These are the hardest of the Pilot Race line, they offer the S2(soft), M2(medium) and the H2(highway). From the info I recieved from a Michelin rep, the H2 is designed as a race tire for the street. He told me it will survive many heat cycles.

After one very brisk ride here at home I was hooked. These tires, with their race profile, cornered like a cat on carpet. I had the guys behind me tell me that the rear was not spinning nearly as bad in the corners as the M1. I made two trips to the Gap using this tire. The side to side transition was greatly improved. The rear was wearing very good I thought for a race tire.

I did get caught in a down pour with the H2's. Well it was more of a monsoon, lol. They were able to make it through the rain very well. I would not have wanted to be at highway speeds in a downpour with these tires.

I ended up with 2021 miles on the rear H2. Over double that of the M1 I had previously used, with better stick. The one downside...I ride year round and with temps in the 40's & 50's, there is no traction to be had, even with 28lbs in the rear. I still plan on using H2's but only in warmer weather.

I now have Pilot Powers on the bike and I can wait till we get some good weather to see how they do. I will probally have these on for Busa Bash III and should have some good feedback.

I guess the point of my rant is to say dont let generalized tire statements make up your mind what tire you need to use. If I had listened to that logic I would have never experienced the outstanding mileage and stick of the H2's.

Match the tire to what kind of riding you do.

<!--EDIT|vman1300
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114277832 -->

I  have used the dunlops and i wore out a dunlop in 1700 miles, the stocker wore out in 3300 miles and the bridgestone bt014 has 4000 on it now and i figure i have about 500 or less mile i can put on it before needing to be replaced.

maybe will try to get to the track before i replace it.....
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|BLU88
Reason for Edit: None given...|1114292534 -->

Back